Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I just got an email this morning from my adviser (who's a BC grad) saying that BC got in touch with him about my application. Apparently I'm 'particularly promising' (his words) and they want to know that I intend to get the PhD since BC tends to accept people who are intending to get the PhD. 

This is the first good news I've gotten in this admissions cycle (even though it's not official or anything), so I'm really excited. Apparently I'm promising!

I just got an email this morning from my adviser (who's a BC grad) saying that BC got in touch with him about my application. Apparently I'm 'particularly promising' (his words) and they want to know that I intend to get the PhD since BC tends to accept people who are intending to get the PhD. 

This is the first good news I've gotten in this admissions cycle (even though it's not official or anything), so I'm really excited. Apparently I'm promising!

I really wanted BC to "fit" me. I'm very active in the Jesuit education scene, and I absolutely love Boston. Sounds like promising news - fingers crossed!

I really wanted BC to "fit" me. I'm very active in the Jesuit education scene, and I absolutely love Boston. Sounds like promising news - fingers crossed!

I'm finishing my undergrad at a Jesuit university and I've really learned to love the Jesuit way of doing things. And BC, honestly, might be the best fit of the schools I applied to. So I guess we'll see!

I'm finishing my undergrad at a Jesuit university and I've really learned to love the Jesuit way of doing things. And BC, honestly, might be the best fit of the schools I applied to. So I guess we'll see!

Ah, should have known. I attended mass at the St. Joan of Arc chapel at what I assume to be your school. I'll be there for a conference in March, actually. :)

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Ah, should have known. I attended mass at the St. Joan of Arc chapel at what I assume to be your school. I'll be there for a conference in March, actually. :)

You assume correctly! I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't yet been to mass there. Should probably get on that before I graduate. It's a beautiful building, though. I had a class there once on early Catholic drama. 

Congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances over the past couple of days :)

I've developed a new morning routine this week:

1. Wake up

2. Check email

3. Check Gradcafe Results Board

Unfortunately, my university is on break right now, so I don't have nearly as many distractions as I would like ;P

Well absolutely NOTHING is happening with admissions... so I thought I'd ask the forum for their opinion on "ranking". 

So I might be totally wrong about this but the two major rankings systems I found for political science phd programs are:

1) http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/political-science-rankings

2) https://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124714/

Which one do people value more?

I think one of the major theoretical questions I have related to ranking is personal fit v. rank through the prism of potential job opportunities after completion. If you get into a T20 program but your POI isn't as closely related to your interests as someone in a T60 program what do you do? Along the same lines, what if your POI in a T60 program is a field leader (a chaired full professor and/or department head) and your POI in the T20 program is an up and coming tenured professor (but still not a full professor)? Is anybody else thinking about this possibility or is it just brutally obvious that you choose the T20 program? Of course the assumption is that funding and cost of living is more or less the same at either institution.   

Well absolutely NOTHING is happening with admissions... so I thought I'd ask the forum for their opinion on "ranking". 

So I might be totally wrong about this but the two major rankings systems I found for political science phd programs are:

1) http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/political-science-rankings

I think one of the major theoretical questions I have related to ranking is personal fit v. rank through the prism of potential job opportunities after completion. If you get into a T20 program but your POI isn't as closely related to your interests as someone in a T60 program what do you do? Along the same lines, what if your POI in a T60 program is a field leader (a chaired full professor and/or department head) and your POI in the T20 program is an up and coming tenured professor (but still not a full professor)? Is anybody else thinking about this possibility or is it just brutally obvious that you choose the T20 program? Of course the assumption is that funding and cost of living is more or less the same at either institution.   

Yes, absolutely thinking about this. There are no easy answers. FTR, I refer to US News for general rankings, and NRC for more specific qualities. NRC is more valuable, but requires more brain power to interpret.

That said, the difference between a T60 and T20 can be pretty significant. Ph.D. isn't only about your substantive interests, it's also about your training. Chances are, a T20 will train you better to be a political scientist, even if the T60 has a superstar in your field. This isn't always the case, but it's important to consider. The T20 is also much more likely to get you interviews down the road. Don't forget, your research interests will likely expand and change over time, too, so you shouldn't sell yourself on a program based on one professor (if you have options anyway).

That is all to say that maybe a T60 could be your best option for a lot of reasons. But my immediate instinct is to favor the T20, when faced with such a choice.

(side note: perhaps this mind experiment might be better comparing T20 and T40, or T40 and T60, etc.)

That said, the difference between a T60 and T20 can be pretty significant. Ph.D. isn't only about your substantive interests, it's also about your training. Chances are, a T20 will train you better to be a political scientist, even if the T60 has a superstar in your field. This isn't always the case, but it's important to consider. The T20 is also much more likely to get you interviews down the road. Don't forget, your research interests will likely expand and change over time, too, so you shouldn't sell yourself on a program based on one professor (if you have options anyway).

That is all to say that maybe a T60 could be your best option for a lot of reasons. But my immediate instinct is to favor the T20, when faced with such a choice.

(side note: perhaps this mind experiment might be better comparing T20 and T40, or T40 and T60, etc.)

Besides training, your cohort will also play a huge role in how your future publications/networks will play out, so that is something to think about as well. I have asked several of my professors about this in the past two years, and the general response has been - unless the two schools are similar enough in rank/placement (and not necessarily in terms of US News rankings etc, but also how well known they are in your particular subfield), you should definitely go to the better one. 

Actually, one of my professors told me unequivocally that one should go to the best school he/she been accepted to, and then adjust his/her topics of interest accordingly based on the school's strengths. People tend to switch topics in grad school anyways, and from what I have been told, the pervasive opinion is that you should not be swayed too much by your current interests in choosing schools because it could very well negatively affect your future job prospects. 

So two of my letter-writers in the last couple of,days said they expect several more acceptances... Not really easing the pressure, if ya know what i mean ..

Hi!  You sound cryptic, were your letter writers contacted by any of the schools you applied to?  Care to share with us, what you mean? Feel free to send a PM if you wish.

All the best! 

Edited by aecp

Yes, absolutely thinking about this. There are no easy answers. FTR, I refer to US News for general rankings, and NRC for more specific qualities. NRC is more valuable, but requires more brain power to interpret.

That said, the difference between a T60 and T20 can be pretty significant. Ph.D. isn't only about your substantive interests, it's also about your training. Chances are, a T20 will train you better to be a political scientist, even if the T60 has a superstar in your field. This isn't always the case, but it's important to consider. The T20 is also much more likely to get you interviews down the road. Don't forget, your research interests will likely expand and change over time, too, so you shouldn't sell yourself on a program based on one professor (if you have options anyway).

That is all to say that maybe a T60 could be your best option for a lot of reasons. But my immediate instinct is to favor the T20, when faced with such a choice.

Ya I didn't want to use specifics because I don't have specifics yet. I don't think that many people do considering that so few schools have already reported decisions. I also think that layman name-brand, regardless of program rank, plays an important factor as well, i.e UPenn at 28, JHU at 40 and Brown at 45 (amongst many others). This is applicable not specifically for tenure-track jobs but for additional opportunities. I guess I'll use an example (I have not received a decision from this institution). I know that for what I want to study, Brandeis has more than a few incredible POIs and a recognized name but it is ranked 68 according to USN. From talking with people affiliated with the program, that has a lot to do with its incredibly small size and how the rankings are formulated. I can easily see myself thriving there over many other programs of significantly better rank. 

I know this is a totally theoretical problem... one I hope to have (and that we ALL HAVE) but probably won't... but I figure it is better for us all to remain positive while the new admissions are nonexistent. 

Ya I didn't want to use specifics because I don't have specifics yet. I don't think that many people do considering that so few schools have already reported decisions. I also think that layman name-brand, regardless of program rank, plays an important factor as well, i.e UPenn at 28, JHU at 40 and Brown at 45 (amongst many others). This is applicable not specifically for tenure-track jobs but for additional opportunities. I guess I'll use an example (I have not received a decision from this institution). I know that for what I want to study, Brandeis has more than a few incredible POIs and a recognized name but it is ranked 68 according to USN. From talking with people affiliated with the program, that has a lot to do with its incredibly small size and how the rankings are formulated. I can easily see myself thriving there over many other programs of significantly better rank. 

I know this is a totally theoretical problem... one I hope to have (and that we ALL HAVE) but probably won't... but I figure it is better for us all to remain positive while the new admissions are nonexistent. 

Good luck with Brandeis. Don't wanna say anything bad but be prepared to teach from the first semester. They accept only 3-4 people each year and expect their students to teach. Also, the relative size of the department causes some problems like funding although students usually get fellowships at Harvard thanks to close relations between Brandeis and Harvard faculty. Anyways, I should not rant a lot  :) Good luck!

Congrats new admits!

