Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I also made an explicit case for mixed methods in my application, and I simply assumed that there was a place for that at all or most top 20s, independent of a particular POI. Is the situation more complicated than I thought? Or are you saying here that you did not identify that POI who may be unavailable, but they inferred that individual through the rest of your app?

Sure; if by mixed methods you mean formal + quant, NYU can be a great place!

Nope. I'm assuming my PoI pushing 70, and my wish to do mixed-methods ousted me. It's all good, though, as I would prefer UCSD to NYU anyway, since UCSD is a much better fit! You considering staying another 5 years in SD?

I would be really hesitating between NYU and UCSD, if NYU accept me off the list.

Those were two separate things, my PoI's age and my mixed-methods agenda. While I think most places within the Top 20 are open to Mixed-methods, I specifically detailed some qualitative stuff. Places like NYU (and of course Rochester) are, I would say, less open to this kind of agenda than most other top-20 places. Moreover, I just guessed that these might be contributing factors, it's entirely possible/plausible that my app just wasn't strong enough overall, which is why I have not heard from NYU as of now. Might have been just me trying to feel better about my application/chances at other places :rolleyes:

Rochester and NYU were the ones that struck me as particularly quantitatively focused. Mixed methods means different things to different people.. coming from the UK I'm sure my conception of this is more qualitative than a Rochester grad ;)

I would be really hesitating between NYU and UCSD, if NYU accept me off the list.

The New UCSD hier would be perfect for your interests, but NYU is the stronger methods department. I am less interested in developing methods, and much more so in applying them to specific interests, which is why I want good methods training, but don't necessarily want/need NYU's emphasis. With my regional interest, UCSD is a lot stronger than NYU, also in my substantive interest, but I definitely see where you're coming from! Definitely holding out hope for your WLs!

I'm not sure whether I'd choose Michigan or UCSD, if I get into Michigan off the WL...

The New UCSD hier would be perfect for your interests, but NYU is the stronger methods department. I am less interested in developing methods, and much more so in applying them to specific interests, which is why I want good methods training, but don't necessarily want/need NYU's emphasis. With my regional interest, UCSD is a lot stronger than NYU, also in my substantive interest, but I definitely see where you're coming from! Definitely holding out hope for your WLs!

I'm not sure whether I'd choose Michigan or UCSD, if I get into Michigan off the WL...

My hesitation is really not that relevant to academic pursuit. I hesitate given the fact that NYU is in driving distance from New Haven.

LOL

My hesitation is really not that relevant to academic pursuit. I hesitate given the fact that NYU is in driving distance from New Haven.

LOL

Figures. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either school, they're both amazing! If you wanna choose one school for personal reasons, that's fine. Just try to think of what happens if the personal reasons disappear. Will you regret having chosen school X or Y over Z? I honestly don't think any of the schools you're considering would be cause for this kind of thing, but I also believe its important to think about this as well!

LOL

Seems like we are in the same boat! Trying to choose between NYU and UCSD, because I'd like to be close to New Haven for personal reasons. Trying to put it off until Yale sends out admissions because that would just make my life so much easier. 

Seems like we are in the same boat! Trying to choose between NYU and UCSD, because I'd like to be close to New Haven for personal reasons. Trying to put it off until Yale sends out admissions because that would just make my life so much easier. 

What are your research interests, if I may ask? Good luck on Yale!

I know what you mean, and this has me worried. 

I got my first admit thru the website, but have received no email notification or anything in the mail... Should I be worried? On the website I got a link to a page that had a congratulations message, saying I had been admitted so maybe it's just me panicking for no reason... but I can't help notice that nearly all admits are notified by email. 

I tried to calm myself down by thinking that maybe it's because I'm being considered for a Fellowship, TA or RA... but there is still that lingering doubt. Such a foul after taste.

Edit: Completely different discipline however xD I fell upon this thread thru a search in the forums. Guess i'm just desperately grasping for support.

You've come to a good, supportive place. Have you tried calling or emailing the department for a confirmation? They may be open tomorrow, but if not, you should be able to reach someone (and ease your fears) on Tuesday.

FYI, in terms of flying back home every once in a while, East Coast would be much preferable to me. However, my research interests are in China, which makes West Coast better! Will have to figure it out once all results are in (of course, Europe would be even better for going home regularly...)

FYI, in terms of flying back home every once in a while, East Coast would be much preferable to me. However, my research interests are in China, which makes West Coast better! Will have to figure it out once all results are in (of course, Europe would be even better for going home regularly...)

ironically, the one school that rejected me (so far) is in my hometown.

I've spent a bit of time thinking about airport logistics because of family and other travel commitments. Each coast has its conveniences, but a bigger consideration to me is availability of direct flights. I moved from a big east coast city to a big west coast city to a small west coast city, and travel from a small city is a real pain. I thought Cornell was a great fit for me, but I breathed a small sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to try to get into and out of Ithaca. And interestingly, I think you can get to Europe non-stop from San Diego, but not to China.

we are definitely on the same boat. :)

I've spent a bit of time thinking about airport logistics because of family and other travel commitments. Each coast has its conveniences, but a bigger consideration to me is availability of direct flights. I moved from a big east coast city to a big west coast city to a small west coast city, and travel from a small city is a real pain. I thought Cornell was a great fit for me, but I breathed a small sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to try to get into and out of Ithaca. And interestingly, I think you can get to Europe non-stop from San Diego, but not to China.

No direct flight to Germany, though, meaning I'd likely take a train down to LA and the fly, or change in some city in Europe (they seem to go to London and The Hague?). Non-stop isn't such a huge concern for me, honestly. More frequency and speed! I highly doubt ill be able to afford non-stop anyway ^^

Turn the map rightside up before you board the train  ;)

Nonstop to The Hague? Huh, that's interesting. I wonder why. Frankfurt or Amsterdam would make much more sense in terms of being able to catch connections. There's a nonstop to Tokyo from SD, so if you don't mind a connection, I'm sure you could reach anywhere else in Asia with only one stop.

Turn the map rightside up before you board the train  ;)

Nonstop to The Hague? Huh, that's interesting. I wonder why. Frankfurt or Amsterdam would make much more sense in terms of being able to catch connections. There's a nonstop to Tokyo from SD, so if you don't mind a connection, I'm sure you could reach anywhere else in Asia with only one stop.

Might be Amsterdam as well, not quite sure. I just saw that it's not direct to Frankfurt (which seems strange to me), and that was it for me. I'll probably fly out to the Visiting days (though from Berlin), and will check in more detail for that! Thanks, though!

What are your research interests, if I may ask? Good luck on Yale!

Like half of the poli sci world (drat!), my research interest is political violence so yale would be a fantastic option not just for personal reasons but for academic reasons as well. Fingers crossed for everyone! Feels like a couple of big ones will be coming in next week, which could really be completely devastating (lookin at you, yale columbia stanford!!)

I am nowhere but here. I need closure.

Pretty please, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, and Yale? Bring closure soon.

I feel that entirely. I've been putting off scheduling my personalized visits (why is almost EVERY visit the weekend of March 20th?) in case one of the schools I haven't yet heard from is having their visit on the date I'd pick to go...