Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

Has anyone received invitations for interviews from Columbia (NAR), Princeton (RitA), Brown (RCT), and/or Boston U(R&S)? I didn't see anyone mention these on this thread, and I cannot really tell from last year's thread whether or not I should have received an interview invitation by now (if I'm still in the running). Thanks!

2 hours ago, RW1823 said:

Hm, not sure if it was generic or not. It was a scan of the official letter I'll supposedly receive on paper this week. But the e-mail was addressed to me personally. I really don't know what's common or not, I'm afraid.

Thanks, I've got an official mail with nicely saying rejection for me. They mentioned 6 spots(offered)/ out of 45 int' applications throughout the dept. good luck to your school choice!

Edited by Esei_John

7 minutes ago, Esei_John said:

Thanks, I've got an official mail with nicely saying rejection for me. They mentioned 6 spots(offered)/ out of 45 int' applications throughout the dept. good luck to your school choice!

Was that an email or a postal mail

17 hours ago, Tha-Boy said:

Sorry I'm coming out of nowhere! (I even made the fancy, color-coded signature!). Anyway, that was me. I got an email Feb. 3rd saying I was on the short list for admission: "The question now is not your eligibility, but whether we can offer you an appropriate financial aid package. As our budget for next year will not be finalized for a few more weeks, I must ask your indulgence to be patient with us for a while longer until we get a clearer picture of what we can offer." It was a great email to receive, but I'm still walking around like a deer in headlights; I have no idea how to interpret it or what to say

You might want to take this with a grain of salt, but when I was admitted to my program (2012), the DGS called to give me the good news but also said that the offer was not official yet since the graduate school had to finalize its budget for newly admitted grad students (or something like that). When I got off the phone with her, I had a mild stroke thinking that there was a possibility the offer could be rescinded because of lack of funding or something. I started emailing friends who were already in programs asking them to decipher what she said for me. In the end, her saying that was just a formality I think--meaning that the "official" offer was the actual letter I received from the dean of The Graduate School, not her phone call to me. So it could be a similar situation here. 

12 hours ago, Esei_John said:

Ah that is too bad! Take care!

19 hours ago, marXian said:

You might want to take this with a grain of salt, but when I was admitted to my program (2012), the DGS called to give me the good news but also said that the offer was not official yet since the graduate school had to finalize its budget for newly admitted grad students (or something like that). When I got off the phone with her, I had a mild stroke thinking that there was a possibility the offer could be rescinded because of lack of funding or something. I started emailing friends who were already in programs asking them to decipher what she said for me. In the end, her saying that was just a formality I think--meaning that the "official" offer was the actual letter I received from the dean of The Graduate School, not her phone call to me. So it could be a similar situation here. 

Thanks for helping me clarify the situation. I'm trying not to be too optimistic here hah. The email said I survived "the first cut" and I'm on the "short list" for admission. It sounds like I am still not "in" with that language, but they're also saying I'm eligible, etc. Anyway, what type of language did they use with you?

On 1/21/2016 at 3:15 PM, JN527 said:

Baylor's waitlist went out.  Did anyone receive rejections, particularly in the theology subfield?

I got mine on Jan 21st as well. I saw on the results that some people got a notification in the first few days of Feb. Wonder what that could mean...

3 minutes ago, randallmorgan said:

I got mine on Jan 21st as well. I saw on the results that some people got a notification in the first few days of Feb. Wonder what that could mean...

For whatever it's worth, interview weekend was last weekend. They brought 4 per subfield and will take 2 and we were told we would be notified of acceptances/waitlists/rejections in the next 7-10 days. If someone is given an offer they have until April 15 to accept it or turn it down, at which point they'll start extending interviews and acceptances to those on the waitlist. Hope this helps.

Just now, tdwightdavis said:

For whatever it's worth, interview weekend was last weekend. They brought 4 per subfield and will take 2 and we were told we would be notified of acceptances/waitlists/rejections in the next 7-10 days. If someone is given an offer they have until April 15 to accept it or turn it down, at which point they'll start extending interviews and acceptances to those on the waitlist. Hope this helps.

I figured as much. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, randallmorgan said:

I figured as much. Thanks.

Also, I'm not sure about other subfields (or which you're applying to), but the theology subfield has taken students off of the waitlist the past couple of years. Obviously that's going to be different every year and, like everything else in the PhD application process, is dependent on a number of variables. But they do actually take people off the waitlist.

1 minute ago, tdwightdavis said:

Also, I'm not sure about other subfields (or which you're applying to), but the theology subfield has taken students off of the waitlist the past couple of years. Obviously that's going to be different every year and, like everything else in the PhD application process, is dependent on a number of variables. But they do actually take people off the waitlist.

Yeah. I know a few people that in the program and that's what I've been told. I applied to the Historical Studies/Church History subfield.

4 hours ago, randallmorgan said:

Yeah. I know a few people that in the program and that's what I've been told. I applied to the Historical Studies/Church History subfield.

You should do some spelunking to find out how big the waitlists are.  I can't pay you, so .... oh well.

16 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Got my acceptance e-mail from Baylor this afternoon! Beyond thrilled about this!

Good luck to everyone else!

I wish I knew if theology was sending today. I feel like I didn't get in since NT and OT sent theirs.

9 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

I wish I knew if theology was sending today. I feel like I didn't get in since NT and OT sent theirs.

The waitlists for OT and CH went out two weeks before the one for theology did, so it could be that they're taking longer to get back to you.