Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I think most people who haven't heard from Chicago by now know that it's a rejection so it shouldn't be too bad.

I can't wait to critique the rejection letter.

Edited by Cazorla

Ah seriously? That's actually not so cool. After filling out long applications and paying the dreaded application fee, students deserve at least a boring rejection email, come on.

That's not cool at all. I know sometimes graduate schools are in charge of sending out rejections while departments take the acceptances and waitlists, but as Princeton demonstrated, it is possible to coordinate the two. For heaven's sake.

Seriously, after taking the time to fill out applications and paying the application fee, which it's not cheap at all, not sending any emails is disrespectfully cruel. I haven't applied to UChicago, but I'm really sorry if they actually did this to applicants anyway. 

how about Yale? traditionally they issue one round of offer right after President's Day

Yale's been mentioned as notifying this week, but we don't have insight information. Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

Tell me about it! Anyone up for emailing JR? I don't want to bother them too much, since I sent two emails regarding my fellowship, and am thus probably quite well-known already^^.

The business day is just beginning on the West coast right now. If nothing pops up by tomorrow, someone should email.

I can't wait to critique the rejection letter.

I've actually been rating my rejection letters! So far, Ohio State's the best one I've received, with points granted for tact, gentle comfort without condescension, and writing more than a couple of lines.

I've actually been rating my rejection letters! So far, Ohio State's the best one I've received, with points granted for tact, gentle comfort without condescension, and writing more than a couple of lines.

My rejection letters have all been extremely respectful. I don't have huge expectations, but I think someone at Chicago has lost sight of the fact that they have applicants' hopes and dreams in their hands. Would it be so hard to send a blast email, once they're sure, that informs applicants of the rejection? They could always mention that they're still working on MAPSS decisions.

Speaking of not hearing, has anyone heard anything from UCLA?

I haven't. If you look at past years though, they do not send out rejections until mid-March or later.

Sorry. I really wanted to surf again too though. 

NYU confirmed: The admissions process is ongoing, and they'll get all results out "in the next weeks."

Very nice and rapid response. Curiosity continues.

I kind if dont wanna get my hopes up, but at the same time, if they were just rejecting all of us who haven't heard yet, why o why wouldn't they just tell us?

What is this about Columbia sending out at 2pm?

anxious2151 posted this:

hoping for columbia today. They released decisions last year on a Tuesday, around 2pm EST. This is burned in my mind forever because it was probably the worst day of my life sigh...

My rejection letters have all been extremely respectful. I don't have huge expectations, but I think someone at Chicago has lost sight of the fact that they have applicants' hopes and dreams in their hands. Would it be so hard to send a blast email, once they're sure, that informs applicants of the rejection? They could always mention that they're still working on MAPSS decisions.

True, and as far as I understand it they do it every year. So we have years of consistent poor rejection handling. Really tells something about the department in my view. 

True, and as far as I understand it they do it every year. So we have years of consistent poor rejection handling. Really tells something about the department in my view. 

Princeton is apparently another repeat offender, in that their rejection email has been having a grammatical error for a while now (they also have, for a while now, had different fonts in there...)! Not sure why noone bothers to correct it, as it would be an easy fix!

I can't remember which former UChicago student talked about profs laughing about application packages/applicant emails in this thread - a tidbit that frankly gave this international applicant from a virtual red-brick university nightmares. That, combined with the consistent poor handling of rejections, makes me happy to not have applied to Chicago.

Princeton is apparently another repeat offender, in that their rejection email has been having a grammatical error for a while now (they also have, for a while now, had different fonts in there...)! Not sure why noone bothers to correct it, as it would be an easy fix!

"honey badger just don't care"

Last week. Sent an email on the 12th, got this on the 13th:

" We should be alerting you with our final decision shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Best wishes,

SG" (edited for anonimity)

Fyi last year I received my NYU rejection late feb bundled with an acceptance to their quant masters program, so this could be the same situation as uchicago and mapss

The last two Tuesdays, I got acceptances. Now my superstitious self thinks I'll get something today. (Though, likely, I'm just working myself up for nothing. Forgive me while I refresh my email incessantly.)

Fyi last year I received my NYU rejection late feb bundled with an acceptance to their quant masters program, so this could be the same situation as uchicago and mapss

Good info! I asked not to be considered to their MA program, so still counting that as a rejection!