Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Did you have an interview? Mine still says "Under consideration by department", but then again, the graduate school withdrew it before reinstating, so might take longer!

No, I actually hadn't had an interview. Although I had already had an informal conversation with my POI and knew he would be interested in supervising me if I was accepted (my dissertation proposal is right in his subfield/niche). Anyway, good luck with your app! Would you be seriously considering Cambridge, or do you prefer the American programs you applied to? 

Edited by NYCBluenose

About the rank issue:

I'm quite worried about carrer prospects after the PhD. What are the things that matter for this?

-How well they teach you what you want to learn.

-How well they teach you what to want to learn - in order to be successful on the job market.

-Opportunities to network (that includes research centers, research assistanceships, travel money etc).

-Training\experience in teaching, programming, and other transferable skills. 

Isn't everything else secondary with respect to making this thing a career? And do rankings reflect how well programs offer these things?

My guess is that name recognition only matters if you leave the academic discipline.

Name recognition doesn't carry you very far in the non-academic world. As I heard one gentleman say, the only thing someone might remark on with regard to the program you got your PhD from is how well the school's sports teams are doing. Competence (and networking, which is gained by competence) is king outside academe.

Name recognition doesn't carry you very far in the non-academic world. As I heard one gentleman say, the only thing someone might remark on with regard to the program you got your PhD from is how well the school's sports teams are doing. Competence (and networking, which is gained by competence) is king outside academe.

I wouldn't agree with this. Don't know about the US, but in Germany, a degree from Harvard/stanford would at least get you an interview, pretty much independent of your other stuff, whereas a degree from UCSD or Michigan (e.g.) would probably not give you an interview, so they'd look at what you've done/your skills etc.

I still can't figure out which University the C in CHYMPS stands for.

I think I'll call Northwestern in a little bit to see what's going on.

I think it is California, for Berkeley.

Should be Cal-tech though. That program is boss. 

I think it is California, for Berkeley.

Should be Cal-tech though. That program is boss. 

I remember looking at Cal-tech not long after I began considering the possibility of US PhDs.. I can still remember my horror when I looked at the math classes they would like applicants to have done!

I remember looking at Cal-tech not long after I began considering the possibility of US PhDs.. I can still remember my horror when I looked at the math classes they would like applicants to have done!

Cal-Tech doesn't even have a PoliSci PhD. It's a niche program, even more niche than Rochester, in my opinion. It's amazing at what it does, but completely disregards at least 70% of the discipline!

I wouldn't agree with this. Don't know about the US, but in Germany, a degree from Harvard/stanford would at least get you an interview, pretty much independent of your other stuff, whereas a degree from UCSD or Michigan (e.g.) would probably not give you an interview, so they'd look at what you've done/your skills etc.

I guess it depends a bit on field, and certainly by locale. There are certainly think tanks that may be a little more selective, in the same way that academia can be. I've worked in the defense/development/diplomatic sector in government, non-profits, and private companies for four years now, and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone remark on the program someone went to, except maybe conversationally (as in: "Hey, you went to [Top 5 School], cool!"). Even if they went to LSE, Harvard, Columbia, etc.

ETA: And the usual banter involving nationalist identity school loyalty. 

Edited by cupofnimbus

Yes! We're going to play them off the pitch.

Tonight is going to be brilliant and terrifying! Pushing for an Arsenal win, but it's hard not to admire Guardiola's sides. They are beautiful!

Tonight is going to be brilliant and terrifying! Pushing for an Arsenal win, but it's hard not to admire Guardiola's sides. They are beautiful!

The man has inherited two of the strongest sides in the world. I hate Mourinho but I respect him much more than I do Guardiola.

I am so scared for tonight that I have chosen to miss the first half and go for Judo instead ^^

Edited by zudei

The man has inherited two of the strongest sides in the world. I hate Mourinho but I respect him much more.

I am so scared for tonight that I have chosen to miss the first half and go for Judo instead ^^

It's not like Mourinho takes over mid table teams and make them great either. Both of them only manage top teams with ridiculous resources and I doubt that that will ever change.

I think that both of them are overrated but I rate Pep more, mainly because Morinho's style can be like watching paint dry at times.

Even at the one school I applied to where acceptances and rejections have gone out, I still haven't heard back. This is so frustrating.

Wow. yeah, that sucks. My guess is that you will be getting a flood of info in the next two weeks. 

I got lucky and got accepted somewhere I want to go early. In the end though, it only matters until you know, then it doesn't. 

Good luck and hang in there. You will know eventually. No matter what. 

It's not like Mourinho takes over mid table teams and make them great either. Both of them only manage top teams with ridiculous resources and I doubt that that will ever change.

I think that both of them are overrated but I rate Pep more, mainly because Morinho's style can be like watching paint dry at times.

Mourinho is boring, but he builds all his teams compared to Pep who has inherited a solid core at both his clubs. You also forget his exploits with FC Porto. But yes, both spend a ridiculous amount of money.

The man has inherited two of the strongest sides in the world. I hate Mourinho but I respect him much more than I do Guardiola.

I can't really agree :) Barcelona were absolute rubbish when he took them over. Yes, they had some great players, but Madrid have had equally good/expensive players for years and barely won a thing. Pep took over at FCB after a couple of seasons of steady and embarrassing decline where they got smashed by Madrid. They finished in third and points-wise were closer to 11th place than to 1st. Then he had the vision to sell two of the teams three best players. He created an absolutely stunning side. 

I'd agree wholeheartedly with Munich being a top side. That's a really different kind of a challenge. Improving on a team that won the treble is truly impressive to me though. 

One of the funny myths around Mourinho is that he takes over lesser sides and leads them to glory of some sort. Inter had dominated for years when he showed up, Chelsea had an embarrassment of wealth to spend and was already in second place before pumping hundreds of millions into it, and at Madrid he took a team that was already the most expensive in the world and poured another 400million into it. He's an absolutely brilliant tactician in the short term, but as a long term manager his credentials are a myth.