Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I think it is California, for Berkeley.

Should be Cal-tech though. That program is boss. 

I still can't figure out which University the C in CHYMPS stands for.

Cornell? I don't really know lol. Btw, are you ready for tonight??!!??!

I'd always been under the impression that the C was for Columbia...

HYP is Harvard Yale Princeton, obviously, and then Columbia was added since it's also in the upper half of the Ivies, rankings-wise, and then M for MIT and S for Stanford, because strong programs and whatnot. 

Outside of California and internationally, most people refer to UC-Berkeley as simply Berkeley, and not Cal, actually. 

That aside, congrats to all the Columbia admits! Way to go guys! :)

(sobbing a little on the inside over here about not receiving notification, but mostly feeling okay about it)

HYP is Harvard Yale Princeton, obviously, and then Columbia was added since it's also in the upper half of the Ivies, rankings-wise, and then M for MIT and S for Stanford, because strong programs and whatnot. 

Outside of California and internationally, most people refer to UC-Berkeley as simply Berkeley, and not Cal, actually. 

I thought M was for Michigan! When I didn't freak about not hearing from Columbia yet, I realized I probably didn't wanna go there as badly as expected. If, by some miracle, I do get accepted (did any IR people hear back yet?), it'll be a discussion, cause I'd love living in NYC, but...

To be fair, 15 of those were History Phd programs, that I applied to before I switch to PS, although studying similar fields. I also only applied to the most selective programs, and for the past two years I was regionally restricted to between Philadelphia and NYC.

Dammit.

Chicago, have the decency to reject your applicants.

What about UCLA? There's been a huge lull period since their acceptances went out, and even though someone reported on the forums that they'd said notifications were still a work in progress...

That aside, congrats to all the Columbia admits! Way to go guys! :)

(sobbing a little on the inside over here about not receiving notification, but mostly feeling okay about it)

M is defs for Michigan, not MIT. And I was under the impression that the C was Cal-Berkeley

I thought M was for Michigan! When I didn't freak about not hearing from Columbia yet, I realized I probably didn't wanna go there as badly as expected. If, by some miracle, I do get accepted (did any IR people hear back yet?), it'll be a discussion, cause I'd love living in NYC, but...

Oh really? Maybe it is Michigan then, hmm...

Same, not panicking about Columbia as much as I'd expected. But then again, research interest-wise, it wasn't a great fit, so maybe I've just better prepared myself internally to deal with the disappointment there. 

Yeah, I'm IR and I heard from Columbia.

That must be so vindicating to finally get it! Congratulations!!

What about UCLA? There's been a huge lull period since their acceptances went out, and even though someone reported on the forums that they'd said notifications were still a work in progress...

Oh right, I remember last year I emailed them in March to find out what was going on.

Oh. I meant that rankings don't matter. overall or sub-field.

I'm afraid I'm still not clear on what you're saying )

To me "top-5", "top-10", and all that, are essentially (and defined by some sort of) rankings, aren't they? 

That was me.

I've applied for 4 rounds.

Finally.

Notice you have a low UGPA, but killer GREs. Did you take those multiple times? Do you think that made a difference.

I didn't do as well as hoped on the quant section (157) and feel I could get that up for future years (probably to 160+), but didn't think it mattered that much...