Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

1 minute ago, rachberks said:

I hope not. From what I know they go out in waves.

Nope, they do it in waves. They send one wave then see how many people accept. When people decline it opens spots for other people to get offers or get off the waitlist. 

1 minute ago, pinsandneedles said:

The advance standing program is the 1 year program instead of the 2 year "foundation year" program :)

THANK YOU! It's been driving me nuts! Haha.
I am waiting for the foundation-year program, but my roommate found out in early February that he had been accepted to the advanced standing. So first wave of acceptance has gone out for that! Hopefully the next will soon and you will get in!!

Good luck!! :) 

4 minutes ago, kjackson said:

THANK YOU! It's been driving me nuts! Haha.
I am waiting for the foundation-year program, but my roommate found out in early February that he had been accepted to the advanced standing. So first wave of acceptance has gone out for that! Hopefully the next will soon and you will get in!!

Good luck!! :) 

Thanks and good luck to you! I am a very unlikely candidate to get in. Is your roommate current in the BSW at UCalgary? 

5 minutes ago, pinsandneedles said:

Thanks and good luck to you! I am a very unlikely candidate to get in. Is your roommate current in the BSW at UCalgary? 

What makes you unlikely?
No, he graduated last May (possibly the year before that, I can't remember).

Just now, kjackson said:

What makes you unlikely?
No, he graduated last May (possibly the year before that, I can't remember).

My GPA will come from my current BSW program combined with a significantly lower GPA from my first degree, so it will put a very big dent in everything. But, the faculty knows who I am and I have years of experience, so maybe they will look at all the hoops I've jumped (taking the BSW) and how many times I have applied and take pity on me!!

1 minute ago, pinsandneedles said:

My GPA will come from my current BSW program combined with a significantly lower GPA from my first degree, so it will put a very big dent in everything. But, the faculty knows who I am and I have years of experience, so maybe they will look at all the hoops I've jumped (taking the BSW) and how many times I have applied and take pity on me!!

That will totally count for something! I'm sure of it!
Most of us blunder up a few years, I sure did trying to figure my life out!
I will be sending you positive vibes :) 

5 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Guys, my ROSI says nothing so far :( 

Does that mean I'm not in?

Neither does mine, I think we should give up checking for today since its already 4:30 basically. 
Acceptances will come in waves. Lets not give up hope its only been a day!

4 minutes ago, Applicant#1000 said:

not yet, but don't worry more offers will be going out in a few days/weeks :) 

Thanks for replying and helping calm my anxiety lol. So basically, for the next few weeks, no news is good news? Unless, I receive a rejection letter?

Edited by phd2msw

1 minute ago, rachberks said:

Neither does mine, I think we should give up checking for today since its already 4:30 basically. 
Acceptances will come in waves. Lets not give up hope its only been a day!

Thanks. I am super worried,  but we're in this together. I'm going to try and not check until Friday I think. 

22 minutes ago, pinsandneedles said:

Advanced Standing programs usually only consider your BSW marks. My GPA from my first degree is what held me back before I got my BSW, so I understand what you mean. The only school that may consider my BComm marks is Waterloo - and I was told that it wouldn't bear much weight on my application. York and Ryerson both said its only my BSW that they consider. If your GPA from you BSW is good, then that is what mostly counts :) 

5 minutes ago, KatRousi said:

Advanced Standing programs usually only consider your BSW marks. My GPA from my first degree is what held me back before I got my BSW, so I understand what you mean. The only school that may consider my BComm marks is Waterloo - and I was told that it wouldn't bear much weight on my application. York and Ryerson both said its only my BSW that they consider. If your GPA from you BSW is good, then that is what mostly counts :) 

Except that I finish my BSW this term, so they pull 13 completed credits from it and top up the other 7 from my BA :/ I am sure that when I apply for 2017 I will have way less to be worried about :) thank you for your supportive words!!

congrats for those of you who got into the 2 yr MSW at u of t already! :D the anticipation is killing me!! I've applied to MSW programs at U of T and Laurier, Counselling at McGill and the HBSW at Lakehead as a backup. Still no word from anyone yet, really hoping for u of t as its my top choice.

