2014 SLP Admissions Thread

I just received a call from Monmouth University. I've FINALLY been ACCEPTED!  I have a phone interview with another school in about fifteen minutes and I'm crying my eyes out. I hope you ALL get to experience this feeling if you haven't already. Never lose hope!

AHHHH!! CONGRATULATIONS! So, so happy for you! I also received my first acceptance today. I knew yours was coming soon! I hope your interview went well :).

Oh my word. I just got an acceptance e-mail from the graduate school of Abilene Christian University. this doesn't feel real. I'm nervous it's not. WOW! AN ACCEPTANCE. I could be going to grad school this fall. This is insane. I am smiling ear to ear and trying to act normal at work.

WOW!!!! God is GOOD!

CONGRATS!!!  :)  

I just received a call from Monmouth University. I've FINALLY been ACCEPTED!  I have a phone interview with another school in about fifteen minutes and I'm crying my eyes out. I hope you ALL get to experience this feeling if you haven't already. Never lose hope!

CONGRATS!!!  :)

I just received a call from Monmouth University. I've FINALLY been ACCEPTED! I have a phone interview with another school in about fifteen minutes and I'm crying my eyes out. I hope you ALL get to experience this feeling if you haven't already. Never lose hope!

Congratulations!!!! I'm so nervous now!!! I hope they make more calls!!

Congrats everybody! I was just accepted into my first school yesterday, too!! It's such a great feeling to add a little green to my signature, and I'm so excited to see it in so many of yours, as well! CONGRATS AGAIN! You all deserve it!! :D

Did you apply for a scholarship at rush? I've been wondering how they disperse their funding. I was accepted too and a scholarship would really help out with that hefty tuition pricetag.

I didn't apply for a scholarship- they emailed saying it's based on prior background/academic performance. They gave me about 2 weeks to decide so that if I don't take it, they can redistribute it to someone else. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do at this point, but if I don't end up accepting it I hope it helps you out!

I am really anxious about making this decision now! I just got my letter from Vandy, and they are offering me 65% tuition remission. I was leaning heavily towards UTD, but it is about a $20,000 difference, and now I am not so sure.

I know it's a lucky kind of problem to have, but it is still going to be very difficult for me.  Prayer time!!!

I am really anxious about making this decision now! I just got my letter from Vandy, and they are offering me 65% tuition remission. I was leaning heavily towards UTD, but it is about a $20,000 difference, and now I am not so sure.

I know it's a lucky kind of problem to have, but it is still going to be very difficult for me.  Prayer time!!!

Oh my gosh that's awesome, congrats!!!!  I'm still waiting anxiously for my letter :wacko:

What was making you lean towards UT Dallas prior to getting financial aid from Vandy?

Good luck with your decision. Was the letter dated? Do you live close to TN? I live on the west coast and am anxiously waiting for mine!

Oh my gosh that's awesome, congrats!!!!  I'm still waiting anxiously for my letter :wacko:

What was making you lean towards UT Dallas prior to getting financial aid from Vandy?

A few reasons- Dr. Stillman, the program director there has really reached out to me and been extremely friendly.  I grew up in Texas.  UTD has a lot of flexibility with curriculum.  UTD has extensive opportunities to work with children with autism.  UTD seems like overall a more laid- back environment/ program.  I put a LOT of pressure on myself, and this is a draw. 

There are plusses for Vandy though. Smaller program (a plus and a minus), more financial aid offered, actual campus that is beautiful (to name a few).

I am really unsure now.  Are you leaning towards Vandy?

Good luck with your decision. Was the letter dated? Do you live close to TN? I live on the west coast and am anxiously waiting for mine!

I live in Alabama, so very close to TN.  The letter is dated March 17.  Are you leaning towards Vandy?

A few reasons- Dr. Stillman, the program director there has really reached out to me and been extremely friendly.  I grew up in Texas.  UTD has a lot of flexibility with curriculum.  UTD has extensive opportunities to work with children with autism.  UTD seems like overall a more laid- back environment/ program.  I put a LOT of pressure on myself, and this is a draw. 

There are plusses for Vandy though. Smaller program (a plus and a minus), more financial aid offered, actual campus that is beautiful (to name a few).

I am really unsure now.  Are you leaning towards Vandy?

