Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

Some news that hopefully applies to some of you:

- Stony Brook is meeting tomorrow. Expect to hear back later this week or early next.

- UCI hasn't made decisions for non-citizen students yet. This doesn't mean chances for us are good necessarily, though, as they are waiting "for additional funding to become available" first. I think it's not bad news either.

- Binghamton is meeting on the 21st (I think someone else already mentioned this)

- Columbia is still making decisions so some of you might have legit shots (I don't, cause GRE scores lol but thought the rest of you should feel a little at ease). 

- Rutgers has made their decisions so if you're feeling bold, give them a call. 

Anyone else suspect the single Columbia acceptance posted might be a fake? There is only one from last week and noone even claimed it, that I know of.

Also, if anyone has any real info on CUNY and whether they are still accepting (I highly doubt it but gosh I can't stop hoping, I have a total girl crush on this program) please please share. 

I am legitimately stressing out right now. It's been a week since the first acceptances went out and I still haven't heard anything. The DGS's post gave me a little hope, but now I'm not sure anymore. I really hope we find out this week. My significant other is in the process of making his residency rank list (based partly on where I've been accepted), and I am stressed because I really liked Duke. 

It's good to know I'm not alone! I check the Duke site religiously and my heart drops and soars at the "No notifications" message. If I don't hear by Friday then I may just call and but myself out of this misery. 

Re Duke: check your spam folder first of all. A couple of our admits missed the message because it went to spam. If there's no message there, you are either not accepted or you gave us the wrong email address (it's happened!). As of now, I've either sent an email to or talked on the phone with every person who's been admitted. I don't know if all the waitlist folks have been notified though because the grad school does the notifying and they don't tell us.

I know that this is a nerve-wracking time for many of you. I still vividly remember early 2002 and the stress I endured as I waited to hear back from programs. Even after I got into places I really liked, rejection still hurt. I really do sympathize. Good luck out there!

- Stony Brook is meeting tomorrow. Expect to hear back later this week or early next.

- UCI hasn't made decisions for non-citizen students yet. This doesn't mean chances for us are good necessarily, though, as they are waiting "for additional funding to become available" first. I think it's not bad news either.

- Binghamton is meeting on the 21st (I think someone else already mentioned this)

- Columbia is still making decisions so some of you might have legit shots (I don't, cause GRE scores lol but thought the rest of you should feel a little at ease). 

Anyone else suspect the single Columbia acceptance posted might be a fake? There is only one from last week and noone even claimed it, that I know of.

Also, if anyone has any real info on CUNY and whether they are still accepting (I highly doubt it but gosh I can't stop hoping, I have a total girl crush on this program) please please share. 

that Columbia admit was most likely spam. no other news from there so far. does anybody have an idea on when to expect Northwestern responses? 

Re Duke: check your spam folder first of all. A couple of our admits missed the message because it went to spam. If there's no message there, you are either not accepted or you gave us the wrong email address (it's happened!). As of now, I've either sent an email to or talked on the phone with every person who's been admitted. I don't know if all the waitlist folks have been notified though because the grad school does the notifying and they don't tell us.

I know that this is a nerve-wracking time for many of you. I still vividly remember early 2002 and the stress I endured as I waited to hear back from programs. Even after I got into places I really liked, rejection still hurt. I really do sympathize. Good luck out there!

At least I know. Thanks!

Edited by SheWrote

Hi, about CUNY: I emailed them and they said they have only notified the people that they were able to offer funding to, and that I should be hearing from them soon. So there is still a good chance! with no fundings though. 

If anyone is applying to Penn State Rural Sociology program? I have not heard anything from the school even after inquiring about my status.

I am applying to Penn State Rural Soc program as well. I haven't heard anything from the school either. Are you accepted into the program?

I am applying to Penn State Rural Soc program as well. I haven't heard anything from the school either. Are you accepted into the program?

I heard back from Clare Hinrichs, who is actually very helpful. She sent me a notice because I inquired about my application status. My excuse was that I had an offer from another school with full funding and they need me to make a decision soon.

