Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I have yet to hear from 3 (plus a waitlist, so you could say 4)! I'm really ready to be done as well. What schools are you already in at?

I'm in at UIUC and FSU, both with pretty similar funding (although FSU is 5yrs instead of 4, and includes summer). All of the four schools I am still waiting to hear from are ranked lower than UIUC – which is partly why I feel ready to wrap it up. BUT, my SO is strongly rooting for UOrengon, so I am have having an hard time debating whether I would ever choose it over UIUC, if I did get in. 

What about you? Waiting on any school that could give UCBS and UCR some tough competition? 

I'm American!

The baby jesus just answered my prayers and I got an acceptance email from Temple... no funding though. I'm hoping funding becomes available. The email sounds hopeful at least.

Also, I don't know what "Eataly" is, but it sounds like something I'd be all about.

Congratulations on Temple! Although, admissions without funding are such a tease. I hope it works out for you! 

And yes, Eataly is just as good as it sounds. 

I'm American!

The baby jesus just answered my prayers and I got an acceptance email from Temple... no funding though. I'm hoping funding becomes available. The email sounds hopeful at least.

Also, I don't know what "Eataly" is, but it sounds like something I'd be all about.

Congratulations!!

I'm in at UIUC and FSU, both with pretty similar funding (although FSU is 5yrs instead of 4, and includes summer). All of the four schools I am still waiting to hear from are ranked lower than UIUC – which is partly why I feel ready to wrap it up. BUT, my SO is strongly rooting for UOrengon, so I am have having an hard time debating whether I would ever choose it over UIUC, if I did get in. 

What about you? Waiting on any school that could give UCBS and UCR some tough competition? 

That is indeed a tough decision. I'm married, so I'm very aware of how not being single can affect this process! 

Yeah, I'm still waiting on UNC (I realize it's unlikely at this point, but I suppose I could still be put on a waitlist). I'm still waiting on Syracuse, though I don't know if I would pick it over Riverside or UCSB... pretty equal for me, and since my wife prefers warm weather, I imagine I'd go to California. I'm also still waiting on Pittsburgh (waitlisted), which would be very hard to turn down, considering I'm an IR Europeanist. The only one I'm waiting on that would not give UCSB and UCR some competition is GMU. It was my safety, plus I currently live in the DC area, so I thought it would be a nice option, since I really like the department and there are two great POIs.

All that to say: Pittsburgh and UNC could trump the others, Syracuse probably wouldn't, and GMU definitely wouldn't. 

That is indeed a tough decision. I'm married, so I'm very aware of how not being single can affect this process! 

Yeah, I'm still waiting on UNC (I realize it's unlikely at this point, but I suppose I could still be put on a waitlist). I'm still waiting on Syracuse, though I don't know if I would pick it over Riverside or UCSB... pretty equal for me, and since my wife prefers warm weather, I imagine I'd go to California. I'm also still waiting on Pittsburgh (waitlisted), which would be very hard to turn down, considering I'm an IR Europeanist. The only one I'm waiting on that would not give UCSB and UCR some competition is GMU. It was my safety, plus I currently live in the DC area, so I thought it would be a nice option, since I really like the department and there are two great POIs.

All that to say: Pittsburgh and UNC could trump the others, Syracuse probably wouldn't, and GMU definitely wouldn't. 

Sounds about right – but good luck taking your wife anywhere other than California, now that that's an option! 

I feel like getting into some/all of the last schools I am waiting for would be a lot more about self-validation. Like, the more school I'll get into, the less I would feel like I lucked out on the ones I'm already in. If that makes sense. 

Sounds about right – but good luck taking your wife anywhere other than California, now that that's an option! 

I feel like getting into some/all of the last schools I am waiting for would be a lot more about self-validation. Like, the more school I'll get into, the less I would feel like I lucked out on the ones I'm already in. If that makes sense. 

Haha, it's true. The moment California became an option, it was checkmate.

That actually does make perfect sense. Also, I mostly just want to get into more schools to have options. I would feel better about such a big change if I knew I made an informed decision, instead of having the decision made for me by the adcoms. If I do get into any more schools though, it's going to be really difficult to decide! 

This seems like a foolish endeavor this late in the cycle, but does anyone have insight on how applications to universities in the UK work? I'm staring at one that seems to have an application due date four months from now, which is ample time to put together an application, if I wanted. 

I'm American!

http://www.eataly.com/nyc

If I get into Penn you better believe I will be doing all of my work out of this place.

http://www.eataly.com/nyc

If I get into Penn you better believe I will be doing all of my work out of this place.

And, since you might occasionally need a change of scenery, Philadelphia also has a bar with wine on tap:

https://www.triacafe.com/taproom/

...I miss that city

Edited by Dark-Helmed

so how are you guys handling your waitlists? i'm currently on a waitlist for GW (i'm an american gov person) and am very overwhelmed.  It's one of my top choices, and based on some presumed rejections, is slowly becoming my absolute top choice. any advice?

I've gots me a theory. I know Penn is aiming to offer funding to all of its students off-the-bat, so maybe that is what is delaying the process this year--if I remember correctly, last year there are admits with full funding and then admits waitlisted for funding. Maybe they are doing away with the funding waitlist and are instead waiting to get a total, set budget from the University and then issue decisions in a more straightforward manner--all acceptances offered funding, with a waitlist for both acceptance and funding.

Boazczoine, good thoughts. I think that is a good place to start. Additionally, don't forget that Philly got hit by a lot of snow and missed days are not one to one. A missed committee meeting because of snow may have taken a week or more to reschedule so on and so forth... I predict, with no justification at all, that friday will be the day. Who wants over and under?

