That feeling after you apply...

Molecular_Virology

I have worked on applications for over a year. From the first through that "I can actually do this" to finding a professor to hitting the submit button. These are just applications, but they have consumed nearly every minute of my time for so long. It's almost like being in a sh*tstorm that suddenly subsides. So, now what?

It will take at least two months to find out if we have interviews. After two more months, for better or worse, that part of our lives will end and hopefully another begins. As you continue through the application process, I want to wish all of you good luck in your applications and interviews.

Respectfully,

CR 

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck, Molecular! I'm not quite done with applications, but getting there, and I think I know what you mean. I'm going to have so much free energy after focusing so intently on this. Keep us posted when you start to hear some news on your apps!!

• 3 weeks later...

I submitted all my applications recently. Right now I'm at the waiting stage and it's killing me. I keep playing "what if" scenarios in my head. Like, what if I get rejected from all the programs I applied to? Or what if I get into my top choice?! 

I'm fluctuating back and forth between confidence and despair. Basically I'm driving myself insane.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only submitted 4 of the 10 I've started and I'm pretty sure I messed up one of them because I couldn't find an address to send my transcripts to. It's just kind of depressing at this point. Luckily I won't be there to see admissions look over my application and laugh at it. Guess there's no more use in worrying.

Congrats on your admission offer, Pinkster. I guess it's official now. You are going to grad school! 

It was the best feeling and then I started checking my email about a million times a day. I wish I could just fast forward my life lol 

After two more months, for better or worse, that part of our lives will end and hopefully another begins.

Congratulations on getting your applications in.

Please do keep in mind that you will be going through the process of applying for something again -- a fellowship, an internship, a renewal of a fellowship/internship, advancement from one phase to another, a job. Moreover, you will have opportunities to support undergraduates, fellow graduates, and, if you're asked, professors to make it through similar processes.

Consequently, I urge you and others going through this application season to do a no-holds-barred "lessons learned" exercise in which you give yourself a candid appraisal of what you did right, what you did that was, ah, less than right, and what you'd do differently.

Keep in mind that as a graduate student, you are going to be teaching yourself most of the time. Now is a good opportunity to develop further the habit of not letting any opportunity to learn go by the wayside.

Also, you might consider the advantages of getting your clothes and kit together for your interview and, if possible, start putting aside some cash to cover incidentials that will arise when you're going to and from an interview.

Edited by Sigaba

Wow, people are getting acceptances already? I just submitted my applications a few days ago, and just in time for the December deadline. I've heard interviews were in January-February; I figured we wouldn't get emails until right around then. How fast do they go through these applications??

I'm not going to lie, I got super giddy after I hit that "submit" button! I also felt completely paranoid that I forgot to complete part of it! Shockingly I heard back from one of my schools within 3 days(!), and another one about a week later! Still waiting on two more, and find myself constantly checking my email! haha 

I am obsessively checking my emails as well. My letters are all finally in, so now I have nothing to do but wait. I've had one offer, but I won't find out about funding until March, so I can't even accept it yet! It's relaxing to be done, but stressful to not know if I'm moving next year or not.

Wow, people are getting acceptances already? I just submitted my applications a few days ago, and just in time for the December deadline. I've heard interviews were in January-February; I figured we wouldn't get emails until right around then. How fast do they go through these applications??

Some programs don't do interviews. Also, a lot of posts in the 'Results Search' are from spring '14 admissions. : )

Also, you might consider the advantages of getting your clothes and kit together for your interview and, if possible, start putting aside some cash to cover incidentials that will arise when you're going to and from an interview.

What is an interview kit? Is that just a cv/resume, or something else that we should bring? 

You're doing it all wrong! Enjoy yourselves! Unless you haven't contacted your professors already, there is nothing you can do more for your application. Isn't that an amazing feeling? There's no guilt anymore. Go outside, go read a book, go make love to your significant other....etc. 

All of that stress and guilt comes back as soon as you get your acceptances because there's a world of shit you have to deal with once they start rolling in. You won't ever get this opportunity again.

Cheers!

DTB

One of my friends applied to the same program I did.  Apps were due Dec 1st (3rd? something).  I submitted late November, she submitted early December. She got an interview yesterday, and I haven't heard yet... so maybe that school (UNC) does rolling interviews.. not sure.

Wow, that's crazy. I saw that people got acceptances to some of the schools I've applied to in mid-January last year, but I have no idea if any of them do interviews. Are interviews common in interdisciplinary programs?

Oh I am glad to see this thread. At least gives me reassurance that I am not the only crazy person checking mails and second guessing everything plus playing what if scenarios. Sigh, waiting really is a buzz kill.

Anyway goodluck you guys! :)

Y'all should know  to embrace this feeling - it seems like grad students are always in one of two states: scrambling before a deadline or wandering the halls dazed after just barely meeting a deadline.  I'm in no way a procrastinator but I still am in a constant state of 'wait, what do I do now?' following grant applications deadlines and research deadlines and course deadlines and submission of articles.  I wish someone would have explained to me upfront that the strange feeling I had after submitting my applications was about to become a lifestyle  :lol:

I'm having a baby in a week and a half so I'll have plenty to distract me during "the wait." Truthfully, I guess my apps aren't even complete because of the one, last LOR ( :angry: ) but hopefully that will be wrapped up in a couple days. I didn't realize acceptances were going out already. Most of my programs said February. After I hit submit, the feeling I had was "ah well. I tried" LOL.

I'm having a baby in a week and a half so I'll have plenty to distract me during "the wait." Truthfully, I guess my apps aren't even complete because of the one, last LOR ( :angry: ) but hopefully that will be wrapped up in a couple days. I didn't realize acceptances were going out already. Most of my programs said February. After I hit submit, the feeling I had was "ah well. I tried" LOL.

My prayers go out to your last letter-writer, whose about to experience the worst agony of his/her life.....the wrath of an expecting mother. (Pardon my stereotype.)

DTB