Here is some of what she said:

"The Graduate Program in Rural Sociology at Penn State University is very pleased to offer you admission to our PhD program, starting fall semester 2014. ...We had not contacted you yet about this good news, because at the moment I am not able to offer you a graduate assistantship that will fund your tuition and living stipend…. It is possible that opportunities for your funding here could change in the next two weeks. " It was quite a long, personal email that also included information about how 'tight' the funding is this year. I cannot attend without funding so I am hoping to hear from them in two weeks with some good news. If not I will have to take a different offer.

My application 'stats':

- GPA - medium

- SOP - strong

- potential supervisor - strong 

- GRE - medium

- work experience - strong

- previous degrees - political science, African studies, gender, development (not soc.)

- research interests - gender, agriculture, food/nutrition security

- Canadian student with degrees from Canada and UK (not the USA)

Hope that helps!

I heard back from Clare Hinrichs, who is actually very helpful. She sent me a notice because I inquired about my application status. My excuse was that I had an offer from another school with full funding and they need me to make a decision soon.

Here is some of what she said:

"The Graduate Program in Rural Sociology at Penn State University is very pleased to offer you admission to our PhD program, starting fall semester 2014. ...We had not contacted you yet about this good news, because at the moment I am not able to offer you a graduate assistantship that will fund your tuition and living stipend…. It is possible that opportunities for your funding here could change in the next two weeks. " It was quite a long, personal email that also included information about how 'tight' the funding is this year. I cannot attend without funding so I am hoping to hear from them in two weeks with some good news. If not I will have to take a different offer.

My application 'stats':

- GPA - medium

- SOP - strong

- potential supervisor - strong 

- GRE - medium

- work experience - strong

- previous degrees - political science, African studies, gender, development (not soc.)

- research interests - gender, agriculture, food/nutrition security

- Canadian student with degrees from Canada and UK (not the USA)

Hope that helps!

Firstly, congrats on getting into the program. I hope that the funding comes through for you to attend it really is one of  the best Rural Soc programs out right now. Thank you for sharing the information it helped out a lot. 

Any news from UC Santa Cruz? Anyone claim acceptance? The latest from the results page shows that someone received an email explaining that they are on the waitlist?? 

For anyone waiting to hear from USC, I received an email stating that they are still reviewing application materials and do not have a date yet on admittance's. Thanking me for my patience...

Edited by socialequity

I actually just received a call, I'm now on the wait list....

What area code was the call from? 

Edit* I'm not being accusatory I just received a mystery call without a message and was wondering. 

Edited by Sociolite

Spoke to the representative from Berkeley today. She said that admitted students should have been contacted by faculty that they wanted to work with and that admissions decision (which I'm guessing our denials) are forthcoming very soon from the Graduate School itself.

At least I can move on!

Anyone want to claim the UConn wait-list? And perhaps provide more information about the phone call?

Mary Fischer called to update me on the status of my application.  She said that the committee had met and discussed applications.  They haven't sent any offers of admission.  She claimed that she'd know more in the coming weeks as they got more information about the budget, fellowships, and possible grants.  

Hi everyone, I was reluctant to post this b/c I'm very hesitant to post stuff online, but I can claim the Columbia admit. If I could guess based upon the call and that there have been no other admits on the board there will be more admissions coming, but obviously I don't know for sure. Sorry I don't want to share any more of my stats than I've already shared. Good luck!

Hi everyone, I was reluctant to post this b/c I'm very hesitant to post stuff online, but I can claim the Columbia admit. If I could guess based upon the call and that there have been no other admits on the board there will be more admissions coming, but obviously I don't know for sure. Sorry I don't want to share any more of my stats than I've already shared. Good luck!

Hey Dragon - do you mind sharing if it was a POI or the DGS who called you? Also, congratulations!

[Edit: Hope it didn't sound like I didn't believe you - I was just curious. If you're not comfortable sharing that's totally okay.]

Edited by walterwhite

UC Santa Cruz: I received a call on February 9 offering admission and financial assistance. I have not received an e-mail yet.

Thank you for the information! Was the call from graduate admissions or directly from POI? Also, does it show up on your application at all?  Thanks!