I graduated from psych and neurosci at Mac in april 2015. Was rejected from counselling psych and school & child clinical psych last yr so thought I'd get into the mental health field through a msw. I graduated with a 3.8ish GPA in my last 2 yrs, have some research experience through research courses/volunteering and have 4+ months of ABA/IBI experience through my honours thesis. I am also currently working as an ABA therapist for kids with autism (which wasn't on my resume when I applied :unsure:) My volunteer experience is pretty weak as it was not focused on social services or mental health, but moreso I dabbled in a bunch of different experiences which I regret now as I've heard that's a big plus for grad school. I have tons of experience working with children which is what I want to focus on anyways.

My friend is currently completing the HBSW at Lakehead (Orillia campus) and got into Mac for 2016. She spoke highly of the program as you can do your placement anywhere (local, national or international), only have to live in Orillia for about 4-5 months and its fairly easy to pull off a high GPA. So I'd suggest those of you without a BSW to consider that if MSW doesn't work out this yr.

I realllyyyyyy hope I get in this yr as it is next to impossible to find a relevant job with a BA in psych these days :(

3 hours ago, KatRousi said:

Call Lakehead campus in Thunder Bay, Sonya  is usually there and she almost always answers the phone. That's very strange that it says 'incomplete' Did you finish the online exam and did your references send everything in?

Absolutely! I did everything. When I check in the 'My Documents' section as well it shows that everything has been received, with my last one being received on January 29th which was the deadline. I received email confirmation saying that my supplementary package was complete as well, and went into the link where we did the online exam and it says it was completed. 

....sigh. As if this process wasn't stressful enough :-p.

Hi. I have been following this thread and learning much, but I'm still undecided as to which school I want to attend. I was hoping that posting and getting some of your input in here could help me decide.

I was accepted to U of T's MSW and McGill's Qualifying Year for MSW, and I also received an invitation to an interview for McGill's new clinically specialized MSc(A) program in couple and family therapy. I'm in Quebec but thinking of moving back to Ontario, where I am a registered psychotherapist and with years of counselling experience. However, I want more clinical training, a more recognized degree, and eventually a private practice. I am aware, however, that private practice might be a gamble and may take a while to build. Social work is more established as profession as compared with couple and family therapy, so I'm leaning to MSW followed be reapplying to McGill's MSc(A), but this time the Advanced (1yr) program (2 masters in 3 years!). Would anyone who knows share how McGill's and U of T's MSW programs compared with regards to reputability and quality of training. I'd be grateful.

By the way, for those wondering, I got a direct confirmation from McGill's MSW dept. that 100% of those who complete successfully (field practicum, B+ in every course.) the qualifying year at McGill are admitted automatically to its MSW; the application process does not require external references are required. 

Good luck to everyone who applied! 

5 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey,

I applied to the Waterloo post degree BSW - so I am not a good way to tell when you will hear back haha, but I have not heard back to answer your question!

I'm doing that right now. If it helps, last year waitlist was posted on March 16th and acceptances were the 17th.

I think you'll like the program a lot :)

3 hours ago, KatRousi said:

You haven't heard from Waterloo yet?

12 minutes ago, Mack said:

I'm doing that right now. If it helps, last year waitlist was posted on March 16th and acceptances were the 17th.

I think you'll like the program a lot :)

Hey Mack,

Thank you so much for your information!! I am praying to get in, it seems like a great opportunity. I am just a little bit concerned about my overall GPA its only a 79%. I didn't do well in my first 2 years so I have been trying so hard to raise it. I do have 3400 hours of experience, 2200 of which are working directly with individuals who suffer from mental illness, specifically schizophrenia. Do you know how competitive it is to get in?

10 minutes ago, Mack said:

You haven't heard from Waterloo yet?

No, I have not :( still waiting, but it looks like I am going to end up going to York so my spot will most likely open up IF I get in :D