Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I guess I am just frustrated when people on the board post a rejection with something like "haha got into a better school anyway." My thoughts on this are: ok, good for you, you've made it. Now what is the point of your comment?

Are you arrogant enough to think that if you got into "a better school" you also automatically should be accepted everywhere?

Are you frustrated with this rejection—why would you be if you already got good options? So why being bitter/condescending? 

P.S. unless a comment is a joke. Jokes. I get those.

Yes, some of them are really mean spirited too. "What!??! This is a joke, right? That's okay I'm going to f*#$ing Harvard!" 

So what do we get out of this? You weren't going to attend anyway, apparently. And now you're demeaning what might be someone else's only choice? 

Yes, some of them are really mean spirited too. "What!??! This is a joke, right? That's okay I'm going to f*#$ing Harvard!" 

So what do we get out of this? You weren't going to attend anyway, apparently. And now you're demeaning what might be someone else's only choice? 

(upvote)

Yep. Childish, really. 

Edited by jeudepaume

I guess I am just frustrated when people on the board post a rejection with something like "haha got into a better school anyway." My thoughts on this are: ok, good for you, you've made it. Now what is the point of your comment?

Are you arrogant enough to think that if you got into "a better school" you also automatically should be accepted everywhere?

Are you frustrated with this rejection—why would you be if you already got good options? So why being bitter/condescending? 

P.S. unless the comment is a joke. Jokes. I get those.

Edit: grammar

The future inhabitants of PSR!

The future inhabitants of PSR!

So that's what it is!

I mean, I get that this is a difficult process. It's emotional, exhausting, time-consuming, expensive, soul-sucking, and just plain weird. Also, no one else in your life will fully grasp what it is you're going through. But is it really necessary to trash the programs you felt it appropriate to apply to, or to tout your own good fortune at the expense of others, or to be just plain rude about it? I mean, really now

P.S. unless the comment is a joke. Jokes. I get those.

Edit: grammar

Not to mention that for some people like international applicants and US students whose lives and careers have been shaped by structural inequities, those "better" schools are simply not an option. If you got into a better-ranked program, good for you. Why belittle both your own choice of applying to the school to begin with and the people who go there?

Edited by qeta

can any other Georgetown applicants back up the post on the results page? someone said listed on the website.  where would it be on the website?

I'm also curious about this; I haven't been able to find anywhere to check the decision status online..

I just keep logging back into the G'town application... That is where some other schools posted results...

I'm doing the same.. I wonder if the status shows up in the messages section? There's still nothing in mine. I'm assuming a rejection anyway, but it would be nice to confirm so I can move on.

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me considering how late their deadline was this year, but Syracuse is taking forever! Don't know what to do with myself other than stay entertained by reading all the random little arguments that break out here on gradcafe :) Keep up the good work everybody haha.

Well, a really quiet day... What big ones are still out there? Harvard, Yale, JHU, Penn, and then some of the more specialty programs and those doing rolling admission... I don't know about you all, but I'm ready for this process to start coming to a close. My days will be much more productive when this is all finished shaking out...

Well, a really quiet day... What big ones are still out there? Harvard, Yale, JHU, Penn, and then some of the more specialty programs and those doing rolling admission... I don't know about you all, but I'm ready for this process to start coming to a close. My days will be much more productive when this is all finished shaking out...

Same here! I'm pretty sur ethe waiting is more time-consuming (for me...) than the actual applications!

I'm slowly coming to grips with the necessity for a plan B (not that it never occurred to me, it's just that the idea of going back into think tank or government work is pretty unattractive to me at this point).  I was wondering, are there any good programs that do rolling or Spring admissions?  Or, if I get shut out am I better off just waiting another year?  

I was chatting with one of my professors about using this year to teach at community colleges, etc. and he said that if I'm going to try again the best thing is to get further research experience.  Where I'm living currently has like zero research opportunities and moving somewhere to just jump back into applications again a year from now would really suck.  Any insights?

Edited by Chamberlain25

I'm slowly coming to grips with the necessity for a plan B (not that it never occurred to me, it's just that the idea of going back into think tank or government work is pretty unattractive to me at this point).  I was wondering, are there any good programs that do rolling or Spring admissions?  Or, if I get shut out am I better off just waiting another year?  

I don't know of any good programs (in the US) with rolling or spring admissions. Dependening on your interests, you could look at Europe (for a Masters), which could also provide you with research experience.

I honestly have not really understood how you can get research experience in PoliSci, aside from writing papers, going to conferences etc. While RAships exist (though not anywhere I've ever studied), don't most of these go to their own students?

Both American and Georgetown are still reviewing applications. This is true despite rejections and waitlisting notices others have received. So, if you haven't received a rejection notice, your application is still under review. They will not be finished until the end of March.

Edited by Molly5000

I have a question for anyone waitlisted at one of their top choices: Is there anything you're doing to up your chances of getting accepted off the waitlist or contacting the school at all, or are you just "waiting" to hear back? 

Both American and Georgetown are still reviewing applications. This is true despite rejections and waitlisting notices others have received. So, if you haven't received a rejection notice, your application is still under review. They will not be finished until the end of March.

Do you have insider information? 

I have a question for anyone waitlisted at one of their top choices: Is there anything you're doing to up your chances of getting accepted off the waitlist or contacting the school at all, or are you just "waiting" to hear back? 

I'm not really WLed at my top choice, BUT getting in off the WL to the program could alter my decision. I have expressed my desire to stay on the Waitlist to the person in charge, and asked about stuff. Haven't done anythuing else. You might wanna let them know they're your first choice, but aside from that, Waiting's the name of the game, I think!