Where will you be going this Fall?

johnnycomelately

7 hours ago, archersline said:

Committed to the University of Oklahoma yesterday morning! So glad to have this process over with...

Congrats! :) Maybe we'll run into each other at same point. Different programs, but I imagine we'll be in similar circles.

Going to the University of Chicago, but through their MAPSS program. They gave me a decent scholarship. Also, a POI, who I was not in contact with, sent me an email out of the blue saying that she was interested in my application and wanted to work with me. Pretty excited about that!

On 4/23/2016 at 12:53 AM, Meghanlodon said:

Western Washington! My situation is a little different, as my program is technically an Archives and Record Management program, but it's a certification on top of a MA in History and I will be taking History courses. 

That's awesome, congrats!! :)

My program is offering a class on archival theory in the fall and I've been considering taking it. It sounds really interesting! I'm so indecisive about what my final course for the semester should be though.

39 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

That's awesome, congrats!! :)

My program is offering a class on archival theory in the fall and I've been considering taking it. It sounds really interesting! I'm so indecisive about what my final course for the semester should be though.

It really does, deciding what needs to be saved vs what gets lost to history. Plus you can technically make a living out of going through dead peoples' mail lol

I was a little wary at first since it's not technically a 'library science' program (which was the general type of program I was applying to) but after reading  MLIS grads/students lamenting the shrinking field/general bad experiences, I think made the right choice. Plus, I'm more interested in reading about history anyways, being able to student both seems pretty cool.

On April 19, 2016 at 7:35 PM, JR said:

Going to the University of Chicago, but through their MAPSS program. They gave me a decent scholarship. Also, a POI, who I was not in contact with, sent me an email out of the blue saying that she was interested in my application and wanted to work with me. Pretty excited about that!

Congrats! Who are you planning on working with, what is your area of interest?

On April 9, 2016 at 0:14 AM, Danger_Zone said:

Attending Purdue! Just made my official acceptance today. :)

I did my undergrad at Purdue in history! You'll love it! We have wonderful professors in the department. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about campus!

17 hours ago, Meghanlodon said:

It really does, deciding what needs to be saved vs what gets lost to history. Plus you can technically make a living out of going through dead peoples' mail lol

I was a little wary at first since it's not technically a 'library science' program (which was the general type of program I was applying to) but after reading  MLIS grads/students lamenting the shrinking field/general bad experiences, I think made the right choice. Plus, I'm more interested in reading about history anyways, being able to student both seems pretty cool.

I think you made a decent decision, and if you ever regret it, you can always pursue a LIS or IS degree later (two masters is looked upon quite fondly in the library world). 

Library science is slowly becoming a technical field, and I'm not sure I'd always recommend it to everyone if one's interests falls outside of that scope. Some jobs will want a degree from an ALA-accredited program (the MLIS is somewhat of a gate-keeping mechanism at this point), but this is slowly changing. More entry level positions are beginning to prefer it instead of requiring it. However, one program I would look into if I were you is the Rare Book School at UVA. They have archives training, and it's incredibly well-regarded in the library community in the US. Most of their programs only last a week or two, and you can work towards subject-oriented certificates, if my memory recalls properly. They have scholarships, too!

Now, I'm not sure about the field shrinking, but it's definitely changing. Librarianship as a whole is changing. If you're interested in archives, not library or information science specifically, I don't necessarily think your decision is a bad one. :) 

Edited by Neist

9 hours ago, HistoricScout said:

I did my undergrad at Purdue in history! You'll love it! We have wonderful professors in the department. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about campus!

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I loved the campus when I visited, it's beautiful! It's also absolutely huge, so I'm glad that I will be confined to a few buildings for my classes (I'm terrible at navigation.) I've heard really great things about the professors as well, and the ones I met were super nice. :)

On April 24, 2016 at 6:16 PM, johnnycomelately said:

Congrats! Who are you planning on working with, what is your area of interest?

Thanks! I'll be working with Ada Palmer, mostly covering Italian Renaissance cultural and political history. I see that you're also attending UChicago, what is your area of interest?

11 hours ago, JR said:

Thanks! I'll be working with Ada Palmer, mostly covering Italian Renaissance cultural and political history. I see that you're also attending UChicago, what is your area of interest?

I met her during the prospective students visit, she is very friendly and seems genuinely interested in helping students succeed.

My interests are in Medieval German-speaking regions, and I focus on identity formation, gender/sexuality. 

On 5/1/2016 at 8:43 PM, BlackBear50 said:

Me too! Whatcha study? 

Early North American social history!  My thesis was on the commutation of execution sentences for pregnant women convicted of witchcraft in 1692 Salem.  Owen Stanwood is my adviser.  What about you?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2016 at 1:23 PM, HayleyM said:

Early North American social history!  My thesis was on the commutation of execution sentences for pregnant women convicted of witchcraft in 1692 Salem.  Owen Stanwood is my adviser.  What about you?

Sweet! Similarly I am interested in the 17-18th centuries anglo-world and will be working with Owen Stanwood as well! I am more interested in a transatlantic look at the Irish during this era but am very much interested in colonial/revolutionary America as well. Cool :)

14 minutes ago, BlackBear50 said:

Sweet! Similarly I am interested in the 17-18th centuries anglo-world and will be working with Owen Stanwood as well! I am more interested in a transatlantic look at the Irish during this era but am very much interested in colonial/revolutionary America as well. Cool :)

I was just at campus two weeks ago, I guess you're the PhD student he mentioned was starting!  It's you, me, and two other PhD students!  Small group of us.

• 1 month later...
On May 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM, narple said:

Decided on UChicago MAPSS over Columbia/LSE World MA after I received an increased funding offer. 

Congrats! I'll also be attending UChicago for the MAPSS program. Just out of curiosity, did you argue for more funding or was your funding re-evaluated and calibrated accordingly?