2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I know no one here applied but maybe some lurkers did so: I just got an acceptance from Harvard Biophysics!! I thought of it as a big reach because it seemed from their website that they mainly take physical science undergraduates and I'm a biology major. Sooo happy... It's one of my top choices :D 

I JUST GOT MY FIRST INTERVIEW! UMaryland Baltimore GPILS Program, Feb 6-7. WITH A SUB-3.0 GPA. It CAN be done!!!! :D

I know no one here applied but maybe some lurkers did so: I just got an acceptance from Harvard Biophysics!! I thought of it as a big reach because it seemed from their website that they mainly take physical science undergraduates and I'm a biology major. Sooo happy... It's one of my top choices :D

Congrats pstar465 and elanoci!

pstar465 I am still waiting to hear from their sister program molecular medicine!

Congrats pstar465 and elanoci!

pstar465 I am still waiting to hear from their sister program molecular medicine!

Thanks y'all! Micro just had their meeting today, so I'm guessing the other programs are meeting soon! :)

Which program at Stony Brook did you apply to BG20? I applied to CMB but have not heard back yet so I guess I am out.

Btw, I just had a faculty interviews today at UMass Medical so the nerve of my first interviews are now gone. It was much more casual than I thought. The only thing was that the PI loved to talk about themselves/their research so 30 mins flew by like nothing and I did not have chance to ask that many question. Don't know how well/badly I did though.

Edited by nns91

Does anybody know what happened with last year's NYU Neuro&Phys rejection massacre? People said that there were over 950 applicants for 35 spots, but do we know if there was a similarly low number of interview invitations? Were people rejected post-interview? Anybody still here from last year?

I applied last year and was part of the rejection massacre. Received it via email on Feb 11th. As far as post-interview, I can't help there since I never made it that far.

Can anyone confirm that Stanford has sent out all their interview offers? I have an interview offer for that weekend and I don't want to confirm prematurely, but it seems like I'm just waiting for a no at this point.

I contacted them by email and they were able to tell me I was rejected. Try to find the program coordinator on their website. Good luck!

Edited by Raerosk

Official rejection from Stanford Biosciences (Biology) came in the mail today - fancy paper and all. GL to everyone else!

I accidentally upvoted that, because I read acceptance...

Anyway, I'm sorry Eco. I'm sure you'll get an amazing acceptance somewhere else!

Edit: Just checked my mail. I was rejected too. <3

Edited by Monochrome Spring

Got interview invite from Stony brook.

Interview invite -  Stony Brook, Mount Sinai, Einstein, NYU sackler and Cornell weill

Rejection - Sloan Kettering and Rockefeller 

Pending - Cold spring harbor, Emory and Columbia

When did you get your interview invite for Einstein? There's still hope for Einstein.

Edited by jl2782

Anyway, I'm sorry Eco. I'm sure you'll get an amazing acceptance somewhere else!

Edit: Just checked my mail. I was rejected too. <3

Thanks! I'm sure everything will work out after all. And I'm sorry to hear about your rejection as well - but congrats on the fellowship offer!!

Thanks! I'm sure everything will work out after all. And I'm sorry to hear about your rejection as well - but congrats on the fellowship offer!!

Sorry to hear this Eco, I was wondering if your status on the application has changed?

Does anybody know what happened with last year's NYU Neuro&Phys rejection massacre? People said that there were over 950 applicants for 35 spots, but do we know if there was a similarly low number of interview invitations? Were people rejected post-interview? Anybody still here from last year?

I know that last year, NYU Sackler Biomed (the umbrella program that includes Neuro&Phys, I believe) received ~1000 applicants, ~160 were invited for interview, ~80 were accepted (so 50%) for an anticipated class size of 40. 

I had to email them two weeks ago because my status page still said that they had not received my GRE scores. The coordinator responded that they did actually have my scores and that my application was complete, but that's all I got from that encounter. I visited the campus over the summer and talked with Teresa and she said they usually get around 100 applicants and take 5 or 6. So slim chance, but since no one has heard anything, I'm still hopeful. Do you have any idea when invites went out last year?

Also, if UW-Micro would just send out their rejections already, that would be great.

I have absolutely no idea when they went out last year.  At this point, I'm just assuming a rejection and focusing on my current interviews.  If I happen to get an email, then all the better.  And my account also said they had not received my GRE scores, but I believe that's because you send them to SOPHAS, not Berkeley.

I know that last year, NYU Sackler Biomed (the umbrella program that includes Neuro&Phys, I believe) received ~1000 applicants, ~160 were invited for interview, ~80 were accepted (so 50%) for an anticipated class size of 40. 

BinaryFission - you mention that 80 people got accepted - but they had slots for only 40 people... what would happen if 80 students (or more than 40) would say yes?  

Which program at Stony Brook did you apply to BG20? I applied to CMB but have not heard back yet so I guess I am out.

Btw, I just had a faculty interviews today at UMass Medical so the nerve of my first interviews are now gone. It was much more casual than I thought. The only thing was that the PI loved to talk about themselves/their research so 30 mins flew by like nothing and I did not have chance to ask that many question. Don't know how well/badly I did though.

CMB - from what I understand they are still in process of reviewing applicants  so stay tuned!

When did you get your interview invite for Einstein? There's still hope for Einstein.

jl2782 -  I got the interview earlier this week.

BinaryFission - you mention that 80 people got accepted - but they had slots for only 40 people... what would happen if 80 students (or more than 40) would say yes?  

That's what they told us at the interview. There were 4 interviews with about 40 people at each (so 4x40 = 160) and they said they were planning to accept 50% and anticipated a class of 40. I guess they were pretty certain that 50% would accept the offer. Most schools offer about twice as many spots as they plan to enroll.

Edited by BinaryFission