Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Holy crap, packrat! That sucks. Next time you apply to something, if there's a section where you have to discuss how you overcame adversity...tell them about trying to keep it together at that dinner :|

Oh gosh, kudos to you for keeping it together. I would have excused myself and cried in the bathroom.

The worst part was knowing that the only schools I had left to hear from were Harvard and Yale. If you are putting all of your eggs in that basket, you know you're in trouble. 

Needless to say, the dinner was pretty unforgettable!

First acceptance with money! I'm feeling approximately a thousand percent better right about now. 

Congratulations! That makes such a huge difference.

(Also, the Duke Literature Marxism accusations betray the continued crazy-making effects of this process...)

I CANNOT believe that Penn is taking this long. Who haven't we heard from yet?

I mentioned this a bit ago, but Syracuse also still hasn't notified people. They said they were planning on sending out decisions by the end of the month. If so, should be in the next 3 days.

Does anyone know when Harvard is notifying? i.e. has anyone dropped the grad admin a line recently...?

Last we heard was beginning of March, so next week would be most likely, I guess! Really want to hear back from them so I can start planning!

If you're going mad waiting for results you can get a snapshot of the generally awful quality of the Scottish independence debate right now here ;) http://news.stv.tv/scotland/109173-watch-a-live-stream-of-scotland-tonight-scotlands-current-affairs-show/. I was planning on applying for this fall, but turns out I'll be in Scotland to vote after all..

It's going to be a long seven months!

Edited by RLemkin

Just heard from Yale via the website.  That's 9/9 for me and I guess I'm tapping out for this cycle.  I'm wondering what schools would be my best bet with regards to getting some good feedback (Maybe UT or UW?).  If nothing else this cycle strengthened my resolve to pursue an academic career.  On the plus side I get to stay where I'm living for another year and put off all of the sad goodbyes.  Also, knowing definitively I can actually get back to my regular life (after a satisfactory amount of consolation drinking, of course), and back to working on my master's thesis.  

Relatedly, does anyone know a good open online course(s) for statistical and/or quantitative analysis, maybe also formal theory?  

Just heard from Yale via the website.  That's 9/9 for me and I guess I'm tapping out for this cycle.  I'm wondering what schools would be my best bet with regards to getting some good feedback (Maybe UT or UW?).  If nothing else this cycle strengthened my resolve to pursue an academic career.  On the plus side I get to stay where I'm living for another year and put off all of the sad goodbyes.  Also, knowing definitively I can actually get back to my regular life (after a satisfactory amount of consolation drinking, of course), and back to working on my master's thesis.  

Relatedly, does anyone know a good open online course(s) for statistical and/or quantitative analysis, maybe also formal theory?  

Coursera is pretty good. There are tons of stat courses--the ones from Duke and JHU looked particularly good--and there's a very very intro modelling course taught by Michigan's Scott E. Page. Sorry about your end of the cycle - I'm in the same boat when it comes to PhDs. Bottoms-up!

As Qeta mentioned Coursera here's a quick link to upcoming stats courses https://www.coursera.org/courses?orderby=upcoming&lngs=en&cats=stats

Sorry about your cycle :( Good luck!

Also, I'd recommend Verzani's book, "Using R for Introductory Statistics". Quant and R go together like PB&J

Edited by Orlien

Hi all,

I found this thread a little too late in the cycle (around when the results started pouring in).. and have been lurking ever since..

Since you all seem to know much more about the admission processes than I, I was wondering if I could ask a quick (and sad) question. Do you have any idea what it means for those who have not gotten any responses from Duke/ UCLA/ NYU/ Chicago/ UNC/ Harvard PEG (polsci track)?

From the previous replies on this thread, it looks like a no-response from Chicago means rejection. What about other schools? I did see Harvard PEG admits on the results window, but they all seem to be for the econ track... What's up with Harvard PEG polsci / UCLA / Duke / NYU / UNC? Am I safe to assume that I have been rejected from all of them? :(  :(

Btw, CONGRATULATIONS for those who got wonderful news in the past few weeks!

Edited by zworld707

So here it is… the Yale bloodshed… I'm so sorry for those who got bad news. I think now is the perfect time to make fun of Yale… I hope this makes you feel better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsTatw-RTI

and 

http://www.safetyschool.org/

What's up with Harvard PEG polsci / UCLA / Duke / NYU / UNC? Am I safe to assume that I have been rejected from all of them?

To answer your enquiry about UNC: I emailed the DGS last week, and he said that there is still hope.  They made the first cut for admissions and usually do a wait list.  It also seemed like they might be doing a second round, but I'm not holding my breathe for it.

So here it is… the Yale bloodshed… I'm so sorry for those who got bad news. I think now is the perfect time to make fun of Yale… I hope this makes you feel better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsTatw-RTI

and 

http://www.safetyschool.org/

Those Harvard bastards. I would go to Boston to kick their ass right after the Campus Visit Day with my Yale T-shirt!

(just kidding. had an appointment with one of GK's student.)

Hey congrats on Yale steedyue! Sorry I just caught up with the news. You had your significant other there right? What a brilliant turn of events! I am happy for you guys. I am sure you will be the beacon of hope for every couple out there struggling to make it work in this process. May you guys be the proof that sometimes things do work out, and it is indeed worth a try :) 

success_baby.jpg?1251168454

Is there anyone here who still got no news from UCLA? The form on application status tracker says "Submitted - Pending Decision". Could that mean that I'm on the waitlist or they are just slow with updating rejections?

Same here, I haven't heard from UCLA either.

Well, folks, 

Since the rejection from Yale was the last one of my most awaited rejections (Chicago, I've given up on you! I reject your rejection!), my cycle is now officially over. I am very happy with the options I have (and most grateful I do have options this year). I said it before and I'll say it again to everyone who anticipates having to apply for the second time: I've been there and it's surprisingly more doable than I would have believed. Even better: would I have acquired a place last year it certainly wouldn't be as good, as I am much more prepared this year, both in terms of my application and in terms of knowing where I want to go and what I want to do.

So good luck to everyone who's still waiting on more results to come, and best of luck to those who are preparing for the next cycle.

I'll stick around to see how you guys end up doing. :) 

Well, folks, 

Since the rejection from Yale was the last one of my most awaited rejections (Chicago, I've given up on you! I reject your rejection!), my cycle is now officially over. I am very happy with the options I have (and most grateful I do have options this year). I said it before and I'll say it again to everyone who anticipates having to apply for the second time: I've been there and it's surprisingly more doable than I would have believed. Even better: would I have acquired a place last year it certainly wouldn't be as good, as I am much more prepared this year, both in terms of my application and in terms of knowing where I want to go and what I want to do.

So good luck to everyone who's still waiting on more results to come, and best of luck to those who are preparing for the next cycle.

I'll stick around to see how you guys end up doing. :)

I second this.