Yes, I am leaning towards Vandy right now (or that's my opinion today at least, who knows what I'll be thinking tomorrow!  I seem to keep changing my mind haha so maybe I'm not a good person to ask...).  I'm looking for a program with a medical focus and they have connections with Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.  The other school I'm considering is MGH because it's an amazing program near my home/friends/family and is where I want to be hired after I graduate.  But MGH is more expensive even without tuition assistance.

I do have the same concerns that you do about the competitive nature of the Vanderbilt's program though, so that's definitely something to consider as well.  I want to be happy for the next two years even if I'm a little stressed!  I think the best approach is to contact current students at Vanderbilt and see how they're doing in the program which might give you an idea if it would be a good match for you.  

I'm flying down to see the facilities this weekend though, and I've heard absolutely amazing things!  Are you going to visit?

I live in Alabama, so very close to TN.  The letter is dated March 17.  Are you leaning towards Vandy?

Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting awhile for my letter then. Like ladyinwaiting, I think it will be between MGH, where I was given a scholarship, and Vanderbilt. I do like that Vanderbilt has one less semester. Both have great clinical opportunities. I will be weighing the fit of programs soon. I just feel grateful to have options. UT Dallas sounds like a great option as well as Vanderbilt! It is great that you already have good experience with the professors. That's one thing I want in a program is to "click" with the professors since they will serve as examples and mentors. Good luck with making a decision! Sadly I won't be able to attend the student events for either schools. If you guys go please share any insights.

That's fantastic! Congrats to you!!

Congratulations!!! I Know the feeling :) Just happened for me too! AH!

Yayyy! Congrats, Arg!!! I'm sooooo happy for you! (FYI-I'm loving the green in your signature :-) )

AHHHH!! CONGRATULATIONS! So, so happy for you! I also received my first acceptance today. I knew yours was coming soon! I hope your interview went well :).

CONGRATS!!!   :)

Congratulations!!!! I'm so nervous now!!! I hope they make more calls!!

Thank you all so much (and anyone else who I may have missed)! Don't give up if you haven't heard back yet. I never thought that my moment would come, but it did, and yours will too! This community has been my saving grace throughout the past few months. It's great to have so much support and positive energy.

Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting awhile for my letter then. Like ladyinwaiting, I think it will be between MGH, where I was given a scholarship, and Vanderbilt. I do like that Vanderbilt has one less semester. Both have great clinical opportunities. I will be weighing the fit of programs soon. I just feel grateful to have options. UT Dallas sounds like a great option as well as Vanderbilt! It is great that you already have good experience with the professors. That's one thing I want in a program is to "click" with the professors since they will serve as examples and mentors. Good luck with making a decision! Sadly I won't be able to attend the student events for either schools. If you guys go please share any insights.

Unrelated, but congrats on getting into CSULB!

CaitlinAudrey,

Do you think that the amount of students in the 2015 class will affect placements for the class of 2016?  It's worrying to me that if I choose to go to UIUC, they might also have trouble placing me since there will be so many 2nd years.

Thanks!

Sayjo,

That's a good question and probably one that maybe someone like Dr. Hadley or Dr. Chambers could answer better than I could (phadley@illinois.edu), but I'm not sure. Also, what placements are you referring to? mini-placement, school, hospital, all of them? Main school and hospital placements don't happen until the spring and summer of 2nd year, so all the 2nd years will be long gone at that point and I would assume there would be no problems with finding us placements in our second year (2016). But again, this is a guess on my part. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

My poor signature is a sea of red! Haha I'll just be happy when this whole process is over!

I feel the same! The important thing is that you have a touch of green in there! :) Congrats!

My poor signature is a sea of red! Haha I'll just be happy when this whole process is over!

Take comfort in knowing you are not alone. Most of us look we got shot in our signatures and are bleeding all over the place from all the red rejections.

Sayjo,

That's a good question and probably one that maybe someone like Dr. Hadley or Dr. Chambers could answer better than I could (phadley@illinois.edu), but I'm not sure. Also, what placements are you referring to? mini-placement, school, hospital, all of them? Main school and hospital placements don't happen until the spring and summer of 2nd year, so all the 2nd years will be long gone at that point and I would assume there would be no problems with finding us placements in our second year (2016). But again, this is a guess on my part. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

I guess I was just asking about placements in general for our first year.  I would assume that it might be a struggle in fall to have enough spots at the clinic for everyone!  Thanks!