Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

7 minutes ago, TiredAndAnxious said:

@nom do you know if all acceptances were sent out over this past weekend?

They didn't specify. The response I got was
"All decisions regarding PhD applications will be released this week."

6 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

I know I sound like a broken record (I'm sorry everyone), but should I just email UCLA and ask about the application status? Like I think more than one person is probably wondering about this. 

I emailed UCLA also...but no response.

8 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

I know I sound like a broken record (I'm sorry everyone), but should I just email UCLA and ask about the application status? Like I think more than one person is probably wondering about this. 

Yes, go ahead.

CU Boulder sent out my letter so people know :) Didn't get in, not surprised- my application was more of an attempt to see what the process was like. My SOP was likely off target, everything could be improved, etc.  Sorta wish there were more PhD programs in the west-central for those of us who can't move (seriously- my option is to drive 1.5 hrs [almost] every day to Boulder or to Manhattan Kansas, 10 hrs away)! When I met with a professor up there, I honestly didn't like the vibe. (I had already applied, so there was no turning back at that point) It is disappointing but certainly for the best.

44 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

Yes. I am also wondering what the process is at the moment. Still deciding? Getting funding together? It would be nice to know.

38 minutes ago, nom said:

They didn't specify. The response I got was
"All decisions regarding PhD applications will be released this week."

I emailed UCLA also...but no response.

If you emailed the generic UCLA email they never reply. I've emailed Hadley Porter the graduate advisor and she was very responsive at first, but has since gone into hiding. Still, emailing her would be the best bet.

17 minutes ago, hollyt00 said:

CU Boulder sent out my letter so people know :) Didn't get in, not surprised- my application was more of an attempt to see what the process was like. My SOP was likely off target, everything could be improved, etc.  Sorta wish there were more PhD programs in the west-central for those of us who can't move (seriously- my option is to drive 1.5 hrs [almost] every day to Boulder or to Manhattan Kansas, 10 hrs away)! When I met with a professor up there, I honestly didn't like the vibe. (I had already applied, so there was no turning back at that point) It is disappointing but certainly for the best.

Pardon me if I'm reading this incorrectly, but commuting 10 hours away is not sustainable whatsoever. A PhD is a great commitment, and that would not be conducive to your success. I'm not sure what your personal situation is or what your intellectual interests are; nonetheless it sounds like it isn't the time for you to apply just yet. You want to apply to a range of schools (across the U.S) that complement your interests and areas of study. Graduate admissions are extremely competitive. You can only help yourself by applying to schools that are a good fit and showing that in your dossier. 

21 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

If you emailed the generic UCLA email they never reply. I've emailed Hadley Porter the graduate advisor and she was very responsive at first, but has since gone into hiding. Still, emailing her would be the best bet.

I emailed Hadley just now, so I'll keep you guys posted on any news. For people who applied to UCSB, the committee is still meeting and decisions will be out "in March" (that's vague and unhelpful, but that's all the info I have). So, there's still hope! 

Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle wait listed applications? Would waiting 3-4 weeks after notification to check in look too pushy or impatient? I have been wait listed for my top 2 choices (Purdue History and Indiana HPS), and although I know I still need to wait for those accepted to reject in order for me to be considered, I want them to know I really want to get into these programs... So I feel like not saying anything would make me look uninterested.

Also has anybody heard from U of Kentucky?

30 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

I emailed Hadley.

8 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

I emailed Hadley just now, so I'll keep you guys posted on any news. For people who applied to UCSB, the committee is still meeting and decisions will be out "in March" (that's vague and unhelpful, but that's all the info I have). So, there's still hope! 

If I hear anything I'll also relay the message.

1 hour ago, hollyt00 said:

Sorry to hear that :(

I was accepted by Colorado, although it seems I was in the "second-wave" as they deemed it for funding. Apparently, CU-Boulder accepts more people than it is to fund them all. Their assumption is that many applicants will go to other schools, whittling down the field to something manageable. In that case, it doesn't sound like they have a waitlist. 

In any case, I have to decide between Colorado and Vanderbilt. Coincidently, Vanderbilt sent me info on their funding package. Suffice it to say, I don't think CU-Boulder can top that. But I'll make a final decision once I visit both schools in March. 

Edited by _etruscan

3 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

Is it too early to contact Penn? There haven't been any indication of a waitlist and decisions came out a couple of weeks ago. 

I'm not familiar with Penn but they may have an unofficial waitlist. That being said, I would go ahead and contact a POI or DGS. 

6 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

Is it too early to contact Penn? There haven't been any indication of a waitlist and decisions came out a couple of weeks ago. 

2 minutes ago, archersline said:

I'm not familiar with Penn but they may have an unofficial waitlist. That being said, I would go ahead and contact a POI or DGS. 

I contacted Penn today. I got a " I've sent your message along to Prof. Nathans, and he may be able to tell you where the committee is regarding its final decisions.
Good Luck to you."  whomp.

Just now, nom said:

I contacted Penn today. I got a " I've sent your message along to Prof. Nathans, and he may be able to tell you where the committee is regarding its final decisions.
Good Luck to you."  whomp.

There you go. Sounds like there might be hope yet. 

8 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

When I applied (two years ago) there was an official waitlist, and they notified me via email. I'm guessing that is probably the same?

Just now, catsandscarves said:

When I applied (two years ago) there was an official waitlist, and they notified me via email. I'm guessing that is probably the same?

I would assume so. I would still recommend the OP contact Penn if they want an update. 

1 minute ago, catsandscarves said:

I thought so too, but there hasn't been any indication of one. 

We should probably refrain from sending unnecessary emails. I realize most of us are still anxiously waiting to hear back from many programs. However, be mindful that the DGS, graduate coordinators, and staff are busy organizing campus visits, working with current graduate students, etc. I think as a courtesy we should let the process play itself out.

45 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

We should probably refrain from sending unnecessary emails. I realize most of us are still anxiously waiting to hear back from many programs. However, be mindful that the DGS, graduate coordinators, and staff are busy organizing campus visits, working with current graduate students, etc. I think as a courtesy we should let the process play itself out.

I agree.

But come 2-3 weeks from now, if people still haven't heard anything, I might suggest a poke.

2 hours ago, stillalivetui said:

Oops...I prematurely poked...

Hi all. I've been keeping up with posts/results from many history applicants, so congratulations to everyone for making it to this point in the process. I need a bit of advice: I have been wait-listed at my top choice school. I have a phone conversation tomorrow with the Director of GS in my department, and I want to make an excellent impression. My feeling is that the conversation is mostly about my place on the waitlist and what would happen in the *incredible* case that I was admitted. However, I want to ask articulate questions and demonstrate my sincere interest in the program. Any suggestions or comments about how to approach the conversation would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance. 

Some advice for everyone wanting to get off of a waitlist: as soon as you find out you're on one for one of your top choice schools, send a nice email back to whomever contacted you and say how excited you are about the school and the possibility, that the school is your top choice, and be sure to include in the email what other offers you have. Also, say that you are willing to--and do--send along any offers from other universities that you receive, as you receive them from there on out. Other than those things, I would not recommend calling to inquire on the status. Good luck!

Well, I just logged into the University of Tennessee's application website to check my status, since they are taking quite a bit longer than they have in past years to notify. I've been admitted, which is awesome!  However, I've had contact from either my POI or the DGS to let me know this, which seems pretty weird.  Someone else also posted the same thing...