Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Its possible, but seems somewhat unlikely to me.  Campus was shut down yesterday, and again today.  The DGS told me they wouldn't be making decisions for probably two weeks after the interview. 

Thanks for the info about timing. It may be good for all of us applying to schools affected by the weather lately to remember that decisions may come later than usual this year due to department meetings being postponed. Hang tight, everyone!

I would guess, though, that the person who received the rejection and was recommended to apply to the MA program at Vanderbilt might not have been invited to interview which could explain why they received their notification earlier.

Its possible, but seems somewhat unlikely to me.  Campus was shut down yesterday, and again today.  The DGS told me they wouldn't be making decisions for probably two weeks after the interview. 

Seconded, the timing is weird but GDR does refer applicants to the Div School for a M* so it's not impossible. With no one being on campus the past two days, it means the decision had already been made and was released today. Presuming their rejection came so early, I doubt they were ever interviewed for a spot.

I'm still freaking out about chicago. Either nobody got in from Jewish and Islamic subfields, or they are releasing in waves by subfield. My guess is the former, but I'm just in a pessimistic place about this whole process anyway. Emailed the school, and was told

"Thanks for the note. In logistical terms, you will receive a system email (from the application interface) notifying you of a change in your application’s status and asking you to log in to view it. In terms of timing, we expect to release decisions in the very near future, but I’m not able to cite a precise date at this point."

who wants to help me decipher this?

Edited by doobiebrothers

I'm still freaking out about chicago. Either nobody got in from Jewish and Islamic subfields, or they are releasing in waves by subfield. My guess is the former, but I'm just in a pessimistic place about this whole process anyway. Emailed the school, and was told

"Thanks for the note. In logistical terms, you will receive a system email (from the application interface) notifying you of a change in your application’s status and asking you to log in to view it. In terms of timing, we expect to release decisions in the very near future, but I’m not able to cite a precise date at this point."

who wants to help me decipher this?

It's my understanding that internal offers have been made, but not all external offers.

Thanks for the info about timing. It may be good for all of us applying to schools affected by the weather lately to remember that decisions may come later than usual this year due to department meetings being postponed. Hang tight, everyone!

I would guess, though, that the person who received the rejection and was recommended to apply to the MA program at Vanderbilt might not have been invited to interview which could explain why they received their notification earlier.

Seconded, the timing is weird but GDR does refer applicants to the Div School for a M* so it's not impossible. With no one being on campus the past two days, it means the decision had already been made and was released today. Presuming their rejection came so early, I doubt they were ever interviewed for a spot.

Well, I take back my suspicions.  The history department at Vanderbilt sent their admits out today... 

I actually had something very similar happen to me two years ago with Harvard Divinity School. I had created an account just so I could see what was on the ThD application (which they no longer have, as it has dissolved into the PhD program through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences). I never even applied. But I got an e-mail, saying that they had received my deposit and they were looking forward to seeing me in September.

Since I hadn't applied, and certainly hadn't paid any deposit, I knew it was a mistake, and I e-mailed them immediately. They quickly responded by saying that it had been sent to me in error and that I should disregard it. I didn't hear anything about anyone else having something similar happen, so I guess it was just an isolated e-mail.

It's a very good thing that I hadn't really applied because I'm sure I would have been an emotional trainwreck. And I think if I do get accepted somewhere this year, I will be guarded about celebrating too quickly!

But, hey, if nothing else, at least I can tell people that I have been accepted into Harvard before!  :)

Has anyone heard anything else  (interview requests, etc) from Yale? 

I got a Skype interview request a few weeks ago. I think we are supposed to hear by the end of the month.

I actually had something very similar happen to me two years ago with Harvard Divinity School. I had created an account just so I could see what was on the ThD application (which they no longer have, as it has dissolved into the PhD program through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences). I never even applied. But I got an e-mail, saying that they had received my deposit and they were looking forward to seeing me in September.

Since I hadn't applied, and certainly hadn't paid any deposit, I knew it was a mistake, and I e-mailed them immediately. They quickly responded by saying that it had been sent to me in error and that I should disregard it. I didn't hear anything about anyone else having something similar happen, so I guess it was just an isolated e-mail.

It's a very good thing that I hadn't really applied because I'm sure I would have been an emotional trainwreck. And I think if I do get accepted somewhere this year, I will be guarded about celebrating too quickly!

But, hey, if nothing else, at least I can tell people that I have been accepted into Harvard before!  :)

That totally happened to me, too. Spring 2013, right??

I think I had opened the app for the MTS or ThM or something, but I never submitted anything to Harvard. I knew it was an error as soon as I got the email, but it was fun to tell folks that I was officially a Harvard Div student for the forty-some minutes it took for them to rescind my notice of admission into a program to which I'd never applied. I had actually already accepted an offer for a PhD elsewhere when this happened, if memory serves. It was a fun morning. 

Not to freak you all out, but I just heard from my DGS that we are not admitting ANY new PhDs in the Fall; several other departments in the school are in the same situation, and apparently it's spreading like an epidemic.

All of it is due to budget cuts.  So, if you're waiting on any publicly-funded schools, the situation is not great at the moment...