Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

58 minutes ago, applyingtopsychgrad123 said:

Has anyone heard from Catholic University? I have looked at the results page and haven't found anything

My POI told me that all interview invitations were already extended. Best of luck!

25 minutes ago, PNIplz said:

Congrats to the person who got into UIUC! Can you PM me the initials for your POI? I would really appreciate it! :)

Yes, congrats! :) Would you be able to PM me as well if you're comfortable?

School Name: University of South Dakota
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/20/17
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical Psychology
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: Choice of 2/3 or 2/10 (I picked 2/3) 

School Name: Georgia Southern University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/20/17
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical Psychology
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 2/18

8 minutes ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Completed round 3 of my online interviews with the University of Michigan Ann  Arbor. It is my absolute top choice and seems like a brilliant school. Have been told that they will revert latest within 3 weeks. 

Also got an on campus interview at Penn State in Feb end. 

Hoping for Duke and UPenn as well. Any idea if all invites have gone out already for interviews to these places? Thanks :)

if you don't mind my asking, when did Penn State send you an interview?

13 minutes ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Completed round 3 of my online interviews with the University of Michigan Ann  Arbor. It is my absolute top choice and seems like a brilliant school. Have been told that they will revert latest within 3 weeks. 

Hoping for Duke and UPenn as well. Any idea if all invites have gone out already for interviews to these places? Thanks :)

Weirdly enough I've seen invites and rejections for Duke but my status hasn't changed which may mean waitlisted or my app got lost to the nebulous void. If you don't mind when did you hear from Penn state?

Edited: NVM saw your reply

Edited by 8BitJourney

24 minutes ago, ClinicalPSY said:

Congratulations! I have my first interview this Friday and am feeling rather anxious. Would be forever grateful if you'd tell us what your interview was like and what sort of questions were asked.

School Name: University of South Alabama
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/24/17
Type: Clinical-Counseling Psychology
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: March 2nd-3rd

I wasn't sure if I was going to get an interview with USA; however,  the call came today from my POI. Better a little delayed than never...

14 minutes ago, elisabeth1627 said:

Has anyone heard from either Washington State University's or Idaho State University's Clinical Psychology Ph.D. track?

I got a call from my POI at Washington State last Friday. Interviews are March 3.

I have a question for folks who received interview invitations. For the schools where you were invited to interview, did you list a single POI in your statement of purpose or more than one? And did you have previous contact (and to what degree) with that POI?

I applied to 12 schools and have only received one invite, from a PsyD program, which was sort of a "safety" or at least "safer". I think I am a strong applicant with 4 years of research experience post-BA, co-authored on 3 publications, some clinical volunteer work, passionate about mental health care and research, good GRE scores, GPA is a little low, but I would think the rest of my qualifications would more than make up for that. However, I did not contact any of my POIs before applying, and I'm wondering if this might be my fatal flaw.

Thanks for whatever helpful feedback you can offer! If I don't get in this time, I will try, try again! I know this is the path for me and I will make big contributions and impact people's lives. I know this is a stressful process and we can all get really caught up in the anxiety and absurd competitiveness of these programs, but let's not lose sight of the big picture here. I think we are all in this field because we want to help people and that is an incredible, inspiring thing. Thank all of you for your hard work and dedication!

11 minutes ago, Wildcat Way said:

School Name: University of South Alabama
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/24/17
Type: Clinical-Counseling Psychology
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: March 2nd-3rd

I wasn't sure if I was going to get an interview with USA; however,  the call came today from my POI. Better a little delayed than never...

Congrats!

6 minutes ago, ServeNStudy said:

I have a question for folks who received interview invitations. For the schools where you were invited to interview, did you list a single POI in your statement of purpose or more than one? And did you have previous contact (and to what degree) with that POI?

