2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Hate to be "that guy," but technically that assumes that each school chooses the 50% they accept from the pool of interviewees by completely random chance... hopefully that's not how they make admissions decisions haha

Haha yes, this is obviously a simplified graph assuming you're either in or you're out. Also assuming your interviews won't be a disaster and that your numbers and letters look good enough on paper to get your foot halfway in the door.  If you screw up in your interviews/events...well, adjust the numbers downward accordingly  :P

Edited by persimmony

From what I understand about Yale which is currently my top choice, they send out invites to the people they are ready to make offers to, and as long as you don't botch the interview you'll make it in. Due to admissions in other schools, and that people that have interviews there likely will be interviewing at Harvard and Stanford etc. they get about a 40-60% acceptance rate to their offers. A lot of this information is second hand word of mouth, so take it or leave it. The letter sent out to interviewees though says "We anticipate that most visitors will receive offers of admission" for what it's worth.

Hi All

Did anyone hear from the following programs?

UIC - GEMS

Loyola University, Chicago - IPBS

U of Maryland, Baltimore - Molecular Medicine

University of Kentucky - IBS

University of Nebraska Medical Center - CRGP

U of Tennessee Health Science Center - IBS

I am getting worried. Haven't heard from any of them yet! Good luck to all!

Edited by Signal transduction

Saw Stanford and Berkeley Biophysics on the results page   :unsure:  anyone here want to claim those posts, maybe more details?

Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow, and if not then at least starting classes (and my undergrad thesis ugh) will be a nice distraction

Saw Stanford and Berkeley Biophysics on the results page   :unsure:  anyone here want to claim those posts, maybe more details?

Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow, and if not then at least starting classes (and my undergrad thesis ugh) will be a nice distraction

I haven't heard from Berkeley Biophysics either. But we can resolve not to despair yet together! There may still be more invites coming. I'm trying not to panic yet. (: 

Loyola sent me an email saying they were still reviewing applications a week ago.

Hi All

UIC - GEMS

Hi All

UIC - GEMS 

UIC - GEMS is just starting to go through all the applications..called them and they said in the next couple of weeks they will start with interview invites. "just keep an eye out for an email in the next couple of weeks" -_-

Edited by RR1

Hi All

UIC - GEMS

Last year, U Maryland, Baltimore sent out their invites for Molecular Micro + Immuno (can't remember exactly if that's connected with Molecular Medicine or not) on January 23 or so, and their rejects the day after.  That's all I have info on, though! Good luck. :)

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if someone knows when are the interview weekends for Cornell Plant Biology and Davis Plant Biology? Or just to get an idea, if you applied to another Biology program, when are the interview dates for your programs?

Many thanks :-)

Good luck to all those that are waiting for emails this week ;-)

I interviewed at Pitt this weekend, it was a lot of fun. They do a great job at showing you the facilities and getting you to mingle with the researchers. It's very laid back in my opinion, very much a mutual respect situation ... so that should hopefully alleviate some stress!

And I should note that I don't mean laid back in the sense of nothing going on (you're constantly doing things and going places) but rather everyone is approachable... I never felt pressured or uncomfortable

Edited by Mabester

Just for those of you who applied to UT Southwestern, I just got an interview invitation two hours ago. Fairly surprised that their office still sends out emails on sunday, but delighted to receive the invitation nonetheless =)

Edited by Thesbane

Just for those of you who applied to UT Southwestern, I just got an interview invitation two hours ago. Fairly surprised that their office still sends out emails on sunday, but delighted to receive the invitation nonetheless =)

Which track? 

Yay! There's still hope yet...they seem to really be rolling their invites. Thanks for the info. What interview dates did they offer?

Edited by Adenine_Monarch

Last year, U Maryland, Baltimore sent out their invites for Molecular Micro + Immuno (can't remember exactly if that's connected with Molecular Medicine or not) on January 23 or so, and their rejects the day after.  That's all I have info on, though! Good luck. :)

I think that might be the case this year too. I called the UMD molecular medicine admission office and the coordinator told me that the committee is not meeting until 21st jan.

Thank you Leuco!

All I've heard about Rice is that they send interview invites in January. The academic term starts Monday, so I would hazard that they'd make some decisions this week.

Thanks for that info :) I see that you have got an interview from UT Austin.Congratz!! When did you get it? I applied to the Biochemistry program (International applicant). Can you give me any info about that?