Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

To the person who was rejected from Stanford and wishes you'd told them you were African-American...

When the sting of the rejection wears off, I hope you feel pretty crappy about that comment. You should feel crappy about it.

Edited for grammar and anger.

Edited by mygrotianmoment

To the person who was rejected from Stanford and wishes you'd told them you were African-American...

When the sting of the rejection wears off, I hope you feel pretty crappy about that comment. You should feel crappy about it.

Agreed. It's a pretty shitty thing to say

I guess that we know of at least one case in which Stanford made a good call on a rejection.

...Are we expecting more positive decisions to come out from MIT... or this is it? 

Anyone admitted in IR? 

seems too early to have ended...

I'm also surprised not many on this forum are paying attention to MIT. 

History tells us that POI can email, phone, or just take no action and let people find out once the snailmail arrives.

I think the latter two are more likely for acceptances.  

I'm also surprised not many on this forum are paying attention to MIT. 

I think we are (A) hungover from the Stanford/Columbia rejections, and (B ) have given up all hope of trying to predict MIT's html-infused admissions notifications. 

Edited by packrat

Is anyone else obsessed with reading CVs of successful academics?  It's actually all I do with my life anymore...

This waiting is killing me. I was really hoping I'd hear from at least one more school this week. 

Yup. and also of grad students at schools I want to be in. And also young assistant profs that have moved on to great jobs. To the point where i can actually tell you who's been on who's dissertation committees...desperate stalkerish behavior  :o

I think we are (A) hungover from the Stanford/Columbia rejections, and (B ) have given up all hope of trying to predict MIT's html-infused admissions notifications. 

haha yea nicely put, especially (B )

Edited by timeless90

Poorly worded on his/her part perhaps, but I don't think it's terribly inappropriate for someone to regret not having highlighted structural obstacles that a person may have had to work especially hard to overcome. That would not have guaranteed admission --- we all know that, including the person who wrote that. But it might have shed light on why that person seeks to study political science. Having omitted that from a personal statement could be a very fair mistake. I spent a lot of time contemplating whether to state in my SOP that I identify as a minority in terms of sexual orientation. In the end I decided to include it because I felt it was relevant to my desire to study invisible power. So in that sense, I can relate to whomever made the post in question. I doubt it did anything except perhaps tie together my SOP in a manner that showed readers that there is a reason that I seek to do what I seek to do. 

Poorly worded on his/her part perhaps, but I don't think it's terribly inappropriate for someone to regret not having highlighted structural obstacles that a person may have had to work especially hard to overcome. That would not have guaranteed admission --- we all know that, including the person who wrote that. But it might have shed light on why that person seeks to study political science. Having omitted that from a personal statement could be a very fair mistake. I spent a lot of time contemplating whether to state in my SOP that I identify as a minority in terms of sexual orientation. In the end I decided to include it because I felt it was relevant to my desire to study invisible power. So in that sense, I can relate to whomever made the post in question. I doubt it did anything except perhaps tie together my SOP in a manner that showed readers that there is a reason that I seek to do what I seek to do. 

Hmm, I read it as a non-minority making a glib comment that they should have identified as a minority in order to get whatever supposed benefit that would yield w/r/t admissions.  Maybe I'm just jumping to the more cynical conclusion at this point.  Your reading is certainly giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.  

My sense is that most of the people who were frustrated by this comment were so because they assumed the author was white.

Is anyone else obsessed with reading CVs of successful academics?  It's actually all I do with my life anymore...

This waiting is killing me. I was really hoping I'd hear from at least one more school this week. 

I have been doing this compulsively for the last two years.  I share your disease.

B indeed... or maybe I'm just starting to embrace uncertainty (not really)

I am confused as to how I got into MIT and rejected from Northwestern on the same day.

However, the Stanford rejection makes sense.  Poor fit--my impression was that they are quant-heavy and trying to be economists.  Having dropped out of an economics PhD, it is crystal clear that that's not what I want.

Definitely. And trying to purchase a broad array of books to prepare, such as "Getting What You Came For": http://www.amazon.com/Getting-What-You-Came-For/dp/0374524777

I am confused as to how I got into MIT and rejected from Northwestern on the same day.

There seem to be a lot of these paradoxes this year. I remember reading earlier in this thread about someone who was admitted to Stanford but rejected from Northwestern, and another who was admitted to Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley and rejected from a Big 10 school (not Michigan).

Life is like a box of chocolates. Apparently so is PhD admissions.

As a gay man myself, I agree completely right down to the "as long as it is relevant to your research agenda" point. 

My sense is that most of the people who were frustrated by this comment were so because they assumed the author was white.

Yeah... because the default is always white in our society...

Edited by wwmiv