Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Florida's allocation process is weird to start with. They give waaaaayyy too much power to their super Greek controlled Student Government. But I digress. 

I don't really have a horse in that race, but I'm very, very familiar with that particular aspect of UF and even I find it not good.

I don't really have a horse in that race, but I'm very, very familiar with that particular aspect of UF and even I find it not good.

I met some of them at a conference last year and the more they told me about the way they do some things made my jaw drop.

Story time! Please? This is news to me.

They spend like $10k on a student body president campaign and control an ungodly amount of university funds. Between them and the University of Tennessee, it sounds like student body campaigns are like a two week tailgate

They spend like $10k on a student body president campaign and control an ungodly amount of university funds. Between them and the University of Tennessee, it sounds like student body campaigns are like a two week tailgate

More than that. I've been getting notifications about their elections since January.

More than that. I've been getting notifications about their elections since January.

They run in parties- I want to say they told me an SBP candidate was expected to contribute $10k to the campaign. It was like a year ago, so I don't fully recall all the details.

They run in parties- I want to say they told me an SBP candidate was expected to contribute $10k to the campaign. It was like a year ago, so I don't fully recall all the details.

Isn't this true of most large public schools? I remember reading about this in the daily at SUNY Buffalo. I went to a LAC, so our student government elections were basically who made the prettiest posters and has the most friends (like high school).

Isn't this true of most large public schools? I remember reading about this in the daily at SUNY Buffalo. I went to a LAC, so our student government elections were basically who made the prettiest posters and has the most friends (like high school).

I never gave much thought to how student governments really functioned. The Student Government at my undergrad fell apart after the outgoing members forgot to put together the election for a new government. You might guess how effective they were by that alone!

In a nutshell, yes. A lot of schools (mine included) don't run in parties. My univ has a significantly lower limit on funds (Less than $2k for an SBP campaign). That being said, I know people who sold off part of their livestock to run for SBP, so there's that. But I'm at a major R1 too. Varies by the culture of the school.

Me too. I was thinking I'd hear from them like 2 weeks ago.

Now I've pretty much been expecting a rejection, though, since there are already quite a few admits and I can't imagine many of them will be declined :/ Though I would be really happy to be wrong! 

Now I've pretty much been expecting a rejection, though, since there are already quite a few admits and I can't imagine many of them will be declined :/ Though I would be really happy to be wrong! 

I feel the same way. I'm hoping maybe they're going by subfield and they just haven't gotten to mine yet. But I feel like that's likely a stretch. 

Nor do I. Been waiting to hear from them for weeks :|

They're weird - they seem to be sending out their acceptances over the course of the whole admissions period. I just got an acceptance from them. Now I'm just waiting on Harvard and Stanford.

Got a call from Stanford!!!

They were trying to sell me basketball tickets. No joke. All I can say right now is, the man on the other end of the phone has seen happier customers....

That is hilarious. Hopefully you get the call you were waiting for soon :)

They're weird - they seem to be sending out their acceptances over the course of the whole admissions period. I just got an acceptance from them. Now I'm just waiting on Harvard and Stanford.

So it seems! 10 acceptances already! You're killin' it! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get accepted already?

On 2/19/2014 at 5:15 PM, Nords said:

So it seems! 10 acceptances already! You're killin' it! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get accepted already?

Duke, WashU, Rochester, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, Princeton, Michigan, Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill

I cast a very broad net when applying

...Please don't hate me xD

On 2/19/2014 at 5:18 PM, Orlien said:

Duke, WashU, Rochester, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, Princeton, Michigan, Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill

I cast a very broad net when applying

...Please don't hate me xD

Damn haha. That's a pretty intense list! Well done!