Let's Overanalyze Together

firewisp11

The only pattern in responses I've seen so far is that there is no pattern! I've gotten interview invites the Sunday before Christmas, on a Wednesday evening, a Thursday night, the morning of a holiday, a Saturday night, and only one during a time that "makes sense", on a Wednesday morning. They always catch me totally by surprise! (In a good way of course.) 

Oh no, now I'll never stop checking my email!

From my experience and that of the four other people I know getting grad school notifications:

Yes, only weekdays.

Yes, only business hours (with the exception of UM Ann Arbor which sent out an acceptance at 5AM in their time zone).

The notifications have come in Wed-Fri. Usually in the afternoon.

Hate to be a Mary Contrary, but during my master's round I got a grad school acceptance via email late on a Sunday evening.

(Ps is your username a peep show reference?)

Edited by grad_wannabe

Hate to be a Mary Contrary, but during my master's round I got a grad school acceptance via email late on a Sunday evening.

I received an interview request late Sunday night as well (11:30PM). Last year I received a request after midnight.

Very interesting. It seems like a lot of people have gotten acceptances at weird hours. I guess my post was genuinely living up to the "over analyzing" theme.

And, yes, my username is a Peep Show reference. I love that show!

U of Denver sent an email about external funding opportunities that can be used "wherever you end up" (something like that), so of course my mind is taking this as proof of an upcoming rejection...

Really? That's not what I read into it. I think it could be interpreted either way. I wouldn't assume the worst.

Really? That's not what I read into it. I think it could be interpreted either way. I wouldn't assume the worst.

Oh, rationally, I know that's not it, but I'm suffering from impostor syndrome and so, yeah, I think the worst.

What I hate about the email notifications is that around the time acceptances should be going out I freak out every time my phone dings.  And then I'm like, "I don't give a shit that there's a sale at Old Navy!!!!!!" 

This is me right now. When did I sign up for so many email subscriptions!?

- "Anyone that hasn't been accepted past x date, can just assume they're rejected"

- "I got off the waitlist!!!"

- "I got in!!!"

- "I got rejected..."

- "This school ALWAYS interviews candidates"

- "No, I know a girl that got in without an interview"

- "They only interview the candidates they're unsure about"

- "But they implemented a new policy five years ago, so they have to interview everyone. If you haven't gotten an interview, you were rejected."

- "A professor said that they interview everyone."

- "I know like three people who got in last year without being interviewed."

- "I GOT INTO THEIR MASTER'S PROGRAM!!!"

- "I DID TOO! What do I do about funding?"

- "Shoot, they're not replying. How am I going to get funding?"

- "They never fund master's students."

- "i have a 2.7 gpa and i got into mit lol"

- "It's like March and I'm still on the wait—wait, I'm rejected."

- "I called their office and the lady told me that I didn't get in"

- "I haven't heard back from anyone and it's late March. Guys...guys???"

I hate the internet sometimes...

My unofficial admission hasn't turned into an official admission. Application still in review according to my application status. No information on their financial aid / stipend. Clearly I am not admitted and this is all just a misunderstanding right?

But in all seriousness, my mind was playing some serious games with me, with the above information. Then I realized there's no point in worrying until I have a reason to worry.

Oh boo-hoo, we're all so sympathetic that you're worried about your unofficial admission. Meanwhile, in real graduate application hell, some of us have heard nothing back so far. 

Was that really necessary? We all have anxieties, whether or not we're accepted - I think, since the title of the thread is "Let's Overanalyze Together," that the OP has as much right as anyone to make fun of themselves and the application process. 

I, for example, pretty much feel like this every time I check my (empty) inbox:

anigif_enhanced-29561-1422282441-9.gif

A few people have been accepted to insert school here, therefore we have all been rejected by all schools we've applied for

Oh gosh, yes!  And even though it's totally stupid to do so, I keep comparing my scores with all the ones that are posted ("Oh gosh, this person got a higher verbal score and still got rejected -- I am DOOMED!" and "This person got accepted with that low of a GPA?  My worries are over!")  Sigh.  Human nature . . .  

Suddenly I can think of at least four schools I didn't apply to which I think I should have applied to.

What if I don't get into any of the 9 I did apply to? Would I have gotten into the schools I didn't think to bother with?

