Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

19 hours ago, MSW16 said:

I feel your pain! I have so many things that I need to figure out (ie. living situation, employment) but I can't really make any progress in figuring anything out until I know what will be happening with grad school. My anxiety about all of this is driving me to the brink of a panic attack whenever I spend too much time thinking about it. But the problem is that no matter how hard I try to distract myself I always end up with my thoughts leading back to grad school. The idea of potentially having to wait another year and apply again makes me want to hibernate...

March 11th is so close but so painfully far away...I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessively checking my statuses online!

Things were kinda like this for me when I was waiting to hear about my MA a few years ago. It sucked. I feel like I'm reliving that again and the anxiety is back, like you said, you think about it constantly and just ruminate about whether or not you'll get in. Waiting another year is almost not an option for me. I kind of feel like I need to get in this year; it was so stressful to just change careers like this, it was a big move, and waiting another year might make me question why I did this in the first place. I feel like everyone is rooting for me (former PhD supervisors, family, friends) but if I don't get in I have to answer to so many people, the worst of all is myself ;) Trying to stay positive but it's hard. I'm not sure how old most of you are, but I'm almost 30 and I want to start a family eventually, this is putting things off even longer now (another 2 years for an MSW and then find a permanent job) and I feel like my future goals are just out of my hands. 

28 minutes ago, 2016.msw said:

Hi Everyone,

For those who are applying to the Two Year MSW at UofC a first round of admissions went out the second week of February. I heard that all the decisions have been made this week and we will all be hearing what will happen next couple of weeks. For emilym123 and kjackson what program are you stream did you apply to? And what is your experience going into the MSW? I've heard that UofC is very competitive. Anxious to see what happens!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and congrats to those who are already accepted to a program! 

Hey! 
My roommate found out he was accepted the second week of February, but it was for the 1 year program (He has a BSW, and I don't). I applied for the Clinical stream 2 year program. What about you? This is my first year applying, I also have heard it is very competitive! 

53 minutes ago, 2016.msw said:

Hi Everyone,

For those who are applying to the Two Year MSW at UofC a first round of admissions went out the second week of February. I heard that all the decisions have been made this week and we will all be hearing what will happen next couple of weeks. For emilym123 and kjackson what program are you stream did you apply to? And what is your experience going into the MSW? I've heard that UofC is very competitive. Anxious to see what happens!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and congrats to those who are already accepted to a program! 

Hi,

I applied to the clinical stream at U of Calgary. I graduated last May so I've been doing a lot of volunteering on the extended care unit of the hospital with the recreational therapist and I've also been volunteering at a family resource center that has a bunch of different programs for various needs, such as families with financial needs or mental health issues. I've also volunteered at my universities women's center and I've been doing teaching assistant work and research assistant work and took a couple extra classes first semester to increase my GPA.

What about yourself? 

Anyone else here applying to a part-time MSW? Specifically Laurier? I haven't heard much around the part-time stream and would love to connect with other part-timers!:)

1 hour ago, smoresun said:

You were right! I just got my email, we are going to be classmates :) 

Yes congratulations! We get to stay in Montreal! 

Hey guys,

I am super interested in researching and developing art based programs that work to build self-esteem and aim to provide therapeutic relief among marginalized populations. I am specifically interested in helping individuals with severe mental illness. I was just wondering if anyone knows of schools in Canada that have an interest in alternative therapies like art? Thus far I am having a hard time finding professors who share my interests.

27 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey guys,

I am super interested in researching and developing art based programs that work to build self-esteem and aim to provide therapeutic relief among marginalized populations. I am specifically interested in helping individuals with severe mental illness. I was just wondering if anyone knows of schools in Canada that have an interest in alternative therapies like art? Thus far I am having a hard time finding professors who share my interests.

check out the Art Therapy program at Concordia. That's the only one I know of.
http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/creative-arts-therapies/programs/art-therapy-ma.html

1 hour ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey guys,

I'm doing my practicum placement at a large children's mental health organization that does a lot of Art Therapy. We take a lot of students from TATI (Toronto Art Therapy Institute), which is apparently amazing!

On February 4, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Squishy said:

Congratulations, WaitingWaiting4!! :)

Congrats WaitingWaiting4, looks like we might be classmates, although I'm waiting to hear from MUN as well!  I received the official letter from Dal today, claiming I have to confirm before March 15th.  But I'm not sure Memorial will have made their decisions by then, as I saw in another thread it could be the end of the month.  Did you receive this same notice too?

Just my 2 cents on funding for UofT...I'm currently a student in their 2 year MSW program. Upfront UofT does not offer funding, however there is a Policy on Student Financial Support. Many students are reliant on OSAP and when OSAP is filled out it gets reported to UofT and then they calculate if there is any additional need through which a bursary called UTAPS is used. If you qualify for the full amount of OSAP you get about half of the tuition costs through UTAPS (this year around $5700 was given). FIFSW also has a scholarship process that you apply for in October, find out if you get funding in December and the money is dispersed in January. These are a mix of merit-based and needs-based awards. I believe the faculty does their best to give everyone who applied something.

With all that being said, there is a lot of money UofT is providing, it just doesn't seem like it because it's not offered upon acceptance into the program.

Below is the link to the Financial Policy if anyone is interested!

http://www.governingcouncil.utoronto.ca/Assets/Governing+Council+Digital+Assets/Policies/PDF/ppapr301998.pdf

40 minutes ago, UofT2015 said:

Just my 2 cents on funding for UofT...I'm currently a student in their 2 year MSW program. Upfront UofT does not offer funding, however there is a Policy on Student Financial Support. Many students are reliant on OSAP and when OSAP is filled out it gets reported to UofT and then they calculate if there is any additional need through which a bursary called UTAPS is used. If you qualify for the full amount of OSAP you get about half of the tuition costs through UTAPS (this year around $5700 was given). FIFSW also has a scholarship process that you apply for in October, find out if you get funding in December and the money is dispersed in January. These are a mix of merit-based and needs-based awards. I believe the faculty does their best to give everyone who applied something.

With all that being said, there is a lot of money UofT is providing, it just doesn't seem like it because it's not offered upon acceptance into the program.

Below is the link to the Financial Policy if anyone is interested!

http://www.governingcouncil.utoronto.ca/Assets/Governing+Council+Digital+Assets/Policies/PDF/ppapr301998.pdf

I'm in the 2 year too, and second this! After an entrance scholarship that I was automatically considered for and UTAPS, my first year of tuition cost a little under $1500 :) 

13 hours ago, CJM101 said:

Congrats WaitingWaiting4, looks like we might be classmates, although I'm waiting to hear from MUN as well!  I received the official letter from Dal today, claiming I have to confirm before March 15th.  But I'm not sure Memorial will have made their decisions by then, as I saw in another thread it could be the end of the month.  Did you receive this same notice too?

Hey CJM101, Congrats to you too! Yes, I also received my official letter earlier this week. Although I am still waiting on MUN, I will pay the deposit for Dal to hold my spot if I don't hear anything by the 15th, as it's my first choice. I am still on the fence though if I get into both. How about you? Where did you do your BSW?

32 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Has anyone heard from waterloo :( I was hoping we would hear this week!!

Nothing! ?

I was hoping to hear this week too. 

1 hour ago, CB_MSW said:

Nothing! ?

I was hoping to hear this week too.

Me neither!!  I'm also disappointed not to have heard this week.. More waiting :(

1 hour ago, 2016MSW said:

I received a phone call from Ryerson about an hour ago.

What did they say? Did you get in!? Has anyone else got a call? My RAMMS still says no offers to confirm or reject at this time :( Can you tell I'm anxiously waiting lol.

Edited by amcguirk

35 minutes ago, amcguirk said:

What did they say? Did you get in!? Has anyone else got a call? My RAMMS still says no offers to confirm or reject at this time :( Can you tell I'm anxiously waiting lol.

I emailed Ryerson yesterday. When I called and spoke to Milene, she told me to email the director as I only have a few days to accept York's offer. The director, Jennifer Poole, emailed me back and let me know the committee decided on rolling acceptances this year. That means they called 15 people yesterday/today and are giving them time to reply, then they are going to call the next 15 in 10 days so this way they know how much funding to offer each successful applicant. They don't want to send everything out at once so this way they can give a concrete funding offer right away. That means if you didn't get a phone call, you still might make the cut, there are 40 spots so 15 doesn't cover all of them. 

2 hours ago, 2016MSW said:

I received a phone call from Ryerson about an hour ago.

That's awesome!! That must mean you were accepted, congratulations!!!! :D My classmate is currently in the program and she LOVES it!!