Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Anyone want to claim the Temple admit? I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Also is anyone else nervous as hell about the prospect of starting a PhD program?  I was ridiculously excited to receive acceptances, but also overcome with anxiety. I sort of had it in my head that I wouldn't get in and the choice would be made for me. 

PaleBlueEyes, I'm terrified! You're not alone. More of our trusty friend impostor syndrome.

I have found that although anxiety about preparedness strikes before a new phase begins, somehow, when you get there, you find yourself ready. Don't worry. Have confidence in yourself. Work hard. Be nice. And the rest will come. 

tumblr_mb5kpkGBLu1qdj4i3o1_500.gif

You don't need bad news to enjoy wine! :D

Edit: And cyber hugs, of course. Sorry to hear about the bad news.

True! I was planning on wine tonight, anyway, but now I am justified.

And thanks! It's easier with nice people like you all, and a little preparedness.

Anyone else convinced that the Yale adcom ordered in a pizza and plans to send out hundreds of acceptances any minute now? I mean, it's not that late in CT...

oh if only that were true... but somehow i feel like it might be closer to: "its 5pm, looks like we can't figure everything out today. hash this out same time next week?"

I have found that although anxiety about preparedness strikes before a new phase begins, somehow, when you get there, you find yourself ready. Don't worry. Have confidence in yourself. Work hard. Be nice. And the rest will come. 

Thank you.

I think, for me, a lot of it stems from the overwhelming anxiety that develops during the waiting period.  All I could do was stress, and now that I'm in somewhere,  all I can do is worry I won't measure up to the other people who got into my program.  In my mind, you're all 7 feet tall, and brilliant academic geniuses who never make mistakes :P

But I am looking forward to meeting all of you, and I am sure PBE, IRTheoryNerd, and the rest of our happy family will do great wherever they end up.

Edited by bassoonist

I applied IR/SS and have not heard anything. Though given my track record this cycle, it's entirely possible I was rejected :) I will probably email the grad admin on Monday if I still haven't heard anything by then.

I am pretty much the same ir/ss

There is always the possibility that they sent snail mail without making the call

Do let me know if u find anything new ! Again I'm surprised tho that no one really cares about mit

With their security and qualitative focus, maybe it's a sinking ship in the political science circle ??

I am pretty much the same ir/ss

There is always the possibility that they sent snail mail without making the call

Do let me know if u find anything new ! Again I'm surprised tho that no one really cares about mit 

With their security and qualitative focus, maybe it's a sinking ship in the political science circle ?? 

I've spoken with some top IR faculty at length about MIT. Based on those conversations, my sense is that (from an IR perspective -- can't speak for other subfields):

(1) Internat'l security-wise, Stanford, Columbia, MIT and Princeton have the best programs. Princeton's seems to be improving due to junior faculty hiring while Columbia's is slowing down a bit due to key faculty hitting retirement

(2) Stanford's is the most quantitive, followed by Princeton then Columbia and then MIT.

(3) MIT is the most policy-relevant. One prof mentioned that in terms of career placement, Stanford is 75% academia-focused, 25% policy oriented; MIT is  the exact opposite. The advice I've been given by pretty much everyone in the field is, if you want to go into academia, go to Stanford/Princeton. If you want to go into policy, go to MIT/Columbia. 

(4) MIT has hired a few key methodologists in the past year or two, but I'm not sure this is reflected yet in its reputation/rankings

Hope that helps

Edited by packrat

Packrat

Thanks for the information !

I guess the policy oriented nature is making mit a less frequently mentioned school on this forum. Most ppl here are very academically oriented.

As for the admission decision, what is ur guess at this point ? Do you think ir and ss decisions are out but the accepted people are being quiet, or they are not out yet, or something else ??

I guess the policy oriented nature is making mit a less frequently mentioned school on this forum. Most ppl here are very academically oriented.

As for the admission decision, what is ur guess at this point ? Do you think ir and ss decisions are out but the accepted people are being quiet, or they are not out yet, or something else ?? 

Boy, that's a good question. I called a few weeks ago and they said decisions would be released "toward the end of February." It doesn't seem like any IR/SS people have reported results, but then again to my knowledge no IR people reported positive results for Stanford, either, even though they'd been notified. We all thought they just hadn't released those decisions yet, but they had. So I really don't know. I will ping MIT on Monday and will report back on what they say. 

Boy, that's a good question. I called a few weeks ago and they said decisions would be released "toward the end of February." It doesn't seem like any IR/SS people have reported results, but then again to my knowledge no IR people reported positive results for Stanford, either, even though they'd been notified. We all thought they just hadn't released those decisions yet, but they had. So I really don't know. I will ping MIT on Monday and will report back on what they say. 

thanks Packrat I also think thats the way to go. 

In the meantime, we can only rely on the lurking IR/SS people to claim their admittance. 

Since SS is one of the highlights of MIT (although i initially characterizd that aspect as a 'sinking ship'  <_<

i doubt their part of this cycle can end so uneventfully. 

And regarding MIT as a whole, uneventful seems to be the right term for this cycle...haha

if yale doesn't release today, i shall flip tables in despair at having to weather another silent weekend.

Can we get an animated GIF of your table flipping?

edit: and possibly some news from Yale? Thanks.

Edited by xuejia