HGSE 2016

aina7

1 hour ago, joy27 said:

So our masters' results will be released on the first week of March? Will they like call to notify you or via email or via the portal. are you aware? 

Unless it's changed, it'll be an email directing you to the website.

11 hours ago, joy27 said:

So our masters' results will be released on the first week of March? Will they like call to notify you or via email or via the portal. are you aware? 

I'm predicting/hoping for Friday March 4, because the last three years it came out the first Friday in March.  It's never happened to be that early in March, but still....

On 2/19/2016 at 5:41 PM, Heather1011 said:

I'm predicting/hoping for Friday March 4, because the last three years it came out the first Friday in March.  It's never happened to be that early in March, but still....

2015 - Around March 6th or 7th (not sure)

The following is from an applicant who had checked by going into previous posts:

2014 - Friday March 7 - 6:30pm

2013 - Friday March 8 - 5:30pm

2012 - Tuesday March 6 - 6:30pm

2011 - Tuesday March 8 - 4:30pm

2010 - Tuesday March 9 - 5:30 pm

On 2/21/2016 at 9:22 PM, HBDXB said:

2015 - Around March 6th or 7th (not sure)

The following is from an applicant who had checked by going into previous posts:

2014 - Friday March 7 - 6:30pm

2013 - Friday March 8 - 5:30pm

2012 - Tuesday March 6 - 6:30pm

2011 - Tuesday March 8 - 4:30pm

2010 - Tuesday March 9 - 5:30 pm

I had to call HGSE this morning for some financial aid stuff and, because I had them on the phone anyway, i asked when they would release decisions, and they said by the end of march, but possibly earlier. Hopefully it aligns with what you said rather than the end of march. not sure I can handle that long of a wait.

4 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

I had to call HGSE this morning for some financial aid stuff and, because I had them on the phone anyway, i asked when they would release decisions, and they said by the end of march, but possibly earlier. Hopefully it aligns with what you said rather than the end of march. not sure I can handle that long of a wait.

They say that every year (last year they didn't even add the "but possibly earlier" part), but as HBDXB pointed out, for the past 6 years they have always sent decisions out between March 6th and 9th. Last year, the emails went out on Friday, March 6th at 4.20pm ET. Just a heads up: you will get an email telling you to check the application page so make sure you know your password!

23 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

Anyone else oscillating between the hubris of assuming acceptance and the disappointment of assuming rejection?  Only ~2 more weeks!

I've literally gone between "NO WAY IN HELL" to already planning my move to Boston :lol: 

6 minutes ago, dear_valentine07 said:

Does that mean you're considering HGSE to be your first choice :)

No, it's tied or a little behind Penn for me right now, but we will see in time :) I'm just letting my mind go in every different direction!

3 hours ago, graciasadios said:

Anyone else oscillating between the hubris of assuming acceptance and the disappointment of assuming rejection?  Only ~2 more weeks!

This is the story of my life several times a day. Glad to see/hear I'm not the only one in this boat.

5 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Do we get financial aid decisions simultaneously with our possible acceptances, or would that come a few weeks later?  The dragging out process is so cruel!

I believe I got financial aid information a little after my acceptance, but I don't believe it was a terribly long wait.

As to the financial aid question, last night I spent sometime reading the last few pages of the HGSE Applicants 2015 forum to see what people posted. There seemed to be about a two to three week wait between when people were accepted and heard about scholarships. It was actually pretty depressing to read people going from super happy to very pissed at only getting $14K in grants (the case for the vast majority of posters).

As to the comments about fluctuating between extreme confidence and lack there, I'm exactly on the same boat. The fact that I got into Vandy's MPP program makes me confident for EPM, but occasionally think about all of the awesome people that I know who attend HGSE and feel really inadequate. I think I fluctuate so much because even though I absolutely love Vandy's program and people, HGSE is still my first choice since it is a one year program. Since I intend to pursue a JD as well, I'd rather minimize my amount of time in school and therefore debt. I know Vandy has the joint MPP/JD program which would allow me to complete both degrees in 4 years, but my research suggests it's much harder to find a job when you do joint program as opposed to two independent programs.

7 hours ago, KaySsaem said:

As to the financial aid question, last night I spent sometime reading the last few pages of the HGSE Applicants 2015 forum to see what people posted. There seemed to be about a two to three week wait between when people were accepted and heard about scholarships. It was actually pretty depressing to read people going from super happy to very pissed at only getting $14K in grants (the case for the vast majority of posters).

