WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Oh I've never been out west at all. So no In 'n Out before! I will definitely have to try it! 

Definitely do try it. It might sway your admissions decision in favor of U.C. Davis. :P 

I second the Philz mention. If you like mint, they have a really popular mint mojito iced coffee. If you're more of a plain coffee type of person, the ecstatic iced coffee (blend of like 6 iced coffee varieties) is great. If all else fails you can go with any of the blends brewed hot.

Congrats on your acceptances.

Man... it just hit me that there's a 95% chance I'll be moving out of state in the next few months for grad school. I've never lived more than an hour away from home (except for a summer in Boulder... and then I couldn't wait to go back home at the end) so the thought really scares me. My parents come visit every weekend and I sometimes drive home for dinner (~45 minutes away) and I realized I won't be able to do that anymore. I'll be moving to a town where I know no one... 

I know some of you are even moving to different countries - mad respect.

@gingin6789 and @artsy16 CONGRATULATIONS! I woke up to reading that and I now have the biggest smile on my face for the both of you :D 

would you guys stop talking about californian food? Good god I miss it. Although I miss New York pizza too... and all the amazing foods and candy you have!!!  

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Man... it just hit me that there's a 95% chance I'll be moving out of state in the next few months for grad school. I've never lived more than an hour away from home (except for a summer in Boulder... and then I couldn't wait to go back home at the end) so the thought really scares me. My parents come visit every weekend and I sometimes drive home for dinner (~45 minutes away) and I realized I won't be able to do that anymore. I'll be moving to a town where I know no one... 

This is so cool that you have a relationship with your family that means this is a worry for you! I'm an awkward international student :P all my mates are scattered around the world, boyfriend in the US so moving to grad school means I'll be closer to him. Plus I only see my dad like 3 times a year as is and he's 45 minute away. I reckon moving to the US means I'll see him more as he has a cool place to come vacation. I actually couldn't think of anything worse than staying in the UK for the next 4-5 years for grad school!!! 

Also, moving where you know no one...that's so much of an adventure! You get to listen to their stories and best places to eat and explore a whole new world (even if it is just a new town). Everytime I go somewhere new, be it the next town over or  a new country, I try to look at it with the same awe and wonder as a little kid going on holiday for the first time. It's awesome, you get to meet amazing people you never would have met before, experience something different and be able to tell all your friends about the craziness you get up to. Admittedly in grad school the craziness will probably be limited to "I found an awesome new coffee place" or "I didn't cry because of work load today" but still! Everything is an adventure, we just have to embrace it! 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

It'll be a great experience - trust me. I went to undergrad about 3 and half hours from home, did my Master's across the country and spent a good portion all the rest of my free time travelling. You get to taste so many amazing types of food, fall in love with a new city, learn the roads and quiet coffee shops, and make friends who will drag you their apartments and hometowns. It'll be three months later in the blink of an eye, and before you know it you'll be giving directions to someone new to the area or driving a route to your favorite park that you know like the back of your hand. It's really awe inspiring.

I couldn't imagine being in one area for too long- I would miss out on so many German restaurants and bakeries!

42 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Man @gingin6789 they should call you butter, because you're on a roll :P

I'm sat here laughing my ass off at this! I just made my friend (who's not doing application season this time round, she's got this next year) read it all and we agree this phrase is hysterical. Thanks Fuzzy!!

Can I rant something not gradschool app. related here? I am going crazyyy!!! I have the worst client in the world right now. I want to drop her already. We aren't seeing eye to eye on the project and she's trying to control me too much when the fact is she hired me because she specifically wants me to be the designer for the project but now she's always interfering about everything and acting like she knows how to do my job and she won't give me my freedom to work because she always has something to complain about. ugh!! :/

Still no news on the gradschool front for me though so that's another frustration. but congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!! :)

Edited by raaawr

1 minute ago, raaawr said:

Still no news on the gradschool front for me though so that's another frustration. but congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!! :)

Keep your chin up :) Also I would drop that client like a sack of potatoes (just kidding. I actually love potatoes).

2 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Can I rant something not gradschool app. related here? I am going crazyyy!!! I have the worst client in the world right now. I want to drop her already. We aren't seeing eye to eye on the project and she's trying to control me too much when the fact is she hired me because she specifically wants me to be the designer for the project but now she's always interfering about everything and acting like she knows how to do my job and she won't give me my freedom to work because she always has something to complain about. ugh!! :/

I understand your frustration 100%.

I worked as a graphic designer for a while. Backseat input is definitely annoying. :( 

I did get an email that had "wait list" in the title, but it was just to inform me that the class I was hoping to take this semester (which I was wait listed) wasn't going to happen. Slightly nerve wracking. Slightly comforting. 

You know, waiting for results is more boring than anything. I want to know where I stand so I can plan for the future.

3 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Keep your chin up :) Also I would drop that client like a sack of potatoes (just kidding. I actually love potatoes).

lol! I am close to dropping her like a lump of hot coal. I don't know what's up with her lately and she's really difficult to get a hold off. She's messaging me using 2 facebook accounts and 1 viber, and she would answer my facebook message on viber, and ignore my viber messages, and and answer my other facebook message on her other facebook account. so annoying! -_-"

Edited by raaawr

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

I understand your frustration 100%.

I worked as a graphic designer for a while. Backseat input is definitely annoying. :( 

I did get an email that had "wait list" in the title, but it was just to inform me that the class I was hoping to take this semester (which I was wait listed) wasn't going to happen. Slightly nerve wracking. Slightly comforting. 

You know, waiting for results is more boring than anything. I want to know where I stand so I can plan for the future.

I know exactly what you mean regarding knowing the results and planning for the future. I have only 1 school in my belt so if I mess up it's over for me, at least until the next application period. lol! I really should've applied to more than 1 school but no other program interests me. Most of the fashion MFA in other schools are focused on either just design or just business. I want both, like an interdisciplinary fashion MFA thing and this is the only one that has it so far.

And yes! Those clients that think they know better than us designers, sometimes I just want to throw my sewing machine at them and tell them if they think they know better than me then why don't they do it themselves. lol.

21 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny 2 people this week. 2. And I don't know who they are. They could be grad school people... they could be trolls... they could be agents of the dark lord...Now I'll never know. 

That would be a cruel thing for a troll to do. Just randomly visit the LinkedIn/academia.edu profiles of prospective grad students in late January :P

12 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

This has been totally freaking me out. But mostly in a good way, I think. Weird things that cause vague existential crisis are like when my Starbucks barista gives me free coffee when I'm stressed (which is like basically 2-3 times a week) and I realize that I'll have to make friends with a new barista if I move. Or worse. WHAT IF MY NEW SCHOOL DOESN'T HAVE A LOCAL STARBUCKS?!?!?!?! . . . I don't think I applied anywhere without one, but how would I survive? 

30 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

Just got an email from my alumni association: "Are you ready to make your next career move?"

Why, yes. I'm just waiting on others, first, before it can happen.

ha! I get SPAM emails saying, "It's not too late to go to graduate school!" Me: "Duh, but it's not up to me to decide now."