Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I'm pretty sure that's what Gtown does. I think GW does something similar? I was appalled at the number of DC-area schools that don't automatically guarantee funding to their admitted students.

Yep, Gtown and GW both are among the worst offenders in this regard. They don't even try to fund everyone!

I think they count on unfunded students going just for the brand. It's a bit cruel of them to do. 

I feel like Nexon posted on the Duck last year that there was only one, maybe two, funded IR slots at Georgetown (per cycle).  :blink: 

*awaits gif*

Edited by RLemkin

Okay, also in their defense a little bit (though I still think it's not okay not to fund PhDs): it was made very clear to me that most people who go to Georgetown unfunded find funding most semesters - it's just not guaranteed and they have to apply each semester. In fact, I met a woman who was completing her Ph.D. there, and she only paid for her first semester. Still, that's a big risk to take.

Okay, also in their defense a little bit (though I still think it's not okay not to fund PhDs): it was made very clear to me that most people who go to Georgetown unfunded find funding most semesters - it's just not guaranteed and they have to apply each semester. In fact, I met a woman who was completing her Ph.D. there, and she only paid for her first semester. Still, that's a big risk to take.

Big risk yes. And also a pain in the ass that distracts from the pursuit of academic things. 

I know several smart people who did their PhD at GWU, and that was also what they said. At the same time, though, they all mentioned that applying to all these fellowships cut into their research time.

Surprised GW is waitlisting people. Thought they were in the habit of just admitting without funding.

The email I received specifically says if admitted, I will be fully funded for 5 years.

My application status did not change on the website.

Nords,

Another point that was made to me by a member via PM:

If you are waiting only on wait-listed places and will reapply next year if not admitted, it might be helpful to ask the DGS or a POI how you can strengthen your application in the chance that you pursue a second cycle. This will allow you to express continued interest while also getting helpful information from them on what you'd need to push you over the edge the next time around. Good luck -- I am pulling for you! 

The email I received specifically says if admitted, I will be fully funded for 5 years.

My application status did not change on the website.

Maybe they've adjusted their funding scheme? We can only hope... They have been inching up the rankings - hopefully they start to feel the responsibilities of being a true academic force.

More visceral responses in the red section of the results. Ugh.

Does karma work in an anachornistic fashion? The rejection itself would suggest yes, but the "Harvard / top 5 program / blah blah blah" would suggest no...  

edit: words is hard.

Edited by IRTheoryNerd

Anyone want to claim the Temple admit? I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Also is anyone else nervous as hell about the prospect of starting a PhD program?  I was ridiculously excited to receive acceptances, but also overcome with anxiety. I sort of had it in my head that I wouldn't get in and the choice would be made for me. 

Curious about this as well, plus whether or not any admits are IR and/or security studies 

I applied IR/SS and have not heard anything. Though given my track record this cycle, it's entirely possible I was rejected :) I will probably email the grad admin on Monday if I still haven't heard anything by then.

PaleBlueEyes, I'm terrified! You're not alone. More of our trusty friend impostor syndrome.

Yes!  I feel like they will quickly find out I'm a fraud.  I think my fear just stems from coming from a pretty much unknown undergrad institution.  I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that way though.