What's your hobby?

fancyfeast

this is partially why I want to move to california ASAP. My people!

and this weather is terrible. I hate riding on the roller. It takes all the fun out. 

Yeah, even here in MO you have craft beer and bikes but in the winter, since no one owns a shovel, riding is impossible.  A prof of ours broke his collarbone attempting road riding on black ice.

Michigan is also excellent bike riding country - tons of trails, safe roads, and beer and wine (I mean Bell's Brewery, c'mon).  I always ride up there when I am home and grew up camping in MI with bikes.  My family and BF went up to Bell's this fall, though, and it was WORTH IT.

I'm actually building a tiny house right now. There are actually workshops about building tiny houses put on by many of the professional companies that build them. I used to work in construction so I came up with my own plans and am doing it all based on what I already know. I'm currently working on a blog/website about it, so I can add the link in the very near future if you're interested.

Cool! I am definitely interested in reading your blog. Would you please PM me the link?

The 3 b's: birding, botanizing, backpacking

All I could think of was "bears, beets, battlestar galactica" from the office.

Cool hobbies! They could overlap really well. Just create a garden that you have to backpack to and birdwatch along the way :)

Edited by fancyfeast

I go running and weight lifting.

Besides that I love playing videogames, though I don't get much time for that.

I also watch a lot of anime and read manga.

Sometimes I also watch movies and other series.

Yep! Been watching Twin Peaks (& MST3K) pretty obsessively lately.

Ah, MST3K is one of my favorite shows. I think Twin Peaks is good material for MST3K's riff trax.

All I could think of was "bears, beets, battlestar galactica" from the office.

Cool hobbies! They could overlap really well. Just create a garden that you have to backpack to and birdwatch along the way :)

Yep, I am not sure this is an official hobby trifecta, but it should be! I agree: They do overlap well, although birding and botanizing usually dwindle toward the end of a long backpacking trip ;)

I ride dressage (yes, the "dancing horses"). Started out in hunters but in college I banged up my knees enough (not riding, marching band and swing dancing) there's no way I could ride a full course today, and definitely couldn't go out with the hounds.

I also sew, dote on our Sheltie (hopefully starting rally-o training in the summer since she washed out of herding), and started Pilates.

Also, I'm always expanding my collection of medical oddities, bones (only animals, for now; taxidermy & humans one day!), & art (lots of tattoos-to-be & skulls). I have a soft spot for the slightly macabre, especially art that incorporates elements of life & conventional beauty with elements of death. It comes with the mortuary archaeology territory, I suppose. :P

A first year in my program actually does taxidermy- she is incredibly helpful in conservation projects

I listen to a lot of music and try to catch as many free/cheap live shows as I can: lately I've been getting more into local punk and metal, and I've always been a big heavy metal fan. I've been talked into playing soccer again and have been playing pick-up games if I find the time, and my SO and I have been spending free weekends exploring the city.

I also brew beer, though not as often as I did before graduate school. Now I focus more on drinking beer.

this is partially why I want to move to california ASAP. My people!

and this weather is terrible. I hate riding on the roller. It takes all the fun out. 

Maybe not so ASAP. Right now we are in the middle of an increasingly serious drought (as in: will there be involuntary limits on usage in the summer?) and we have tremendous budget problems. Weather IS nice though. :)

I like books and films, college radio and live sound. But I'm in the arts, and lately it's not at all clear what is career inspiration/research and what is hobby… guess that's a nice problem to have, but it feels like I have no hobbies!

Maybe not so ASAP. Right now we are in the middle of an increasingly serious drought (as in: will there be involuntary limits on usage in the summer?) and we have tremendous budget problems. Weather IS nice though. :)

I like books and films, college radio and live sound. But I'm in the arts, and lately it's not at all clear what is career inspiration/research and what is hobby… guess that's a nice problem to have, but it feels like I have no hobbies!

Totally understand. I spend most of my time listening to music, singing in the choir or in dance classes. I also have become interested in reading articles addressing cultural, historical and sociological issues. But I feel all of that is related to my research somehow...

• 3 months later...

I guess it's time to resurrect this thread!

I'm a concert pianist and violinist! I'm currently trying to get my diploma for piano performance through Canada's Royal Conservatory of Music. I also have to perform a piano concerto at the end of September (a month into graduate school). I compose musical numbers when I can and I love to play by ear! (I have perfect pitch). I hope I can keep all that as I go into grad school!

I read a LOT of novels, embroider, design and sew costumes, watch fantasy and historical drama TV shows, go to the theater, and play board and card games with friends on the weekend, often with some alcohol on the side ;)

I read (everything -- fiction, non-fiction), write fiction/blogs, knit, make jewelry (I've started rainbow looming, and it's VERY satisfying and hopefully will provide dollars), drink beer, watch movies/marathon TV series, and spend a good third of my life in the local VA clinics and offices. 

I like hiking and (sort of) running, but I've had to scale back on that lately -- sprained knees suck.

I teach group fitness (aerobics) - step, Zumba, aquafit, stability ball, BOSU, group cycle (spin), group strength training, etc.

I run, swim, and bike.  I train for half-marathons, marathons and triathlons.

I lift weights/strength train.

I read a lot of fantasy and historical fiction.

I show Sphynx cats.

I crochet.