I applied to 12 schools and have only received one invite, from a PsyD program, which was sort of a "safety" or at least "safer". I think I am a strong applicant with 4 years of research experience post-BA, co-authored on 3 publications, some clinical volunteer work, passionate about mental health care and research, good GRE scores, GPA is a little low, but I would think the rest of my qualifications would more than make up for that. However, I did not contact any of my POIs before applying, and I'm wondering if this might be my fatal flaw.

Thanks for whatever helpful feedback you can offer! If I don't get in this time, I will try, try again! I know this is the path for me and I will make big contributions and impact people's lives. I know this is a stressful process and we can all get really caught up in the anxiety and absurd competitiveness of these programs, but let's not lose sight of the big picture here. I think we are all in this field because we want to help people and that is an incredible, inspiring thing. Thank all of you for your hard work and dedication!

I listed 2 POIs at each school - in order of preference. I also contacted the POI I was most interested in working with around August to ask whether they were taking students.

47 minutes ago, ServeNStudy said:

inI have a question for folks who received interview invitations. For the schools where you were invited to interview, did you list a single POI in your statement of purpose or more than one? And did you have previous contact (and to what degree) with that POI?

I only contacted one POI so I don't think that was the defining factor that helped my application. If there was only one matching POI I only listed 1 (didn't want to 'stretch' my interests and look unfocused or desparate) but if there was more than one then I listed as many as I wanted.

Without knowing all your stats (gre, gpa) and what schools you applied to its hard to say (also there are many factors out of your control that come into play) but your other experiences look great so that leads to the million dollar question. How strong was your fit with your POIs, your SOP, and LORs? For the interviews I did get those were the factors POIs definitely spoke about.

Edited by 8BitJourney

5 minutes ago, 802BernieBro said:

to build on @ServeNStudy Is it possible to get into PhD Psychology programs without having at least co-authored AND having made a connection with key faculty? I have neither. The givens are GRE scores and grades (don't have these either...) and some lengthy research at a reputable institution. 

I would say you need tangible research work in the field that you'll be applying to. This takes the form of things like working in a research lab, writing an honors thesis, poster or oral presentations at conferences, independent research projects, etc. Basically, you need to have something that will make the admissions committee believe that you are able to contribute to their program and project, and that usually takes the form of past success/experiences with similar projects. With that said, I am sure you can get an interview without having co-authored if you have other things that make up for it. However, I would say a connection with faculty is important assuming that they will be providing you a recommendation letter.

Edited by periwinkle27

49 minutes ago, ServeNStudy said:

I listed no more than 2 POIs. If I only felt I had a match with one, I only mentioned that one. I emailed almost all of my POIs to make sure that they were accepting students this cycle (with the exception of those who had this information posted on their website). I very clearly stated my research interests and then described why I was interested in the POI and how I felt our research interests matched up.

7 minutes ago, periwinkle27 said:

I listed no more than 2 POIs. If I only felt I had a match with one, I only mentioned that one. I emailed almost all of my POIs to make sure that they were accepting students this cycle (with the exception of those who had this information posted on their website). I very clearly stated my research interests and then described why I was interested in the POI and how I felt our research interests matched up.

I did this too. I only picked schools with faculty with a very close research match to mine who were taking students. I emailed all of my POIs in August. If the website said they were taking students, I asked another question. I also set up meetings with two POIs at national conferences before applications went in. 

57 minutes ago, Brittabot said:

I didn't contact a POI unless the program website didn't specify who was taking students. Is the your research experience similar to the research area you hope/applied to do? I think that can help a lot.

Hmmmm, not exactly. I have neuroimaging and neuropsych research experience in studies focused primarily on memory/aging and Alzheimer's. And I have a bit of independent research experience in trauma. I am interested in trauma or schizophrenia, (depending on the school and faculty areas) and expanding MH treatment in underserved communities.

If I don't get in anywhere I am thinking I will leave my research lab and look for a position in a psychiatric residential facility to get more clinical experience. (Though that will likely require a painful pay cut...) But maybe I should try to find a different research gig more in line with my areas of interest.

Super helpful responses from people. Thank you!

Edited by ServeNStudy