Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

From the results page for Harvard History Phd program:

• No surprise. I was not particularly thrilled with their application process anyways... what was up with that form (after paying the app fee) that made you answer questions about marriage/children before they'd consider y

Is that true? Did they really do that?

• No surprise. I was not particularly thrilled with their application process anyways... what was up with that form (after paying the app fee) that made you answer questions about marriage/children before they'd consider y

I remember I had to answer a second form with "supplementary information", but I honestly can't recall what was it about. 

I remember I had to answer a second form with "supplementary information", but I honestly can't recall what was it about. 

I recall that form asking applicants to check whether they are descendants of John Harvard, some military officer from Massachusetts, and/or other people who gave a lot of money to the university.

Yes, but it isn't like they make it seem. Harvard had a financial aid form (in the supplementary forms tab) that you need to fill out to be considered for need-based financial aid. This, unsurprisingly, included a Q for marital status

I recall that form asking applicants to check whether they are descendants of John Harvard, some military officer from Massachusetts, and/or other people who gave a lot of money to the university.

Yep, that was depressing for me, being a first-generation college student!

Yep, that was depressing for me, being a first-generation college student!

Indeed. "Equality of opportunity" my a**. But you certainly do get an upvote for being a first gen college student, particularly a first gen phd! Nicely done.

It's quiet, and I think the waiting is getting to us.

46580814.jpg

At least, it's getting to me.

Haha, that's a great picture. I know.. The waiting is getting really old. Come on Syracuse and UNC!! (And Pittsburgh waitlist!)

Haha, that's a great picture. I know.. The waiting is getting really old. Come on Syracuse and UNC!! (And Pittsburgh waitlist!)

Meme generators! Endless fun to be had for the young and the restlessly-waiting.

Tensions are high and I'm tired of jumping at email notifications. Wrap it up so the MA students can get their acceptances now!

There are multiple Harvard entries at the results board from the past few days. If they're trolls or not, I have no idea.

I also don't know. Seems strange for Harvard to be making offers when they're still not done yet, but might be a connections thing. That said, there were multiple UCSD spams in one day in January, so everything's possible. Anyway, I'm not banking on an offer from them, but also don't cound myself out just yet!

Claiming a Syracuse waitlist. I wonder if there's a polite way to ask a department how many people need to decline their offer for me to get in off the waitlist :D

The graduate program coordinator at Harvard confirms "no notifications have been made as of yet. We hope to have admissions decisions available sometime next week -- most likely toward the end of the week."

Thank you for checking this!

Philosophy applicant here, but also applied to Harvard and Oxford politics/gov for theory.

I just got an email from a social sciences admissions administrator asking me to complete the supplemental data form to "finalize" my application. (Like an idiot, I didn't notice that there was a supplemental form.)

Anyone else get this?

Good sign?

Oh :( sorry to hear that. Well you've got some great acceptances!

:) Yea, I'd have picked NU over those two anyway so I don't actually have complaining rights. I emailed JHU today too... there is a transcript issue on my application and I'd really like that that not be a factor in their decision given that I followed procedures by the book. That one would actually have spoiler capacity though. We'll see what happens. 

Claiming a Syracuse waitlist. I wonder if there's a polite way to ask a department how many people need to decline their offer for me to get in off the waitlist :D

Congratulations.

It's very hard to say in most cases, to be honest. It really depends not just on how many decline but on who declines. Your best bet by far is to urge your fellow applicants to decline sooner rather than later, if they're going to decline.

Warning: The advice contained in this message is very much in the poster's self-interest.