This is definitely the thought I keep having. Every time a result goes up on the board...If I had applied there, I would already know! Why didn't I apply there? Did I even consider that program? Should I apply there next cycle after I get rejections from all the schools I applied to this year?

I'm currently overanalyzing a wait list placement I have due to the tantalizing but incomplete information that the head of the admissions committee gave me during a call. He said:

- 8 students were given solid admission offers (which is at least double what they normally do)

- on an average year, 2-3 students are accepted off the wait list (but obviously no guarantees)

- I am "within that range" on the wait list but I have no idea if I'm #1 or #3

- he "hopes that I make it" and that the process of deciding the 8 admits was "completely arbitrary"

I have no idea what to think aghhhhh the anxietyyyyyy.

I'm currently overanalyzing a wait list placement I have due to the tantalizing but incomplete information that the head of the admissions committee gave me during a call. He said:

- 8 students were given solid admission offers (which is at least double what they normally do)

- on an average year, 2-3 students are accepted off the wait list (but obviously no guarantees)

- he "hopes that I make it" and that the process of deciding the 8 admits was "completely arbitrary"

"You'll probably get in off the wait list...but maybe not...but I'm sure you will...but then again who knows.  Good luck and we'll let you know at some future date that is agonizingly far away from the present!

Adcoms pls

Ugh, I had a nasty revelation this morning ...

So, I have an old "artsy" website, from my early career as an artist. In applying for Communications PhD programs, my rec letter writers advised that I hide all of that artsy stuff, and to never mention it in my applications, to emphasize my aptitude as a writer, researcher, and scholar and potential for training in academia. In my application packets I followed this advice to the letter. 

but, i kinda liked the old art portfolio website I'd built and the look of it, so I left it up, even though all the publishing info and CV were terribly outdated. i figured all my newest info was already in my apps, and that adcomms wouldn't be concerned with an obviously older, outdated site.

plus, my google analytics showed that ZERO people were looking at my old site anyhow, so I didn't worry about it. 

in the past couple weeks, I came to doubt that decision, and had my URL forward all visitors to a more "academic" site with greater emphasis on teaching, writing, and publishing. 

Well ... I was just poking around my analytics ... I found a tab I'd never noticed before .. which held all the REAL visitor data for my old art site. somehow I had TWO analytics reports, I'd been looking at an erroneous one. 

back in early january there was a visit from the city of my top-choice school. they spent about fifteen seconds looking at my old art CV (with zero publications or conferences, all art exhibitions and performances) and my old publishing page (full of art and film criticism), and then promptly left. 

ughhhhh I'm certain now that I won't get in. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

That just sounds cruel. Jesus, I'm not sure if these folks remember how it was for them (even the youngins), though I guess there isn't much more they can say besides, "Congrats, you're waitlisted". 

I am also a semi-professional belly dancer, and I left up my belly dance site, in my real name.  It is actually related to the research I'm proposing, and the fact that I belly dance is mentioned in my SOP and my CV, but I worry sometimes that it will hurt my chances.  But then I think, if they look down on that, it's not the kind of program I want to be in.  And then I think I just want to get in.  I agree - ughhhhhh!

I am also a semi-professional belly dancer, and I left up my belly dance site, in my real name.  It is actually related to the research I'm proposing, and the fact that I belly dance is mentioned in my SOP and my CV, but I worry sometimes that it will hurt my chances.  But then I think, if they look down on that, it's not the kind of program I want to be in.  And then I think I just want to get in.  I agree - ughhhhhh!

thanks for the commiseration!

my SOP, too, is related to art, so it's not totally unconnected, but I go back and forth with this exact tussle -- "well, I WAS an artist for a LONG time, it is related to my research proposal even though it's not the center of my universe anymore, it's best to just be open and honest and let the chips fall where they may, and if they don't like the art stuff then that's not where I want to be!"

and then I move from that to "ugh I just want to get admitted!"

"You'll probably get in off the wait list...but maybe not...but I'm sure you will...but then again who knows.  Good luck and we'll let you know at some future date that is agonizingly far away from the present!

Adcoms pls

That just sounds cruel. Jesus, I'm not sure if these folks remember how it was for them (even the youngins), though I guess there isn't much more they can say besides, "Congrats, you're waitlisted". 

Right? He was extremely nice but at the same time I just wanted a straight answer!

Feeling very

WBkWkQW.gif