Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I feel that entirely. I've been putting off scheduling my personalized visits (why is almost EVERY visit the weekend of March 20th?) in case one of the schools I haven't yet heard from is having their visit on the date I'd pick to go...

This.

Yeah, also it looks like Harvard historically notifies pretty late (early March?) which only compounds the problem

Question for everybody regarding admitted student weekends - is it in poor form to ask about spousal accommodation, provided that the school is offering a stipend to cover recruitment weekend travel? My own thinking is that a number of students considering prospective programs need to keep in mind their partners, so it's probably not a completely uncommon question, though I don't want to make a bad impression off the bat. If anybody has any experience in these matters it would be incredibly helpful. 

Question for everybody regarding admitted student weekends - is it in poor form to ask about spousal accommodation, provided that the school is offering a stipend to cover recruitment weekend travel? My own thinking is that a number of students considering prospective programs need to keep in mind their partners, so it's probably not a completely uncommon question, though I don't want to make a bad impression off the bat. If anybody has any experience in these matters it would be incredibly helpful.

I haven't seen any mention of spouses/partners. My husband is staying home. It would be nice to have him there, but the events are for students, and the travel budget seems to be about $500 for airfare plus transportation to and from the airport and events, and a shared hotel room or lodging with a grad student in the program.

I don't think you'll make a bad impression if you ask; in fact I don't think there will be any impression involved at all, as there probably is a number of students asking about it every once and a while. I do, however, think that it is highly unlikely that they will be able to provide an accommodation for your spouse. One of my schools included this information in their pdf prospect, saying that partners or family members can come to the weekend, but their stay is not covered by the school. 

One of my schools included this information in their pdf prospect, saying that partners or family members can come to the weekend, but their stay is not covered by the school. 

I have just spent exactly 4 minutes, staring at the screen blankly and trying to understand why the heck schools would talk about the pdf of their enrollment figures with a recent admit.

Time to go to bed? Affirmative.

I have just spent exactly 4 minutes, staring at the screen blankly and trying to understand why the heck schools would talk about the pdf of their enrollment figures with a recent admit.

Time to go to bed? Affirmative.

I just spent 20 considering which of the schools I've been admitted to would give me the best chance of winning their state Miss America pageant. Not that I've ever competed in a pageant, ever. But, you've gotta break the tie somehow, right?

What's the procedure for professors contacting you basically just to say they'd be interested in working with you, and they encourage you to accept their program's offer? Do you respond? If so, how?

What's the procedure for professors contacting you basically just to say they'd be interested in working with you, and they encourage you to accept their program's offer? Do you respond? If so, how?

Well, I thanked them for their email, told them I was very excited to find out that I had been accepted, said that their work was interesting and I would love to be involved in it at some point in the future, explained that it was not possible for me to make it for the student visit but wanted to know more about the program anyway and asked if it would be possible for them to answer some questions. So far I have a skype appointment with one Prof.

Well, I thanked them for their email, told them I was very excited to find out that I had been accepted, said that their work was interesting and I would love to be involved in it at some point in the future, explained that it was not possible for me to make it for the student visit but wanted to know more about the program anyway and asked if it would be possible for them to answer some questions. So far I have a skype appointment with one Prof.

Thanks zudei! I was also interested in this question. 

They very much are. I both have class (two classes, actually, back to back from 1:30 until 8:45, with a huge commute in afternoon traffic in between because my university has two campuses) and research assistance work this morning before class. It's going to be a very long day. 

Thanks zudei! I was also interested in this question. 

No prob JdP, I figured that if I was going to a program for 5 years, being frank would be a dominant strategy starting now. Cultivate honest relationships etc. So I decided to be nice and upfront.

I have officially been deemed too expensive for one of my visits. I declare this a success.

I just learned that my airfare budget for Michigan is $200 less than my airfare. Anyone who's been down this road before... did you pay the difference, or did schools increase what they were willing to pay if there were no cheaper alternatives?