I am somewhat optimistic that since I didn't recieve word yesterday about my boulder decision, that I am, first of all, not an easy outright rejection. Further, if I WAS borderline waitlist/reject, I would likely have just received a waitlist decision if they are still reviewing my file on the last day of decisions. My guess is that today they are examining the borderline waitlist/admit applicants as they narrow down their second round picks for admittance. So even though the wait is grueling, I am probably better off if their decision comes later tonight than earlier. I think they are narrowing and narrowing, until they are confident with sending the second round acceptances, at which time they will send a mass email of sorts. (Again this is just my guess.)

Or, they lost track of my application or to send off my rejection notification...but I am trying to think positive for a change.

Congrats new admits!

I am somewhat optimistic that since I didn't recieve word yesterday about my boulder decision, that I am, first of all, not an easy outright rejection. Further, if I WAS borderline waitlist/reject, I would likely have just received a waitlist decision if they are still reviewing my file on the last day of decisions. My guess is that today they are examining the borderline waitlist/admit applicants as they narrow down their second round picks for admittance. So even though the wait is grueling, I am probably better off if their decision comes later tonight than earlier. I think they are narrowing and narrowing, until they are confident with sending the second round acceptances, at which time they will send a mass email of sorts. (Again this is just my guess.)

Or, they lost track of my application or to send off my rejection notification...but I am trying to think positive for a change.

My letter came long after I was in bed (being 8 hours separated from Boulder). I think like 8 p.m. their time. If you don't hear tonight, you might consider reaching out to them, since they did promise January decisions.

My letter came long after I was in bed (being 8 hours separated from Boulder). I think like 8 p.m. their time. If you don't hear tonight, you might consider reaching out to them, since they did promise January decisions.

I already left a phone message with the graduate office (that has yet to reply) so I will probably wait up until Monday to, as politefully as possible, inquire about my status. 

Thanks, it's good to know the mass first round decisions were dispersed exactly a week ago tonight. Which only further supports the possibility that the adcom has scheduled to meet tonight probabaly at the same time as last week to make a second round of  final decisions. I will take a break and start refreshing my email incessantly around 8. Hope is still alive!

PS - I tried to upvote you, but sadly I have maxed my quota.

Edited by sylark

Hope is alive sylark, it is alive. Still, even if you don't get an acceptance there, you have many great outstanding applications and a good profile. Don't let anything get under your skin. Also do not discount your probability of getting into other places if you get a rejection. With all due respect to Reverend Bayes, this is probably the worst thing we can do to ourselves, yet we all do it.

Also hearty congrats to WUSTL admits. Great place, great training. I didn't apply there myself, since IPE is not my cup of tea, but their program is surely mouthwatering. 

Also hearty congrats to WUSTL admits. Great place, great training. I didn't apply there myself, since IPE is not my cup of tea, but their program is surely mouthwatering. 

Who does IPE at WUSTL besides Nate Jensen, who's leaving? I really like WUSTL (they have a great formal theory group) but I don't know them to be much of an IPE-house.

Edited by RWBG

I'd definitely say that those two rankings are the most talked about. However, I think there is some value to checking out older rankings with vastly different methodologies:

1) McCormick & Rice (2001) - Graduate Training and Research Productivity in the 1990s: A Look at Who Publishes

2) Hix (2004) - A Global Ranking of Political Science Departments

3) Schmidt & Chingos (2007) - Ranking Doctoral Programs by Placement: A New Method

4) Oprisko (2013) - Honor, Prestige, and the Academy: A Portrait of Political Science Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty in Ph.D.-Granting Institutions

As for the fit vs. rank discussion...in my opinion they're both incredibly important. Personally, I placed a great deal of emphasis on fit when choosing where to apply to lessen the possibility of the fit vs. rank dilemmas later on down the road. If I'm fortunate enough to have choices, I'll be able to focus upon rank and financial aid, resting assured that every choice is a swell fit.

As one who (loftily) aspires to someday teach at a well-regarded R1, shooting for a highly ranked program makes good career sense; having already determined that it's a pretty good fit makes it all the better. 

And making a decision based on fit entails more than one professor. That's my two cents.

Who does IPE at WUSTL besides Nate Jensen, who's leaving? I really like WUSTL (they have a great formal theory group) but I don't know them to be much of an IPE-house.

You are right of course, my bad. No idea why I had that preconception. Maybe they used to have an IPE group? Anyway, without pushing my luck any further, correction: WUSTL doesn't have an IPE group. 

Man, one can't get away with BS-ing even for 20 mins around here.