Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

It seems like Northwestern only sent out acceptances for Theory and IR last week. I expect the acceptances for American and Comparative to come out anytime now..

There may be some IR to come yet, too (not IR myself). It looked like the IR ones were also theory. I guess it would make sense for them to notify their theory people first, given their reputation for theory.

Who wants to harass the department secretary? ;)

On a happier note, has anyones else's acceptance started to sink in? I've been wanting to do a PhD since I started college. Can't wait for the lifestyle change I have a head!!!

Oh, I'm so excited. I was told by faculty at my school when I was applying that I was kind of a wildcard (choice quote "you're like an oddly shaped car. We have no idea how you're going to do on the market. You might do very well... or not.") & I did not have a plan B (moving into my parents' basement?) So I am really grateful that things have been working out & I am really excited for grad school.

Oh, I'm so excited. I was told by faculty at my school when I was applying that I was kind of a wildcard (choice quote "you're like an oddly shaped car. We have no idea how you're going to do on the market. You might do very well... or not.") & I did not have a plan B (moving into my parents' basement?) So I am really grateful that things have been working out & I am really excited for grad school.

You seem to have been doing great! Congrats!

For me, I'm always a couple of steps ahead in my mind, so I can't be happy until I know all my options and decide (which probably won't be before April). I also had a pretty cool Plan B, which I was excited about (granted, not as excited as doing a PhD), and feel a lot of pressure to make the right decision, which doesn't really help, I feel.

I did mention before that I'm a worrier, didn't i? :D

There may be some IR to come yet, too (not IR myself). It looked like the IR ones were also theory. I guess it would make sense for them to notify their theory people first, given their reputation for theory.

Who wants to harass the department secretary? ;)

I heard back from Northwestern IR last week. Perhaps they are somehow scattering their announcements as well.

Emailed UChicago and NYU, since I haven't heard back from them, though people received their results over a week ago.

Now awaiting rejection emails.. Still, I'd much prefer knowing over waiting in the dark.

The Chicago DGS answered me yesterday, and said (unceremoniously) that anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance or wait-list notification has been rejected.

Emailed UChicago and NYU, since I haven't heard back from them, though people received their results over a week ago.

Now awaiting rejection emails.. Still, I'd much prefer knowing over waiting in the dark.

I emailed NYU last week. He said "shortly", which means something different to him than to me, I'm pretty sure (as for me, it meant within hours^^).

The Chicago DGS answered me yesterday, and said (unceremoniously) that anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance or wait-list notification has been rejected.

*imagines being a DGS 20 years from now*

Student e-mail: "I was hoping for some information about the status of my aplication [by then we've eliminated extra leters]."

Me as DGS: "If you'l folow me, you fine student aplicant, down the red carpet of rejection, a glas of champagne and a sad leter await you at the end."

Ceremony! :D

Ah seriously? That's actually not so cool. After filling out long applications and paying the dreaded application fee, students deserve at least a boring rejection email, come on.

Ah seriously? That's actually not so cool. After filling out long applications and paying the dreaded application fee, students deserve at least a boring rejection email, come on.

They might offer some people a Masters acceptance?

NYU confirmed: The admissions process is ongoing, and they'll get all results out "in the next weeks."

Very nice and rapid response. Curiosity continues.

when did you email them? emailed them this morning and haven't heard. Overinterpreting this in...3-2-...

That's not cool at all. I know sometimes graduate schools are in charge of sending out rejections while departments take the acceptances and waitlists, but as Princeton demonstrated, it is possible to coordinate the two. For heaven's sake.

when did you email them? emailed them this morning and haven't heard. Overinterpreting this in...3-2-...

Last week. Sent an email on the 12th, got this on the 13th:

" We should be alerting you with our final decision shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Best wishes,
SG" (edited for anonimity)

Emailed them a few hours ago. Don't overinterpret --I'm sure they receive so many emails, and some might get lost.

I don't know if I can tolerate another week of waiting for Stanford.

Tell me about it! Anyone up for emailing JR? I don't want to bother them too much, since I sent two emails regarding my fellowship, and am thus probably quite well-known already^^.

Confirmed: UChicago: "The Office of the Dean of Students will email all official admission decisions and they expect to do so by February 18."

So, today.

So, there should be some movement today at least. Unfortunately, looks like a blood bath :wacko: