Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

8 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Sorry to hear that andwewait. I know that can be crushing. Did you apply anywhere else? 

I actually got into the MSW Adv.1 year at Windsor , waiting to hear back from Ryerson. I am not that sad because I did get into my MSW, just that school was my frist choice. Windsor second Ryerson 3

6 minutes ago, andwewait said:

I actually got into the MSW Adv.1 year at Windsor , waiting to hear back from Ryerson. I am not that sad because I did get into my MSW, just that school was my frist choice. Windsor second Ryerson 3

Congrats on getting accepted to Windsor! I didn't apply to Laurier, but from what I understand, they turn away a lot of qualified people and it's a highly competitive program. I read on this thread, and the ones from last year, that most people have to apply multiple times. My bf's mom has her MSW from Laurier and she tried three times before getting off the wait list for Laurier. But I hear you on it being your first choice. Take some time today to do something special for yourself and don't let this take away from your accomplishment of getting accepted at Windsor. :)

Edited by phd2msw

I know that the first wave of acceptances went out at University of Toronto. Does anyone know when the next wave will go out. I feel like I've been waiting forever, and am starting to get discouraged. If I don't get in, will I get a rejection soon? 

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

I know that the first wave of acceptances went out at University of Toronto. Does anyone know when the next wave will go out. I feel like I've been waiting forever, and am starting to get discouraged. If I don't get in, will I get a rejection soon? 

The 2nd wave will go out either next Monday or Tuesday, and the 3rd wave will go out the following week according to the last year's forum. So, we should find out within 2 weeks max.!

Someone said that some people received rejection letters via mail the same time that the 1st wave of acceptance letters went out last year. Let's not lose our hope just yet! :)

13 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Congrats on getting accepted to Windsor! I didn't apply to Laurier, but from what I understand, they turn away a lot of qualified people and it's a highly competitive program. I read on this thread, and the ones from last year, that most people have to apply multiple times. My bf's mom has her MSW from Laurier and she tried three times before getting off the wait list for Laurier. But I hear you on it being your first choice. Take some time today to do something special for yourself and don't let this take away from your accomplishment of getting accepted at Windsor. :)

you are so sweet! thank you for your kind words :). I am not feeling to bad about it because I have been preparing for the big move to Windsor because it starts in May. Thank you and good luck with everything 

13 minutes ago, Squishy said:

The 2nd wave will go out either next Monday or Tuesday, and the 3rd wave will go out the following week according to the last year's forum. So, we should find out within 2 weeks max.!

Someone said that some people received rejection letters via mail the same time that the 1st wave of acceptance letters went out last year. Let's not lose our hope just yet! :)

Do you know if this is strictly for the Advanced Standing program? The 2 yr program applicants should hear back next month? People on here say that they always send out 2yr acceptances after the Advance Standing people. Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, andwewait said:

you are so sweet! thank you for your kind words :). I am not feeling to bad about it because I have been preparing for the big move to Windsor because it starts in May. Thank you and good luck with everything 

Oh wow, that's soon! Good luck with your move! 

18 minutes ago, andwewait said:

Hi andwewait,

I am sorry to hear about Laurier, but it is amazing that you are about to start a wonderful new adventure in windsor!! YOU ARE GOING TO BE A SOCIAL WORKER! Be proud of yourself

8 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Do you know if this is strictly for the Advanced Standing program? The 2 yr program applicants should hear back next month? People on here say that they always send out 2yr acceptances after the Advance Standing people. Thanks. 

Yes, this is for the Advanced Standing program. The 2 year applicants started hearing back in mid-March :) Good luck!

Edited by Squishy

2 hours ago, andwewait said:

Hey, did you find this out by email or on the site ? And if on the site where?

She texted me to say that she received an e-mail. When I was rejected last year (boo!) the online status was updated before the letter went out. 

2 hours ago, andwewait said:

Never mine..my application was unsuccessful :(

I'm so sorry to hear that :(. I was right there with you last year, and while everyone was running around with their acceptances, I was waiting for that final letter in the mail to tell me that I didn't make it. You've done a smart thing by applying to other schools though, and you may have a better experience at one of the other schools instead. 

19 hours ago, Dani4 said:

Hi there!
Does anyone happen to know the tuition cost for Lakehead's HBSW program? I can't seem to find any info on their website :/

Thanks!

Just graduated, and its 12,000 (because its 4 semesters - its two years in one)

3 hours ago, andwewait said:

Never mine..my application was unsuccessful :(

I'm sorry to hear about that, but be happy!!!!! Excited for you to get into Windsor! Goodluck on the move! :)

Hopefully I will be joining you as well! Hope we can hear back with the next wave soon! 

56 minutes ago, xonive said:

I'm sorry to hear about that, but be happy!!!!! Excited for you to get into Windsor! Goodluck on the move! :)

Hopefully I will be joining you as well! Hope we can hear back with the next wave soon! 

Thank you :) and yes I hope so too ! Im excited to meet everyone 

1 hour ago, LP3 said:

I'm so sorry to hear that :(. I was right there with you last year, and while everyone was running around with their acceptances, I was waiting for that final letter in the mail to tell me that I didn't make it. You've done a smart thing by applying to other schools though, and you may have a better experience at one of the other schools instead. 

thank you :)  and yeah i am so happy I applied to other schools ! Good Luck to you too

2 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hi andwewait,

I am sorry to hear about Laurier, but it is amazing that you are about to start a wonderful new adventure in windsor!! YOU ARE GOING TO BE A SOCIAL WORKER! Be proud of yourself

Thank you so much :) ... I am happy I don't have to take a year off .. good luck xo

Hello, 

I've been following this thread since I finished applying but haven't posted yet. I've applied to Carleton (2 year), Laurier (2 year), and McGill (2 year). I've been accepted to Carleton, my second choice, so now I'm really just waiting to hear from McGill, my first choice. Though I am a bit doubtful since it's super competitive and I'm missing out on not being fully bilingual. So maybe I'll be seeing some of you in Ottawa :)

Anyone else here apply to McGill? Or have experience with their program? It seems like most people here are applying within in Ontario or to Calgary. 

Good luck everyone and congrats to everyone who has already been accepted! 

2 hours ago, smoresun said:

Hello, 

I've been following this thread since I finished applying but haven't posted yet. I've applied to Carleton (2 year), Laurier (2 year), and McGill (2 year). I've been accepted to Carleton, my second choice, so now I'm really just waiting to hear from McGill, my first choice. Though I am a bit doubtful since it's super competitive and I'm missing out on not being fully bilingual. So maybe I'll be seeing some of you in Ottawa :)

Anyone else here apply to McGill? Or have experience with their program? It seems like most people here are applying within in Ontario or to Calgary. 

Good luck everyone and congrats to everyone who has already been accepted! 

I applied to McGill! Don't think we'll be hearing back until March though (at the earliest). Are you in Montreal?

1 hour ago, scipio said:

I applied to McGill! Don't think we'll be hearing back until March though (at the earliest). Are you in Montreal?

Yup! I'm hoping to be able to stay put next year. You? 

March doesn't sound too bad.. that's sooner than I thought!

I'm an international student.

I applied for MA in Economics Co-op program in Waterloo and MA in Economics Development in McMaster. I dont know the competitive ratio and when they intend to announce the result.

Do anyone have some information?

Thanks so much!

11 hours ago, Alexdao said:

I'm an international student.

I applied for MA in Economics Co-op program in Waterloo and MA in Economics Development in McMaster. I dont know the competitive ratio and when they intend to announce the result.

Do anyone have some information?

Thanks so much!

Hi Alexdao,

This is a forum for 2016 Masters of Social Work! Hope you find the correct forum.
Best of luck.

I've been noticing on this forum that most people didn't apply to MSW at York U, is there a reason for that?

I just saw a rejection status from the program myself last week. It's actually my top choice for MSW because of its anti-oppressive framework.

I called York but they said they do not offer advice to improve your application. Is it worth re-applying? 

Anyone with previous York MSW program, please share!

Thank you,

Emily