Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

It is in no way funny when people get rejected from programs, but I love this Brown rejection's sense of humor:

"Didn't even want to get in. I applied for the irony. These tears are from laughter."

I liked it too )

:o Whoa... did anyone happen to see the slightly unhinged Brown University rejection post calling out the Chair? Yikes.

Yeah, couldn't tell if it was for real or not. I know that we all take this stuff seriously, enough so to dedicate 5/7-to-life to it, but really, perspective matters.

I feel bad for the person who got 5 rejections in a day. ouch!

Also, good god the Brown rejection post. These are the kinds of people who end up populating PSR.

EDIT: Who else smells sexism in "Or perhaps she wants to save her energy for her sweet partner instead"? Ugh.

Edited by Orlien

Yeah, couldn't tell if it was for real or not. I know that we all take this stuff seriously, enough so to dedicate 5/7-to-life to it, but really, perspective matters.

Agreed! I feel like I might as well maintain a sense of humor if I'm going to give my life over to something. Life is too much to bear without being able to laugh over it sometimes (and often at yourself). 

There are always such people who cannot bow out gracefully. Set backs are temporary. There is no need to drag down your good name and everyone who has supported you because of a set back. We are here to help each other pull ourselves up regardless of outcome, not be condescending and vindictive.

What's your subfield, limitations, etc? (You don't have to answer in here, you can do a PM, if you're comfortable!)

I'm going to keep on with what I'm doing, reach out to some of my professors (I got my Master's from a school here in DC, so I'm still local) and ask if I can volunteer to do research assistant work, try to develop some research into a publishable article, and study like crazy for GRE Round II. 

Then I'll apply to a slightly different and larger pool of programs, including a bunch I didn't even think to apply to this year. I've already got the spreadsheet up and going.

Ya, this is pretty much what I'm telling myself as well. Given the level of difficulty and randomness in the process, I feel a bit thick for having applied to only 7/8 programs. Anyway, I'll see you next year cupofnimbus! I only hope that we can emulate the 2nd/3rd cycle vets that had such success this year.  

Who else smells sexism in "Or perhaps she wants to save her energy for her sweet partner instead"? Ugh.

Because, hey, your right to be catered to is more important than her right to carry on with department business, teaching, research, and maintaining a private life! Gross.

Ya, this is pretty much what I'm telling myself as well. Given the level of difficulty and randomness in the process, I feel a bit thick for having applied to only 7/8 programs. Anyway, I'll see you next year cupofnimbus! I only hope that we can emulate the 2nd/3rd cycle vets that had such success this year.  

I was advised that I was pushing it a little to be applying to as many as seven programs, but I feel now I should have ignored that advice and gone ahead with more. Live and learn.

See you next year! QAPLA'!

We are only as good as we are at our worst...

I'm sure those of us that aren't very good would prefer to use the same logic in reverse and only be as bad as we are at our best? =P

fortunately the worst of us isn't the entirety of us...

We are only as good as we are at our worst...

Yes.

(Yes, I know they're contradictory, but one is a good way to forgive missteps, and one is a way to prevent future ones!)

Last week I got three rejections within an hour, all while at dinner with my parents. 

It. Was. Rough. 

Holy crap, packrat! That sucks. Next time you apply to something, if there's a section where you have to discuss how you overcame adversity...tell them about trying to keep it together at that dinner :|

Last week I got three rejections within an hour, all while at dinner with my parents. 

It. Was. Rough. 

Oh gosh, kudos to you for keeping it together. I would have excused myself and cried in the bathroom.

Yale's funding usually goes up by a small amount every year (and all students receive the new amount including allready enrolled students). This year's amount is about 28,400 and there are lots of opportunities for topups etc.

Is Yale usually consistent with funding amounts? The unofficial email I received said last year's stipend was $28,400. Are all admitted offered that, and is it likely to be the same this year?

I'm sure those of us that aren't very good would prefer to use the same logic in reverse and only be as bad as we are at our best? =P

The proper reverse to this logic is being not only as bad as we aren't at our best)

From the looks of the board, it looks like we're pretty much at full capacity (ie it'd be hard to foresee a lot more green coming, given how much is already up). I think IR decisions are definitely out, as myself and a few others were notified and I know they have an IR subcommittee review the apps

This is not quite true. Some students have been notified by profs but a few have not yet received informal acceptances yet and no formal acceptances or rejections are out. Each year a few people don't receive informal notification but only find out from the registrar. Also... trolls do exist so the numbers on these boards cannot necessarily be trusted. Good luck all.