Declined Offers, 2013-2014 Cycle

Didn't all of the UCs sign the agreement? Or is the deadline for admission, not the financial offer (UCLA doesn't fund everyone, do they?). Strange!

It is indeed strange. If the student in question was offered funding, withdrawing his/her admission before Apr 15th would be a violation of the resolution, given they cannot keep the funding offer without the admission offer.

Hey guys,

I know some people had some criticism of the utility of this page, and I agree to the extent that someone accepted to a school should take their time in deciding a school. 

That said, if anyone has been accepted at Duke and has no interest in going with respect to having been accepted at other places or what have you, I'd appreciate it if you decline your offer to the DGS to open up space. 

It'd open up space for others, namely myself, and would be doing me a solid to have a better crack at a school I'd like to attend.

I really hope it will be useful for someone here:

I have just declined a CU-Boulder offer, Theory subfield. They asked me to inform them of my decision as soon as I know for sure, so hopefully they will be making this offer to someone on the waitlist very soon.

I sincerely hope it means exciting news for someone. :)

I discovered, it is pretty heartbreaking to have to decline a program you are really excited about. 

Edited by jeudepaume

I really hope it will be useful for someone here:

I have just declined a CU-Boulder offer, Theory subfield. They asked me to inform them of my decision as soon as I know for sure, so hopefully they will be making this offer to someone on the waitlist very soon.

I sincerely hope it means exciting news for someone. :)

I discovered, it is pretty heartbreaking to have to decline a program you are really excited about. 

Yes it is.  I have imagined myself at each program I have applied to, and I wouldn't have applied if I didn't truly want to go there.  It's been harder for me to decline the program I have (or to consider declining programs I am leaning against, but have not entirely ruled out) than I would have ever thought.  

When you prepare an application, you identify the unique strengths of a program, you identify who you would work with there, and (at least in my case) you think about what courses you'd take in the first years and what life in that city would be like.  It is hard to give up on any of those "potential futures." 

Any admits or even fellow waitlisters who plan on declining their offers/spots on the list at WUSTL and Brandeis, help a brother out and decline as soon as you can. My sanity will greatly benefit from it. 

I just received a (kind of) acceptance from UVA. The DGS said they liked my file, and while not offering an official admit yet, want to know if they'd still be in consideration. I went ahead and informed them I'll likely be attending Cornell (political theory), so hopefully someone else gets the spot. I also just barely turned down Michigan's offer.

I just received a (kind of) acceptance from UVA. The DGS said they liked my file, and while not offering an official admit yet, want to know if they'd still be in consideration. I went ahead and informed them I'll likely be attending Cornell (political theory), so hopefully someone else gets the spot. I also just barely turned down Michigan's offer.

Did the DGS contact you first? I'm still waiting on any word from UVA, so I'm wondering if I should reach out or continue waiting for a decision.

Did the DGS contact you first? I'm still waiting on any word from UVA, so I'm wondering if I should reach out or continue waiting for a decision.

Go ahead and reach out. Our DGS is very responsive to queries.

Hi everyone, I need some help. I was accepted in a good program last month. It was the first program I was accepted to. I spoke to the secretary and a professor who got in touch with me. He, however, didn't reply to my last email (a month back). I am sure he didn't do this on purpose. But as I was accepted to other programs (with a better fit) and started corresponding with other people, I didn't recontact him. I was going to decline the offer next week but he just responded today expressing his apologies and asking me if I was still planning on enrolling. How should I tell him that I've decided to focus on my other offers? I want to be as polite as possible and I don't quite know how to go about it...

It's not a big deal.

Just say something like "I received other offers that I feel are a better fit, therefore after much thought I have decided to decline the offer at X school."

Thanks. I'll say something like that. I guess it's a pretty normal situation to be in.

If it means anything (and it may not since this is a PhD-heavy board), I'll be declining master's offers from the following schools:

--American

--St. John's

--Case Western Reserve

--Saint Louis University

--University of Georgia

--Marquette

Anyone declining Georgetown?  Better yet, any comparativists?  I would burst into tears the second I received a notification that i got off of the waitlist.  Also, if you do decline and I get a spot, I can commit to writing very favorable review articles of all of your work when I am a very important and established academic.  Deal?

Declined offer from Northeastern today, American subfield. 

Also will likely decline UMD College Park soon.

Waiting to hear from BC, on the waitlist for funding at Georgetown. Appreciate hearing of declines from those two!

*Edited to add: PhD program, not masters

Edited by Poli Sci Guy

• 2 weeks later...