I've gots me a theory. I know Penn is aiming to offer funding to all of its students off-the-bat, so maybe that is what is delaying the process this year--if I remember correctly, last year there are admits with full funding and then admits waitlisted for funding. Maybe they are doing away with the funding waitlist and are instead waiting to get a total, set budget from the University and then issue decisions in a more straightforward manner--all acceptances offered funding, with a waitlist for both acceptance and funding.

Just wondering, how did you find that out?

Boazczoine, good thoughts. I think that is a good place to start. Additionally, don't forget that Philly got hit by a lot of snow and missed days are not one to one. A missed committee meeting because of snow may have taken a week or more to reschedule so on and so forth... I predict, with no justification at all, that friday will be the day. Who wants over and under?

I'll take over. If I'm right, I get your UVA acceptance. Deal?

so how are you guys handling your waitlists? i'm currently on a waitlist for GW (i'm an american gov person) and am very overwhelmed.  It's one of my top choices, and based on some presumed rejections, is slowly becoming my absolute top choice. any advice?

I'm sort of just killing time, waiting to hear from them. I know of at least two people who are declining their offer, so I am hopeful, but who knows. :) I don't know what to do other than just wait.

I'll take peoples thoughts on my situation if they would be kind enough to share. 

I'm a first time PhD applicant.

I was quickly accepted into two schools ranking in the "third tier" - between 40 - 60 in January. Consequently I developed some hope that my profile was stronger than I initially thought (I have an absolutely terrible undergraduate GPA). Needless to say, the rest of this cycle has brought my back down. 

I have two schools that I am waiting on that would be hard to turn down -- but I'm not holding my breath. The rest would fall into this "third tier" category. My choices right now are between two schools that are about 10 places apart in ranking. Both are offering similar funding situations (good for their location). 

School "A" had this very respected Professor I was applying to work with but he will be leaving next year (just found out). Otherwise fit isn't that great. It is ranked about 10 places better than school "B" and has better name recognition. 

School "B" has a better fit for me, but still does not have that ideal Professor to mentor me on my interests. Though ranked 10 places worse, it is definitely on an upward trajectory. I imagine that when I graduate both schools "A" and "B" might be entirely on par in the rankings (doubt they will be on name recognition however). 

I know name recognition shouldn't matter because I want to stay in academia but I am realistic about tenured positions coming out of this "third-tier" of schools and thus concerned about how it will affect other occupational opportunities. 

Right now I am thinking I will probably choose school "B" over school "A"... but barely. I am also torn on whether it is worth trying again to get into a T25. As of now I am 75% sure I will take an admission offer. If I choose either school I will take the funding so I would not feel comfortable trying again after doing so. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

I'll take peoples thoughts on my situation if they would be kind enough to share. 

I'm a first time PhD applicant.

I was quickly accepted into two schools ranking in the "third tier" - between 40 - 60 in January. Consequently I developed some hope that my profile was stronger than I initially thought (I have an absolutely terrible undergraduate GPA). Needless to say, the rest of this cycle has brought my back down. 

I have two schools that I am waiting on that would be hard to turn down -- but I'm not holding my breath. The rest would fall into this "third tier" category. My choices right now are between two schools that are about 10 places apart in ranking. Both are offering similar funding situations (good for their location). 

School "A" had this very respected Professor I was applying to work with but he will be leaving next year (just found out). Otherwise fit isn't that great. It is ranked about 10 places better than school "B" and has better name recognition. 

School "B" has a better fit for me, but still does not have that ideal Professor to mentor me on my interests. Though ranked 10 places worse, it is definitely on an upward trajectory. I imagine that when I graduate both schools "A" and "B" might be entirely on par in the rankings (doubt they will be on name recognition however). 

I know name recognition shouldn't matter because I want to stay in academia but I am realistic about tenured positions coming out of this "third-tier" of schools and thus concerned about how it will affect other occupational opportunities. 

Right now I am thinking I will probably choose school "B" over school "A"... but barely. I am also torn on whether it is worth trying again to get into a T25. As of now I am 75% sure I will take an admission offer. If I choose either school I will take the funding so I would not feel comfortable trying again after doing so. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Without knowing specifics, it's hard to make a call, except to say if you feel like you will do well at either school, then go for it. If the fit is good and you think you'll get the training you want and you'll get funded, then I don't see anything but grass-is-greener syndrome in your way. You can do a lot for yourself through networking, strong research, and self-promotion. Will you get a tenure-track position at Harvard right out of grad school? Um, probably not. (But who does?) Are you likely to get a tenure-track position at a lower-ranked school/liberal arts college, or a great post-doc, from such a program, especially if you put in the hard work necessary to do any graduate study? Likely, yes.

This seems like a foolish endeavor this late in the cycle, but does anyone have insight on how applications to universities in the UK work? I'm staring at one that seems to have an application due date four months from now, which is ample time to put together an application, if I wanted. 

For a PhD? If so the deadline for funding from the main government sponsored source (ESRC) has passed and this is the primary source of funding.  Although there are still some from a variety of sources from within individual universities. This website (jobs.ac.uk) is relatively good for finding opportunities, but bear in mind funding from the universities themselves is much less common in the UK. 

For a Masters? With the exception of Oxbridge and St Andrews almost everywhere is still accepting applications. Be aware though that funding for Masters students is even rarer than in the US and the majority of students are unfunded (if not funded by a 1+3 ESRC scholarship).