As to the comments about fluctuating between extreme confidence and lack there, I'm exactly on the same boat. The fact that I got into Vandy's MPP program makes me confident for EPM, but occasionally think about all of the awesome people that I know who attend HGSE and feel really inadequate. I think I fluctuate so much because even though I absolutely love Vandy's program and people, HGSE is still my first choice since it is a one year program. Since I intend to pursue a JD as well, I'd rather minimize my amount of time in school and therefore debt. I know Vandy has the joint MPP/JD program which would allow me to complete both degrees in 4 years, but my research suggests it's much harder to find a job when you do joint program as opposed to two independent programs.

$14K sounds like the high end of grad school merit scholarships (I doubt many people ever get more than that), so I won't be surprised if I get that or less.  It's what you just have to expect from HGSE or any of these types of schools.  

I'm in the same boat in that the Penn and NYU acceptances have also made me more confident (perhaps wrongly) in my hopes for acceptance.  

I applied to the Harvard TIE masters. The wait is also killing me. I'm so OCD I've figured out all the logistics of the hypothetical move, job, and where I would live...but no acceptance yet :(

Obviously not the main reason I'm applying, but the move to Harvard would bring me within driving distance to my boyfriend, which would be a relief after all these years of long distance. So I'm anxious to say the least!

Edited by writegirl
spelling

36 minutes ago, writegirl said:

I applied to the Harvard TIE masters. The wait is also killing me. I'm so OCD I've figured out all the logistics of the hypothetical move, job, and where I would live...but no acceptance yet :(

Obviously not the main reason I'm applying, but the move to Harvard would bring me within driving distance to my boyfriend, which would be a relief after all these years of long distance. So I'm anxious to say the least!

The boyfriend situation is DEFINITELY an important one!

11 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

$14K sounds like the high end of grad school merit scholarships (I doubt many people ever get more than that), so I won't be surprised if I get that or less.  It's what you just have to expect from HGSE or any of these types of schools.  

I'm in the same boat in that the Penn and NYU acceptances have also made me more confident (perhaps wrongly) in my hopes for acceptance.  

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that $14K isn't generous, just that it was very strange to see so many people go from very excited to lamenting that they would likely have to reject the offer. 

5 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

The boyfriend situation is DEFINITELY an important one!

I agree. There is much more to life than work.

14 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that $14K isn't generous, just that it was very strange to see so many people go from very excited to lamenting that they would likely have to reject the offer. 

I agree. There is much more to life than work.

I didn't think you were the one thinking 14K wasn't generous, just that I also saw those types of reactions and I'm not sure what all those people were expecting!  Didn't they anticipate not being able to attend with the funding provided?  

I hope all of us, if accepted, have a way to make it work!

22 minutes ago, dear_valentine07 said:

Did anyone see that on the results page someone said that they had met someone who had already been rejected from EPM? Did anyone get their decisions yet???

I didn't see this, nor have I received a rejection yet (or any news for that matter). If someone gets news, please let us all know here!

I considered a 1% chance we'd hear back today :D  Realistically, a week from today.

I don't think they would ever actually wait until the end of March to notify, as they have said (barring some nightmare office processing complications).  They need to notify students very soon so they can have an open house at the end of the month and people can plan to attend that.  They couldn't do it all in the span of a week.

In looking at the results page, if what the person said is true:

• This is not for myself, but I met a TFA teacher today at a Graduate Visit Day who had recently been rejected. So no news is positive for the rest of us. Good luck to everyone!"

Then I would take that to be a good sign for EPM people that maybe they're sending out rejections first, followed by acceptances next week.  OR, it's just possible that TFA applicants have some kind of weird, special relationship with the process (or this person had a connection).  The VAST majority of current EPM students are TFA alums.

11 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

In looking at the results page, if what the person said is true:

• This is not for myself, but I met a TFA teacher today at a Graduate Visit Day who had recently been rejected. So no news is positive for the rest of us. Good luck to everyone!"

Then I would take that to be a good sign for EPM people that maybe they're sending out rejections first, followed by acceptances next week.  OR, it's just possible that TFA applicants have some kind of weird, special relationship with the process (or this person had a connection).  The VAST majority of current EPM students are TFA alums.

I'm a TFA alum so I'm not sure if that's why...I'm kind of wondering if this TFA person applied to Ed Policy PhD (does that exist?) and that's what this poster meant. That would make more sense because PhD decisions have already been rolled out. Or maybe they're a current TFA corps member, they usually do have interesting relationships with schools.