Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Some reading for those who haven't gotten much results. I've said before and I'll say it again. There are many many structural reasons why people don't get into grad school, and a lot of it has nothing to do with you. Also, many people in academia are not smart or bright or thinkers. Just because you haven't gotten in anywhere does not mean you aren't all of those things. :)

http://www.gradientlair.com/post/64895770239/no-phd-for-me-moving-on-with-life

I agree with you, but the person who wrote this article sounds unhinged, paranoid, and bitter.  Everyone is stealing her content?  Everyone is looking at her website?  Perhaps they are looking, but that's a very normal part of reviewing someone's application for graduate school.  And, it's interesting that academia only makes her sick after all her PhD applications were denied.  Perhaps she just was not a good fit--writing blog posts serves a distinct purpose compared to producing academic research.

But, to be clear, there is absolutely a life outside of academia.  The important thing is figuring out where you fit and excel in the world and pursuing that.  For some of us that's academia, for others business, for others blogging, and so on.

Edited by James Alcott

Some reading for those who haven't gotten much results. I've said before and I'll say it again. There are many many structural reasons why people don't get into grad school, and a lot of it has nothing to do with you. Also, many people in academia are not smart or bright or thinkers. Just because you haven't gotten in anywhere does not mean you aren't all of those things. :)

http://www.gradientlair.com/post/64895770239/no-phd-for-me-moving-on-with-life

I agree with you 100%. But then she starts in all valid places, and draws the oddest conclusions... It's not even clear she (or the people in the comments) understand what academia is, other than a title to throw before your name.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Me (a girl) was planning on a nice pair of pants (think either black jeans or slacks, no dress pants, though) or a skirt (not denim, classic cut, knee-length), a blouse/dress shirt, a sweater vest and/or a black blazer, also depending on weather. I usually feel like my mom in a full-on suit/costume, so prefer to mix-and match nice clothes that make me feel comfortable. Also, comfortable shoes (no heels), but no sneakers (though I'm usually always in sneakers)...

I'm also comfortable in three piece suits, but nobody wants to be that guy when you haven't even earned your pretentious prestige yet. ;)

I think I'm scarred from my school experience in that regard. Went to boarding school in Britain, had to wear a checkered plaid skirt, a white dress shirt, a tie and a blazer every day... I also went to a German BS where we had to dress formally for dinner! So, when I have the choice, I prefer business casual (or even full-on casual).

Me (a girl) was planning on a nice pair of pants (think either black jeans or slacks, no dress pants, though) or a skirt (not denim, classic cut, knee-length), a blouse/dress shirt, a sweater vest and/or a black blazer, also depending on weather. I usually feel like my mom in a full-on suit/costume, so prefer to mix-and match nice clothes that make me feel comfortable. Also, comfortable shoes (no heels), but no sneakers (though I'm usually always in sneakers)...

Wait you a girl? didn't know that

Wait you a girl? didn't know that

Everyone seems to think I'm a guy. Had this Q come up a couple of times :D, so figured I'd clarify without being too obvious/obnoxious about it! I don't mind either way, though!

I'm also comfortable in three piece suits, but nobody wants to be that guy when you haven't even earned your pretentious prestige yet. ;)

No, no, that doesn't apply to suits. The only thing you have to keep out of your wardrobe is the elbow-patched jacket.

What's wrong with elbow-patched jackets? You can never go wrong with extra protection for the elbows.

You have to earn them, though! Every level has their own mark of rank.

Pre-Comps graduate students have coffee stains, ABDs have permanent key imprints on their cheek from falling asleep on their computers, assistant professors have a haunting weariness in their eyes, etc. Once you're a real boy full professor, you've earned your patches! And the right to fall asleep mid-lecture, give a big snore, and then go back to it.

I think I'm scarred from my school experience in that regard. Went to boarding school in Britain, had to wear a checkered plaid skirt, a white dress shirt, a tie and a blazer every day... I also went to a German BS where we had to dress formally for dinner! So, when I have the choice, I prefer business casual (or even full-on casual).

I so did not expect you to be a girl, that at first I thought it was a Scottish school or something. )))

You have to earn them, though! Every level has their own mark of rank.

Pre-Comps graduate students have coffee stains, ABDs have permanent key imprints on their cheek from falling asleep on their computers, assistant professors have a haunting weariness in their eyes, etc. Once you're a real boy full professor, you've earned your patches! And the right to fall asleep mid-lecture, give a big snore, and then go back to it.

I shall earn my elbow patches one day :lol: