2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

While we're on the topic of Rutgers, I just thought I'd point out that despite having received the acceptance email Monday, in the application portal my status is still showing "No Decision" as of today. So, if you haven't heard and your portal is showing no decision, it may not necessarily mean anything. Don't give up, Rutgers hopefuls! Wishing everyone the best!! 

I applied to the Rutgers PhD program and haven't heard anything, but I am hoping that I might this week.  It seems like last year they offered admission to a few PhD students around this time...even though their offers of admission seem to trail off beyond the official notification deadline in April.

While we're on the topic of Rutgers, I just thought I'd point out that despite having received the acceptance email Monday, in the application portal my status is still showing "No Decision" as of today. So, if you haven't heard and your portal is showing no decision, it may not necessarily mean anything. Don't give up, Rutgers hopefuls! Wishing everyone the best!! 

I think I have less hope because of the issues I ran into (ie recommenders having to fax in, no confirmation of having recieved them. I don't remember if they required my official transcripts but if they did they only list my unofficial ones) than say, actual lack of hope. It just seems disorganized & messy to me, given that all their means of communication apparently aren't checked.

I think I have less hope because of the issues I ran into (ie recommenders having to fax in, no confirmation of having recieved them. I don't remember if they required my official transcripts but if they did they only list my unofficial ones) than say, actual lack of hope. It just seems disorganized & messy to me, given that all their means of communication apparently aren't checked.

Ugh, that sucks! I totally understand your frustration; it sounds incredibly stressful and I feel really lucky that my application process went smoothly. Good luck, m-ttl! We are rooting for you!

Not to be irritating (because funding is on my mind too), but I was curious why you applied to Rutgers. I was really interested in their program until they said outright that they did not fund MAs at all. Did you find some sort of solution? 

Not to be irritating (because funding is on my mind too), but I was curious why you applied to Rutgers. I was really interested in their program until they said outright that they did not fund MAs at all. Did you find some sort of solution?

Apply to the PhD program as per your prof's recs ;)

I'm getting frustrated now. Only 2 left to hear from - there was a Columbia acceptance on the board yesterday and when I spoke to FSU two weeks ago they said that they'd be emailing people "within the week".

Argh!! If I'm going to strike out completely, I'd like to know sooner rather than later. I have a long weekend life of waitressing ahead of me...

Hey all, usually a lurker here, but I was wondering if I could maybe get your opinion on something...

The department secretary for one of the programs I applied to (my #1 choice) emailed me a few weeks ago, requesting that I send in official transcripts for my application because they did not receive them the first time.  I immediately had official transcripts rushed to the school.  

Do you think that the personal reach-out could be considered a good sign? Compared to just saying, "oh, no transcripts, no admittance."  

I'm certainly not putting too much weight on this, but would love to know what you guys think. 

UGH, I'd really like some results already...

One of the professors from UBC told me that decisions come out in mid-Feb. Hopefully it's soon, I've been waiting impatiently.

Hmm, that's what I thought.. And judging from the results posted on gradcafe, McGill won't send out notifications until March.. 

Weird email from UC Riverside today saying that they were 'very impressed' by my application, and would like to gauge my interest in attending before offering me a formal acceptance. It almost sounded like they want me to say "Yes I would definitely enroll!" prior to wasting an acceptance on me. That's kind of strange, right? I obviously want them to offer me a place, but I also haven't made a decision as to whether I would accept it, and I don't want them to hate me in case I decide to apply there for my PhD in a few years. WHY ARE THEY MESSING WITH MY HEAD

Hey all, usually a lurker here, but I was wondering if I could maybe get your opinion on something...

The department secretary for one of the programs I applied to (my #1 choice) emailed me a few weeks ago, requesting that I send in official transcripts for my application because they did not receive them the first time. I immediately had official transcripts rushed to the school.

Do you think that the personal reach-out could be considered a good sign? Compared to just saying, "oh, no transcripts, no admittance."

I'm certainly not putting too much weight on this, but would love to know what you guys think.

UGH, I'd really like some results already...

I'm not sure if I would read into that. I had a few schools say that to me and I think it was truly because they just didn't get them-my undergrad makes it near impossible to send out transcripts correctly ugh. But it's not a bad sign either!!! I would like some good news soon too..

Edited by helpmegradcafe

Weird email from UC Riverside today saying that they were 'very impressed' by my application, and would like to gauge my interest in attending before offering me a formal acceptance. It almost sounded like they want me to say "Yes I would definitely enroll!" prior to wasting an acceptance on me. That's kind of strange, right? I obviously want them to offer me a place, but I also haven't made a decision as to whether I would accept it, and I don't want them to hate me in case I decide to apply there for my PhD in a few years. WHY ARE THEY MESSING WITH MY HEAD

That is really odd and not a great position for them to put you in.  If I were in that situation, here's what I would do:

If you have already been accepted somewhere you think you would choose over them ,just tell them you are very interested but would have to hear about, say, funding.  If you haven't been accepted I would just say "I love Riverside its my top choice!" just in case...if you end up deciding on somewhere else then you could always just tell them it wasn't an issue with the program, it just didn't offer enough funding or something so that you don't burn any bridges if you apply for your PhD later.  I doubt they are trying to bind you to anything, these places just don't want to waste their time on wishy washy candidates when they have so many applicants. But congratulations that is awesome!

Edited by helpmegradcafe

Blah. Denied at Michigan. Not surprised at all but it's still slightly irritating.

Silver lining: I won't have to move from Southern California to Michigan.

Crappy grey cloud: I didn't get into Michigan.

I'd "boo hoo" more if I wasn't slightly relieved about not having to move. Good luck and congrats to all those accepted!

That is really odd and not a great position for them to put you in.  If I were in that situation, here's what I would do:

If you have already been accepted somewhere you think you would choose over them ,just tell them you are very interested but would have to hear about, say, funding.  If you haven't been accepted I would just say "I love Riverside its my top choice!" just in case...if you end up deciding on somewhere else then you could always just tell them it wasn't an issue with the program, it just didn't offer enough funding or something so that you don't burn any bridges if you apply for your PhD later.  I doubt they are trying to bind you to anything, these places just don't want to waste their time on wishy washy candidates when they have so many applicants. But congratulations that is awesome!

Thanks, this is super helpful!!!!