Anxious after accepting offer?

The Wayfarer

So, I have recently accepted an offer of admission for a PhD in Public Administration -- the program director has been extremely helpful and receptive ever since they have sent the offer. But I find myself checking my email far too much looking for new updates on the program. (Obviously the program doesn't start until August so...a little ahead of myself.)

Part of me just feels like they made a mistake in admitting me and I'll find an email saying - "oh no...we didn't mean that." Is this just normal nerves after making your decision? Does anyone else find themselves trying to be immersed in the program this far out?

YES, thank you for making this thread. In my case, I'm still waiting on the graduate school official letter so I am checking my email a million times a day. I've already put in my intent to attend and paid my deposit but a part of me thinks that the dean will say "Oh no, not this one. Nevermind", lol. Does this ever happen?!? That would be so cruel...I'm also checking my mail everyday hoping for that information package so I can start planning all the fun events I will go to and the books I will buy, etc. I feel like now that we have been waiting so long, we want things to start happening...NOW.  :lol:

I feel similarly, but not because I feel like they accidentally admitted me, but because I feel like I should actually be doing something. I got an e-mail this week saying they received notification that I accepted their offer, and sent along a lot of links for further information on the school/town/housing. I have poked around all of the links, but I feel like I should be doing something productive, I just don't know what...

Hah! Fellow UWO acceptee here, feeling the exact same way you are. I've even been logging in and out of Student Centre for no reason other than to go, "Yup... still shows I've accepted my offer."

I actually asked the profs who interviewed me what I should be doing over the summer and they said to get some volunteer counselling experience in if I can, but other than that to RELAX. I think it's important to decompress after your undergrad so you're ready to give 100% in grad school.

I feel similarly, but not because I feel like they accidentally admitted me, but because I feel like I should actually be doing something. I got an e-mail this week saying they received notification that I accepted their offer, and sent along a lot of links for further information on the school/town/housing. I have poked around all of the links, but I feel like I should be doing something productive, I just don't know what...

I feel like this. I have stared at potential apartments for hours on end 0_0

Glad other people are experiencing this haha. I accepted via email, asked if there was anything else I needed to do and they told me not until I receive a packet later in the spring from the grad school when I would pay my deposit and that stuff. 

It just seems weird to accept over email and now I'm just waiting and waiting and yeah. Even though they told me there was nothing else I needed to do or fill out.

I'm in the process of planning my first visit to campus post-acceptance so hopefully that will keep my mind off of other things! Also puts my mind a little at ease that the program director seems very welcoming...

I keep feeling like I should be spending the next five months doing some sort of epic training to prepare for grad school, like rereading all of the primary source information on my research topic or learning a new language … maybe just walking around with books balanced on my head and hoping that I can reacquire all of that knowledge that has left my brain since finishing undergrad ...

Now that I've accepted an offer, I just feel restless all the time. I'm probably not going to move until early August, the coordinator isn't going to send out information about the program until June or July, so I just need to keep living my normal life. I still have to work at my boring office job for a few more months and I need to write my master's thesis but it is so hard to focus because I am quite ready to move on and now I know that I definitely will be, just not for a few months. It's kind of a let-down after the hectic and nerve-wracking application season to just have to wait quietly for a few months before the big changes can begin.

Man, I know where I want to go, but I'm so nervous to accept. I can't help but wonder if some life-altering event will present itself before April 15th, swaying my decision. I'm not waiting on anything else. Why am I waiting to accept admission?

Now that I've accepted an offer, I just feel restless all the time. I'm probably not going to move until early August, the coordinator isn't going to send out information about the program until June or July, so I just need to keep living my normal life. I still have to work at my boring office job for a few more months and I need to write my master's thesis but it is so hard to focus because I am quite ready to move on and now I know that I definitely will be, just not for a few months. It's kind of a let-down after the hectic and nerve-wracking application season to just have to wait quietly for a few months before the big changes can begin.

This is the way I'm feeling. I am falling behind on my current research and my "real" job, because I really just want to move on with my life. I feel a bit guilty about it, but after a great deal of excitement and craziness it's just driving me crazy to settle back down into exactly what I was doing before the application process.

I was accepted by my division and am waiting for the university to confirm, so I'm definitely nervous.

I confirmed by email that I'll be going, and sent in my deposit to the school, so rather than wait for the (notoriously slow) university I'm just waiting for my deposit check to clear. That's when I'll let my admission offer at my second choice school go-- it makes me feel bad to hold onto it so long, but I did decline #3 already and it just makes me nervous to decline before the confirmation that I'm really truly going to enroll.

Plus once it's confirmed I have to give notice at my job. Definitley not doing that until every i is dotted.

I do not have similar feelings as you guys; I think that my new school is lucky to have me.

I love this! I think that I'm falling victim to this impostor syndrome because I know that most successful applicants in my field have a higher GPA than I do. But, I also will be bringing valuable personal experience and I have worked hard on other aspects of my application, including publishing my research in a major journal in my field. I need to remember this and that they accepted me for a reason! 

This is exactly how I am feeling; a holding pattern right before a big life change is not good for my anxiousness.  :wacko:

I'm anxious because I constantly second-guess my decisions. Did I choose the right program? Are they going to find some (fictional) problem with my application and turn me away before I can start classes? Did I make a huge mistake to return to school after graduating so many years ago (I finished my undergrad in 2007)?

I think the hardest part is not being able to start taking courses and working on my thesis right. NOW. I don't want to spend the next four months working in an office; I want to relax, enjoy my summer, audit some summer courses and do lots of reading preparation for my degree. I'm ready to start the next phase of my life now and I can't stand the fact that I have to wait. :wacko:

I was planning on taking August off; now I'm thinking that I should take part of July off too.

I was planning on taking August off; now I'm thinking that I should take part of July off too.

This. I was originally planning to work as long as possible before I move, but now I just want my supervisor to post the job opening and start looking for a replacement for me so I can get out of this dead-end office job.

I WISH I could quit my job and take the summer off :(. My family is going on a road trip to the mountains in August two weeks before I'm supposed to leave but I know I should stay and work as long as I can to save money. 

I'm still super anxious, but luckily I'm in finals week for the last semester of my undergrad, so I can at least focus my panic on something for the next few days :)

I'm so nervous... not because I'm afraid they'll rescind my offer or anything, but because I'm just nervous about the whole thing. Like, what if I'm making a huge mistake and a phd isn't for me? I'm also worried about the financial side. The aid package isn't quite as generous as I'd have liked given the cost of living where I'll be going, so I'm nervous about making ends meet.