Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

So... I'm technologically backwards. Can somebody tell me how you embed those youtube videos? (Feel free to berate my incompetence first, just be sure to educate me once you've finished.)

So... I'm technologically backwards. Can somebody tell me how you embed those youtube videos? (Feel free to berate my incompetence first, just be sure to educate me once you've finished.)

It took me a long time to figure it out... without spaces

[ video ] YOUTUBE SHARE LINK [ / video ]

Hey, that's Eduard Khil!  :D

P.S. I've spotted your reference to the Russian Winnie the Pooh earlier on this forum. I love it that you (1) somehow found this cartoon; (2) found it interesting.  

I figured you might also like couple of others:

1) Sort of a Tom&Jerry, but very Soviet and with wolf/rabbit in place of cat/mouse. www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3hIdOcRLk

2) A series about a Soviet boy who decided to leave his parents and live on his own in a village, because he wasn't allowed to have pets (a cat). 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aamATyJa48  -- that's the first episode, there should be couple more of those on youtube.

This is great, thanks!

Mother: Choose now! It is either him (referring to the cat) or me?

Father: Well, I've known you a long time so I choose you...

My favorite still is Vinni Pukh though. The cartoon has so much character, the characters have a lot of soul, and the dialogues are so well constructed. Oh and Vinni Pukh himself isn't giving this bizarre impression that he is half naked in this version - admittedly, it might be just me who thinks that way about the American Winnie.

Youtube videos: I am just pasting the youtube link and it just appears that way. I wasn't aware of the etc magic

Edited by TheGnome

Surprised that there's still no word from Pitt. Anyone heard from them at all? This upcoming week and the following one could be pretty busy! 

Anyone's guess? It seems quite elaborate for a troll, considering the info. On the other hand, if the GPA/GRE/research experience is right, I can't imagine UCSD saying it was just average (not to mention, where would that person have gotten this info from)?

Anyone willing to claim? If not, I'd say it's likely it's a troll...

Yes, the UCSD reject was a troll. Word around the department is that the adcom is meeting later this year then they did last year, so I wouldn't expect to see results for at least another week. Also, I think posting rejections last year before admissions was a fluke (word has it that the department got extra money right as decisions were about to go out, so they still sent the rejects but waited to redo the offer letters for the acceptances before sending them). 

This is great, thanks!

Mother: Choose now! It is either him (referring to the cat) or me?

Father: Well, I've known you a long time so I choose you...

My favorite still is Vinni Pukh though. The cartoon has so much character, the characters have a lot of soul, and the dialogues are so well constructed. Oh and Vinni Pukh himself isn't giving this bizarre impression that he is half naked in this version - admittedly, it might be just me who thinks that way about the American Winnie.

Youtube videos: I am just pasting the youtube link and it just appears that way. I wasn't aware of the etc magic

Russian cartoons are delightful. Everyone's talking about Frozen right now, and I just want to direct people to the Soviet version of The Snow Queen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Queen_%281957_film%29)

what usually come first: offers or rejections?

Even better, check the results board for your specific schools (e.g. put "political science university X" in the search window), and see how it was in previous years.

There is a new posting of admission to FSU.  Zudei is that you? 

They admitted someone on Jan 23 and then there is the new post from today, February 2, 2014. Why the intervening period between admission decisions?

Dear future colleagues,

[dear competitors,]

dear lurkers,

As a first time poster, let me make two remarks. First, thanks to all the posters for upholding this forum's joviality. Never have I seen pats on the back to such a degree of regularity on an internet outlet of hopes and anxieties. Well done.

Second, I was a much calmer and less anxious applicant before I knew about this forum. I had not been expecting to hear from any school before mid February, and now I can't let an hour pass without checking results or websites or e-mails.

Out of interest, and to kill the wait, I'd like to put a few questions out.

- How important is a school's location for you? Of course, it makes a huge difference whether you move to LA or to Ithaca, but what role does this play for your decisions?

- How many of aspiring political scientists have a background in another discipline? Any sociologists, anthropologists, economists, physicists, philosophers, statisticians, mathematicians, econometricians among you?

- Any Americans who applied outside the US, and who would like to take up a job abroad at some point?

