Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

So I got an interview request from Baylor.  I am flying out there at the end of February to do a campus visit.

But, I did not get an admit to Yale, which was my first choice...

Some programs have notified on Saturday in the past (like Northwestern), and I don't think it being Sunday would necessarily stop a POI from informally contacting admits. I don't know if this information improves or exacerbates stress levels though haha

Congratz ashiepoo72 on your acceptance to UCD. I love the department and faculty at UCD! 

Some people have mentioned application responses come in waves. Do all programs practice this technique? Also, I noticed quite a few responses from UT-Austin. If I didnt receive a campus invite, or acceptance, does that mean I am either waitlisted or rejected? 

Not all programs have admission waves. For example, I'm 99% sure Michigan State sends out all acceptances and rejections at or around the same time. The programs that have waves (that I'm aware of) are OSU (acceptances are based on a fellowship wave and TAship wave) and Minnesota (same as OSU). Obviously some people are admitted straightaway and others are put on a wait list, so that means an extended wait for those folks. For example, I've seen in past years Davis admits getting accepted off the wait list in late March/early April.

Maybe someone else can speak more to what's going on at UT-Austin, but I think very few programs have official, formal interviews. I wouldn't take this as being out of the game yet.

Personally, I think it's best to take the stance that it isn't over until you've gotten a rejection letter or email or whatever. The results board is amazing for so many reasons, but it can also be deceptive--just because people get in now doesn't always mean more people won't get in later. I know I'm "one to talk," but I'd be saying the same things even if I hadn't heard back from any programs. It's just too early in the game to be defeated, y'all! I bet the next two weeks or so are going to be SO SO busy with notifications! This is just the prelude :)

Edited by ashiepoo72

This is a bit late but I am starting to get nervous about this year so am stalking these pages religiously.

My area is Modern Japanese History and have spread my net pretty wide:

UNC- Chapel Hill, U Wisconsin-Madison, IU-Bloomington, UWA, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Columbia, UCSB (EALC), UCLA (EAST ASIAN STUDIES MA, after advice from POI there), and Michigan Ann-Arbor.

So far: just a long informal Skype conversation with my POI at UNC which went great. 

Emailed 5 POIs prior to applying and got great responses from them all re my project/profile but I know loads of people get that.

Not sure how I am going to be survive this wait!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the boards, but have been stalking since this past fall. I'm so happy seeing people post about their acceptances! But it also makes me anxious/excited!

I'm only applying for my masters, but the wait is unbearable! Has anyone here also applied to North Carolina State University, University of South Carolina, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, George Washington University, or Royal Holloway? Or at least heard any rumblings? 

I hope everyone has a good weekend  :)

I'm irrationally annoyed every time someone in my family asks me stuff like "why didn't you apply to Berkeley or Stanford?" Or "don't you know its cold six months of the year in the Midwest?"

How many times do I have to say I applied where my research could best be supported, and that my schools were chosen based on career goals, not how warm I want to be for the next five or so years?