Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I just spoke to Steven Wilkinson who told me that since he wasn't on the admission's committee he has not seen the final list. Since he's the subfield coordinator maybe CP applicants still stand a chance?

I can't say for sure, but someone on here mentioned earlier that the admit list for Yale had been circulated to the department. In which case I'd assume all of the (good) decisions are out. 

I've been lurking here for weeks. It's been great to observe the thoughtful and caring discussion taking place. When I finally decided to take the plunge and make an account, I discovered that I already had one. Whoops.

My question is about the Brown admit that was just posted. Does it seem legit? I cannot imagine why anyone would lie about such a thing, but since Brown uses the same application system that Stanford, Princeton, and others use — and the application statuses for those schools STILL haven't been changed yet (at least for rejects like me) — I find it a bit surprising that Brown would notify in this way. Any other Brown applicants out there care to share their thoughts? I've gone 0/7 thus far this cycle, with only Brown and Penn left to hear from. This process has been so disheartening.

I've also heard from Brown today. I got an email asking me to log into my ApplyWeb account and I found my acceptance letter there. Don't be discouraged though -- they've probably just started sending out acceptances.

I've also heard from Brown today. I got an email asking me to log into my ApplyWeb account and I found my acceptance letter there. Don't be discouraged though -- they've probably just started sending out acceptances.

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some good news, then.

Edit: I forgot to add — congratulations on your acceptance.

Edited by Sluggo57

The latest UVA acceptance is me, and as it is my first of the cycle, I am especially pumped! They are doing a rolling admission off of a list. I'm IR/Comp., so I can't speak for what may be happening on the American/Theory side of the house, though.

Must say, this board has been a constant source of support. Congrats to all who have acceptances so far, and for those still waiting on some good news, good luck and keep with it!

Edited by washington1985

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some good news, then.

Edit: I forgot to add — congratulations on your acceptance.

Thank you :) I got five rejections last week, so this acceptance came like a deep breath of fresh air. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I hope to hear some good news from you here.

The latest UVA acceptance is me, and as it is my first of the cycle, I am especially pumped! They are doing a rolling admission off of a list. I'm IR/Comp., so I can't speak for what may be happening on the American/Theory side of the house, though.

Must say, this board has been a constant source of support. Congrats to all who have acceptances so far, and for those still waiting on some good news, good luck and keep with it!

Thanks for the reply. I am comp and I think I was already rejected...

I claimed one earlier and I am neither an American nor an Americanist (IR subfield). I am currently living in the US though. Since the DGS seems to be calling people, it is quite plausible that those living abroad may get the news through different means. Hang in there Miroslav.

I just want to remind everyone with acceptances to remember to read the fine print at your chosen school before signing...and to be thankful you're not going to anywhere run by these people--- https://www.pcci.edu/GeneralInfo/StudentLifeFAQ.html 

Maybe I'm biased, but I like integrated stairwells and such.

Thank you for sharing that information, I have been wondering what's going on at UVA since such few greens have gone up randomly on the board for weeks. And hey, congratulation on your admission! The first one feels extra good.

Has anyone been on College Confidential before? I just stumbled across it and #Good #Lord it is amazing what difference a few years of college makes in the maturity category. 

That website ruined my life when I was applying to college!!!

Has anyone been on College Confidential before? I just stumbled across it and #Good #Lord it is amazing what difference a few years of college makes in the maturity category. 

That website ruined my life when I was applying to college!!!

Isn't it wonderful that we're all proposing to enter a career where we voluntarily facilitate the coming of age of hordes of young minds?

Thank you :) I got five rejections last week, so this acceptance came like a deep breath of fresh air. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I hope to hear some good news from you here.

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, I just received the rejection from Brown as well. Penn remains, but hope does not. Best of luck to you in Providence!

Isn't it wonderful that we're all proposing to enter a career where we voluntarily facilitate the coming of age of hordes of young minds?

Haha hopefully there are very few college confidential members in my classes. These kids are like...I have a 5.0 GPA, I got a 2400 on the SAT, I was the president of every club in my school, I built a school for blind kids in Cambodia, and my essays are about my experiences growing up as a refugee in Vietnam. Like...what?! And then everyone else on there tells them they won't get in to Harvard....

Haha hopefully there are very few college confidential members in my classes. These kids are like...I have a 5.0 GPA, I got a 2400 on the SAT, I was the president of every club in my school, I built a school for blind kids in Cambodia, and my essays are about my experiences growing up as a refugee in Vietnam. Like...what?! And then everyone else on there tells them they won't get in to Harvard....

Man, in my day, I didn't need other people to tell me I wasn't good enough. I was more than capable of talking myself out of applying to dream schools!

I was more than capable of talking myself out of applying to dream schools!

Yuppp... I definitely autocorrected my own ambitions too because of perceived inferiority. With my current knowledge, my CV was probably better positioned relative to my peers at that time than it is now. But I was risk averse. I corrected for it this round by having a lot of ambitious schools on my list. Even if the Ivys don't happen at least it will not have been out of a lack of effort or resolve on my part.