(I'm aware some of these questions have been addressed elsewhere, but this forum is too quiet for the regularity I check for news.)

Hi guest2401, and welcome!

Yeah, gradcafe is an odd sort of place: it does both soothing some anxieties and exacerbating others. In any case, good luck with your season!

I'll venture to answer your questions.)

- for me, location is important. I am one of those people who are not (devoted to academia enough to be) ready to move wherever just to be able to get a degree. I want all parts of my life to be more or less in harmony, and so I considered I wouldn't want to spend 5-6 years in a place that makes me miserable. I tried to only apply to places where I would be willing to relocate. Because of it I didn't apply to some schools that would be a good fit otherwise, instead trying to find equivalent options (in terms of fit and ranking) somewhere else more agreeable. 

Also, many people here (including me) have to factor their relationships in when making decisions where to apply and where to go.

- I myself come from a philosophy background, and I got an idea such transitions are not uncommon.

- I am not an American, of course. :) But I heard that (in Political Science) it is easier to get a job in Europe with an American degree, than to get a job in the US with a European degree. Somewhere in this thread people talked about it, but my source (which is not at all anything authoritative) is mainly my conversations with my colleagues and professors in Europe and the US. So here I'm restating a common impression, rather than providing a valid source of information. 

What about you? Are you coming from a different academic background yourself? 

Edited by jeudepaume

On location: Location is important, but not the make or break, I'd say. I much prefer metropolitan living, public transportation (or walking/biking), thirty coffee shops in a mile radius, etc. While this is all important to me, there are reasons I'd give up these things - though I notably didn't apply anywhere I thought I'd be unhappy to live. I did also have to take into consideration my girlfriend's preferences, especially when it came to cities that are far away from NYS (if she is going to move across the country with me, it'd better be somewhere she wants to live kind of thing).

I deliberately chose not to pursue a degree outside of the U.S. because I want to conduct research in the mainstream of US political science, and ideally teach in the US as well.

On location: Location is important, but not the make or break, I'd say. I much prefer metropolitan living, public transportation (or walking/biking), thirty coffee shops in a mile radius, etc. While this is all important to me, there are reasons I'd give up these things - though I notably didn't apply anywhere I thought I'd be unhappy to live. I did also have to take into consideration my girlfriend's preferences, especially when it came to cities that are far away from NYS (if she is going to move across the country with me, it'd better be somewhere she wants to live kind of thing).

I deliberately chose not to pursue a degree outside of the U.S. because I want to conduct research in the mainstream of US political science, and ideally teach in the US as well.

Man, as person who grew up as far from NYC as possible (and for whom this city has always been surrounded by a myth of being "the world's capital") I can't imagine why anyone would want to move from there. )))

Edit: Oh I've just realized you wrote NYS, not NYC. 

Edited by jeudepaume

Man, as person who grew up as far from NYC as possible (and for whom this city has always been surrounded by a myth of being "the world's capital") I can't imagine why anyone would want to move from there. )))

Edit: Oh I've just realized you wrote NYS, not NYC. 

Haha yup, not a New Yorkah in the NYC sense. Though I would love to live in NYC. I have a cousin who's a department chair in another social science field at a school in NYC. She gave up a big home in Vegas for a mini apartment in Manhattan.

I have to take my girlfriend's preferences, too, but hers should not be make or break. And location in general should not be make or break. 

Edited by jazzrap

I have to take my girlfriend's preferences, too, but hers should not be make or break. And location in general should not be make or break. 

In my girlfriend's case, wherever we end up will require acquiring certification for that state for her profession. For some states this is very easy, and for others it's a real challenge. So that was part of the issue.

I also applied to some long shot schools I otherwise would not have applied to, except that she has family very nearby and it was important to her that I tried.

In my girlfriend's case, wherever we end up will require acquiring certification for that state for her profession. For some states this is very easy, and for others it's a real challenge. So that was part of the issue.

I also applied to some long shot schools I otherwise would not have applied to, except that she has family very nearby and it was important to her that I tried.

So is your girl friend German or foreign citizen in general? 

I have to take my girlfriend's preferences, too, but hers should not be make or break. 

Edit: oh nevermind, I think I translated "should not be" in a wrong way. I'll save my 'personal stories.' :)

Edited by jeudepaume