Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

For a PhD? If so the deadline for funding from the main government sponsored source (ESRC) has passed and this is the primary source of funding.  Although there are still some from a variety of sources from within individual universities. This website (jobs.ac.uk) is relatively good for finding opportunities, but bear in mind funding from the universities themselves is much less common in the UK. 

For a Masters? With the exception of Oxbridge and St Andrews almost everywhere is still accepting applications. Be aware though that funding for Masters students is even rarer than in the US and the majority of students are unfunded (if not funded by a 1+3 ESRC scholarship).

Great information, thanks! The funding pages are a little muddy where I was looking (though, the program is a good fit!), so maybe I'll keep that one in my bag for next year, when I can apply for funding!

Great information, thanks! The funding pages are a little muddy where I was looking (though, the program is a good fit!), so maybe I'll keep that one in my bag for next year, when I can apply for funding!

Sorry, I just remembered much of the ESRC funding is not available to international students (UK/EU only), which may limit you to institutional funding. PhD funding in the UK is a real muddle... one of the reasons I'm looking to the US. Not to mention that it's harder to get a job in the US with a UK PhD. There is at least one positive, the general lack of application fees ;)

Good luck with the two places you're waiting for.. fingers crossed.

Sorry, I just remembered much of the ESRC funding is not available to international students (UK/EU only), which may limit you to institutional funding. PhD funding in the UK is a real muddle... one of the reasons I'm looking to the US. Not to mention that it's harder to get a job in the US with a UK PhD. There is at least one positive, the general lack of application fees ;)

Good luck with the two places you're waiting for.. fingers crossed.

My great big academic secret is that I'm not afraid of non-academic work, so even if I didn't end up with an academic placement, I won't be entirely heartbroken (even if teaching is something I hope to do one day). A PhD throws open some great research doors! Which is why I was comfortable looking at UK PhDs (though not DPhils). Is there much of the same stigma with Canadian PhDs? I've got an eye on McGill for next year. 

Thanks very much! Waiting on Maryland and, of course, Penn!

Thought I was off this, and I'm back.

Looks like UCLA sent out some rejections, not too many though. So are there a lot of people out there still waiting to hear? 

I'm being optimistic and allowing myself a few surf day-dreams. I emailed them to find out more, but no word. I'm hoping there is an unofficial waitlist going. It is looks they sent out rejections in waves in past years too though...

My great big academic secret is that I'm not afraid of non-academic work, so even if I didn't end up with an academic placement, I won't be entirely heartbroken (even if teaching is something I hope to do one day). A PhD throws open some great research doors! Which is why I was comfortable looking at UK PhDs (though not DPhils). Is there much of the same stigma with Canadian PhDs? I've got an eye on McGill for next year. 

Thanks very much! Waiting on Maryland and, of course, Penn!

In which case a UK PhD wouldn't be so bad, especially as the overwhelming majority of people are done within 3-4 years. 

I'm not sure when it comes to Canada. I think UBC, Toronto and McGill can place their students well, but others will be able to offer better advice. Generally though a US PhD is undoubtedly best for the US market..

Thought I was off this, and I'm back.

Looks like UCLA sent out some rejections, not too many though. So are there a lot of people out there still waiting to hear? 

I'm being optimistic and allowing myself a few surf day-dreams. I emailed them to find out more, but no word. I'm hoping there is an unofficial waitlist going. It is looks they sent out rejections in waves in past years too though...

I'm still waiting. This wave thing bothers me a lot. Especially this late in the game yo. 

One of my favorite days of the year—I get to play Santa Claus.

OSU funding letters are out. If you're expecting one and you don't see it, check alternative email accounts, spam folders, etc. If it's not there, email me or DM me.

Edited by BFB

cooperstreet, on 26 Feb 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:

snapback.png

Yes. That one...

I think most of us would agree that it's very unlikely someone with that GPA/GRE would be getting into Harvard. That said, there is a first time for everything and I'd actually commend a school of Harvard's caliber that was able to look beyond a GRE score. 

One of my favorite days of the year—I get to play Santa Claus.

OSU funding letters are out. If you're expecting one and you don't see it, check alternative email accounts, spam folders, etc. If it's not there, email me or DM me.

Hey, at least someone's getting good news today!

I think most of us would agree that it's very unlikely someone with that GPA/GRE would be getting into Harvard. That said, there is a first time for everything and I'd actually commend a school of Harvard's caliber that was able to look beyond a GRE score. 

I agree, but two knocks against you? low GPA AND a  low GRE? highly unlikely.

Yes. Well at first I was thinking they could be engineering or something, which could explain the lower GPA. But hopefully the folks designing our bridges are not earning a 153Q. 

Coming from another system, I can't believe that 3.3 is a bad GPA. My M.A. GPA is a whooping 0.8 away from the highest possible, and it's one of the best GPAs in my class. Strange system!

I think that even within the US, it depends on the school. There are some places where a 3.3 is about average...

Hahaha that is so not my undergrad GPA or GRE. I never claimed it. My GRE scores are substantially higher and my GPA is lower. Again, I graduated with the highest possible GPA in my MA to try to supplement my undergrad GPA. I just wasn't focused on academics because at the time I didn't want to be one. :) 

Whoops! 

Yes. Well at first I was thinking they could be engineering or something, which could explain the lower GPA. But hopefully the folks designing our bridges are not earning a 153Q. 

Sadly we have to worry about bridges too. That has nothing to do with the engineer with a 153Q but the politicians with the <300 combined. America. Sh*t.

\http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZAR7hbcBsA

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

Hahaha that is so not my undergrad GPA or GRE. I never claimed it. My GRE scores are substantially higher and my GPA is lower. Again, I graduated with the highest possible GPA in my MA to try to supplement my undergrad GPA. I just wasn't focused on academics because at the time I didn't want to be one. :)

Whoops! 

Oh that wasn't at you! that was for the poster on the results page.

I'm hoping to hear something from Syracuse today. I just really want to wrap up this cycle! I'm also assuming rejection from temple since I haven't heard anything.... a huge bummer since I love Philly.

Temple Grad chair Kevin Arceneaux told me yesterday that they hadn't processed all applications just yet, and the results will be out soon. So I wouldn't lose hope on Temple... At least that's my last hope.

I think that even within the US, it depends on the school. There are some places where a 3.3 is about average...

At my undergrad (a T-3 public university), the average GPA was 3.2. At one of our peer public institutions it is a 3.1 I think.

In hindsight I wish I'd had my LOR writers stress that since I know a lot of people come from schools with borderline absurd grade inflation.

This whole process is really getting to me. I have a visit this weekend so I've been going hard in the paint (working really really really hard) to get all of my work done before I leave and I just forgot what day it was. I really need to know where I'll be living in 6 months. I don't like all this uncertainty nonsense.