Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

FYI, even though tomorrow is a "holiday," I don't know that all universities take off for it. My gf still has work tomorrow at Syracuse.

Maryland is open, too, for others waiting. Do we know how long they usually take with decisions, since the deadline was only a couple weeks ago?

Last year, they came out mid-March, I think, according to the results board, while PhD Government decisions should be out the beginning of March. They are really late!

Thanks, IRToni! I guess we all just have to sit tight and wait...

Good, so I'm not the only one! I was starting to worry... :D Ready for this cycle to be over!

I'm right there with you. I'm waiting on six more programs (including presumed rejections from Chicago and Duke), and I'd love more good news, but I'm very eager to have all answers in hand so that the March visits will have a sense of finality to them.

I'm right there with you. I'm waiting on six more programs (including presumed rejections from Chicago and Duke), and I'd love more good news, but I'm very eager to have all answers in hand so that the March visits will have a sense of finality to them.

Waiting on 7 more programs (including a presumed rejection from NYU).

they did not put you on the official waiting list?

Nope. I'm assuming my PoI pushing 70, and my wish to do mixed-methods ousted me. It's all good, though, as I would prefer UCSD to NYU anyway, since UCSD is a much better fit! You considering staying another 5 years in SD?

Nope. I'm assuming my PoI pushing 70, and my wish to do mixed-methods ousted me. It's all good, though, as I would prefer UCSD to NYU anyway, since UCSD is a much better fit! You considering staying another 5 years in SD?

I also made an explicit case for mixed methods in my application, and I simply assumed that there was a place for that at all or most top 20s, independent of a particular POI. Is the situation more complicated than I thought? Or are you saying here that you did not identify that POI who may be unavailable, but they inferred that individual through the rest of your app?

I also made an explicit case for mixed methods in my application, and I simply assumed that there was a place for that at all or most top 20s, independent of a particular POI. Is the situation more complicated than I thought? Or are you saying here that you did not identify that POI who may be unavailable, but they inferred that individual through the rest of your app?

Those were two separate things, my PoI's age and my mixed-methods agenda. While I think most places within the Top 20 are open to Mixed-methods, I specifically detailed some qualitative stuff. Places like NYU (and of course Rochester) are, I would say, less open to this kind of agenda than most other top-20 places. Moreover, I just guessed that these might be contributing factors, it's entirely possible/plausible that my app just wasn't strong enough overall, which is why I have not heard from NYU as of now. Might have been just me trying to feel better about my application/chances at other places :rolleyes:

My POI at Michigan is over 70 but it seemed to me like he is still active and publishing.

Yeah, there are quite a lot of people in the discipline working until a late age. Still, some of them might be hesitant to take on new students, since it will be another 5-7 years till we defend! Lots can change in-between.

FYI, even though tomorrow is a "holiday," I don't know that all universities take off for it. My gf still has work tomorrow at Syracuse.

Please tell me her work is for the admissions committee :D The wait is killing me.

Sorry no :( Fingers crossed for you though! If you want to feel better, just look at Syracuse weather reports.

Current SU MA student here. The bad weather up here is not necessarily a bad thing - it has had a highly positive impact on my productivity ;)

Interesting thing: from what I gather from the results submission board, a positive response almost never comes through the website.

They should have called it "a rejection status check" instead of "an application status check."

I guess I'll stop checking these things. :)

I know what you mean, and this has me worried. 

I got my first admit thru the website, but have received no email notification or anything in the mail... Should I be worried? On the website I got a link to a page that had a congratulations message, saying I had been admitted so maybe it's just me panicking for no reason... but I can't help notice that nearly all admits are notified by email. 

I tried to calm myself down by thinking that maybe it's because I'm being considered for a Fellowship, TA or RA... but there is still that lingering doubt. Such a foul after taste.

Edit: Completely different discipline however xD I fell upon this thread thru a search in the forums. Guess i'm just desperately grasping for support.

Edited by SgtP3pp3r