Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Did you have a phone interview for Binghamton? I have an interview this week with them, and I'm curious if they're doing that for everyone, or just people they're on the fence about. 

Yes, I did have a phone interview this past Friday.  I really have no idea if they are doing that for everyone or just some people. Good luck though!

Visiting weekend dress was already discussed

I think that dressing up too much not only requires unnecessary effort but also makes one look out of place in the academic setting, as if one is trying too hard or doesn't understand academic culture. Fretting over whether your pants are perfectly pressed or your earrings match your eyes is probably thought of as a distraction from serious scholarly concerns (or something).

Personally, I was planning to wear khakis, a polo shirt, and a sweater, which I think is respectable while still comfortable and not distracting.

Edited by James Alcott

I just sat down with my wall calendar and blacked out the days I'll be out of town. I'm spending more than 50% of the next 5 weeks away, and every weekend for the next 5 weekends. I'm glad I bought the nice luggage last year.

So apparently UVA has sent out 4 admits staggered throughout the last two weeks? What on god's green earth are they doing over there??

I am also waiting on UVA. I think they have a rolling admission system which tortures applicants. I think you would decline UVA since you have been accepted to Cornell and Umich, right?

How much effect is there in admissions when one of your recommeders used to work with your POI? I hear that it differs in the UK and the US, but I guess my real question is whether the will of the POI to take you on really matters.

How much effect is there in admissions when one of your recommeders used to work with your POI? I hear that it differs in the UK and the US, but I guess my real question is whether the will of the POI to take you on really matters.

Depends. Do they like your recommender?

Allow me to follow up--for example, one of my POIs called me before I got admitted and we had a lovely conversation and she says, "Oh, well, we're both *Name of my Research Advisor* fans." So in that scenario, it's a good thing. That being said, he also has a reputation of being an ass who works with no one unless he considers them worth his time, so a rec from him says a lot. If you have a rec from someone they've worked with in the past who skimped on their part of the article, a rec from them won't go near as far.

I cannot know for sure, but my recommender seemed that she was in close contact with her former advisor, and in return, the poi returned my email extensively. I assume that's a good sign, but after a rejection at UW under similar circumstances I'm getting rather worried.

I am also waiting on UVA. I think they have a rolling admission system which tortures applicants. I think you would decline UVA since you have been accepted to Cornell and Umich, right?

Impossible to say with total certainty at this point, but yeah, more likely than not.

I cannot know for sure, but my recommender seemed that she was in close contact with her former advisor, and in return, the poi returned my email extensively. I assume that's a good sign, but after a rejection at UW under similar circumstances I'm getting rather worried.

Hm. I like to think most LoRs are similar in the "John took my class. John received an A." unless something really stands out about you, like, "John created a formal theory solving world hunger." or something along those lines. In all reality, the prestige of your LoR writer is unlikely to be the deciding factor in whether or not you get into a program, unless, you somehow managed to get a LoR from Phil Converse or something (or the equivalent scholar in your respective sub-field.) If anything, it might have some subconscious influence on the committee. Further, it depends on if your POI is even on the committee/high enough in the department to say, "I want John. Make it happen." if they're not.

Hm. I like to think most LoRs are similar in the "John took my class. John received an A." unless something really stands out about you, like, "John created a formal theory solving world hunger." or something along those lines. In all reality, the prestige of your LoR writer is unlikely to be the deciding factor in whether or not you get into a program, unless, you somehow managed to get a LoR from Phil Converse or something (or the equivalent scholar in your respective sub-field.) If anything, it might have some subconscious influence on the committee. Further, it depends on if your POI is even on the committee/high enough in the department to say, "I want John. Make it happen." if they're not.

Yea, that is what I was thinking. And there is no way to figure out who is on the committee, right?

Yea, that is what I was thinking. And there is no way to figure out who is on the committee, right?

Not that I know of, unless of course you have contacts in the process. I only knew my POI at the school I referenced wasn't on the committee because she told me. That being said, she's enough of a BFD to get whatever she wants, so she doesn't have to be, or so I've heard. Which makes me quite giddy she wants to deal, I mean, work, with me.

Not that I know of, unless of course you have contacts in the process. I only knew my POI at the school I referenced wasn't on the committee because she told me. That being said, she's enough of a BFD to get whatever she wants, so she doesn't have to be, or so I've heard. Which makes me quite giddy she wants to deal, I mean, work, with me.

I envy your situation. I guess if the POI is fairly high up the chain of command, this may be some positive effect then. That makes me feel a little better. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed then. Thanks!

It won't help much in general, unless your recommender is reputable in the department you are applying to. That being said, it will be very hard for a professor with a narrow regional focus to be widely recognized.    

I recommend a tuxedo t-shirt because it says "I'm taking this seriously and am a classy individual" but it also says "I'm here to party"

I'll also be sporting a mullet for the same purpose. 

It won't help much in general, unless your recommender is reputable in the department you are applying to. That being said, it will be very hard for a professor with a narrow regional focus to be widely recognized.    

Yea, I guess so. Thanks!

Some reading for those who haven't gotten much results. I've said before and I'll say it again. There are many many structural reasons why people don't get into grad school, and a lot of it has nothing to do with you. Also, many people in academia are not smart or bright or thinkers. Just because you haven't gotten in anywhere does not mean you aren't all of those things. :) 

http://www.gradientlair.com/post/64895770239/no-phd-for-me-moving-on-with-life