Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

The director of graduate studies, Dr. Gould, contacted me. She said I would soon receive an e-mail confirming the details from the Division of Graduate Studies. It doesn't seem to be showing up on my application.

Also, no problem. I was browsing the posts and saw that no one had posted about UCSC yet. I figured I would help some people out.

I'll claim a CUNY acceptance. Not shocked at this point that I wasn't offered funding (since they already handed out stipends last week) but I'll keep my fingers crossed? I don't know what other CUNY acceptances have been told re: upcoming funding opportunities, so maybe I'll scuttle over to the GC thread and ask people there.

With that being said, still very happy to have gotten a spot. This school is easily my top choice.

I'll claim a CUNY acceptance. Not shocked at this point that I wasn't offered funding (since they already handed out stipends last week) but I'll keep my fingers crossed? I don't know what other CUNY acceptances have been told re: upcoming funding opportunities, so maybe I'll scuttle over to the GC thread and ask people there.

With that being said, still very happy to have gotten a spot. This school is easily my top choice.

Same exact thing. Accepted, easily a top choice, hoping against all odds to nab that funding. I can't even believe this.

I'll claim an acceptance to the University of Toronto MA program. Received an email today. Should be receiving funding information in the mail shortly. 

Hi! A question... I can assume that you are Canadian, right? I ask because I also applied to UofT (PhD program) but I know they rarely admit international students (which I am) because of the very expensive international fees they would have to cover, and the limited funding. Still, do you (or someone else) know if there is a chance for international students this year? Any info on this topic?

Thanks and good luck to all!

Sooooooo.....I'm not accepted at Stanford. But I'm not rejected. 

Does this mean waitlist? 

Or maybe they are notifying in waves and my answer is coming soon...anyone else in the same boat?

I didn't get a rejection from Stanford last year when some other GC-ers did, so after a few days, I emailed the coordinator to ask about my status.  She wouldn't call it a "waitlist" but basically, they kept some applications "active" until they filled their cohort (I was later rejected in mid-March).  So, you might be in the same boat.

Sooooooo.....I'm not accepted at Stanford. But I'm not rejected. 

Does this mean waitlist? 

Or maybe they are notifying in waves and my answer is coming soon...anyone else in the same boat?

I was in the same situation last year. As amlobo said, it's basically an unofficial waitlist.

Can I just add in a quick comment about rating posts on here?  I have seen a few posts receive a negative reputation that are simply reporting admissions results or people excited about their acceptances.  What is the point in giving them a negative rating, except sour grapes?  I am making it a point to upvote those people.  This is a place to share information and be supportive :)

Can I just add in a quick comment about rating posts on here?  I have seen a few posts receive a negative reputation that are simply reporting admissions results or people excited about their acceptances.  What is the point in giving them a negative rating, except sour grapes?  I am making it a point to upvote those people.  This is a place to share information and be supportive :)

I really appreciate this comment. I have met some amazing graduate students who have offered wonderful advice over these forums. I'm a first generation college student and often feel naive about the admissions process. People have been truly helpful and kind.

I spoke with a current Fulbrighter (PHD student at a top school) about sociology grad admissions and she constantly reminded me that admissions are sometimes illogical. Don't worry and move on. She's at a different program than she'd intended, and four years later is doing ground-breaking research in China.

I really appreciate this comment. I have met some amazing graduate students who have offered wonderful advice over these forums. I'm a first generation college student and often feel naive about the admissions process. People have been truly helpful and kind.

I spoke with a current Fulbrighter (PHD student at a top school) about sociology grad admissions and she constantly reminded me that admissions are sometimes illogical. Don't worry and move on. She's at a different program than she'd intended, and four years later is doing ground-breaking research in China.

I'd upvote but I'm out of votes for the day :)  I found the forum to be incredibly helpful when I was applying last year, too!

@dreammer3119 I see that Boston College is crossed off of your list. Did you already hear from them?

Thanks

Yes. I called them once I saw some results go out to find out. I am a bit impatient lol. I usually give them a few days after I see a few decisions and call over. I am a bit bummed about this cycle. Not totally defeated but moving forward. I didn't receive an official email from them yet. 

Yes. I called them once I saw some results go out to find out. I am a bit impatient lol. I usually give them a few days after I see a few decisions and call over. I am a bit bummed about this cycle. Not totally defeated but moving forward. I didn't receive an official email from them yet. 

Thanks! I'll call on Tuesday if I do not hear soon. (I'm impatient, too) : )