Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

29 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

Total nightmare that confirms I am going crazy

My friend Emily used to joke that women may be crazy, but only because men make them so. I think we could probably say the same about us and adcomms... 

They are taunting us. I am getting all these hints from this one school that I should get in, but I fear I am imposing my desires on what they write to me lol. Do any of you read Robbe-Grillet? The most frustratingly beautiful writer ever. The adcoms are basically like him.

Edited by frenchlover

1 hour ago, frenchlover said:

They are taunting us. I am getting all these hints from this one school that I should get in, but I fear I am imposing my desires on what they write to me lol. Do any of you read Robbe-Grillet? The most frustratingly beautiful writer ever. The adcoms are basically like him.

Share these hints and we will help analyze

1 hour ago, frenchlover said:

Same. I’m told from some that I will get in. Now I’m looking at apartments, then closing the tabs in anger, then going back... 

Well, a few days after I applied, one school insisted that I send them a copy of my diploma, certified by the registrar. I was like ??? I'm a senior. And then the DGS wrote to me saying that I should turn it in once I graduate. 

34 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Same. I’m told from some that I will get in. Now I’m looking at apartments, then closing the tabs in anger, then going back... 

I am doing the opposite and look for apartments in the city I'm in because I am convinced I'm not getting in anywhere and I want to move regardless of starting a phd.

32 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

I am doing the opposite and look for apartments in the city I'm in because I am convinced I'm not getting in anywhere and I want to move regardless of starting a phd.

I know it sounds cheesy and vapid, but I'm sure whatever happens will be for the best, even if you're sad and disappointed. Moving is exciting! That way you get to start something regardless!

Someone posted a result for a school that I applied to (Tennessee-Knoxville). It's finally getting real. My app status on the website still says "In Review- Program." I'm obsessing over it now. Has anyone else heard from UTK?  

3 hours ago, Wooshkuh said:

Someone posted a result for a school that I applied to (Tennessee-Knoxville). It's finally getting real. My app status on the website still says "In Review- Program." I'm obsessing over it now. Has anyone else heard from UTK?  

That's my app status as well. I think their deadline was Jan 15(?), so I imagine it may take them a little longer.

10 hours ago, Wooshkuh said:

From what I remember of previous cycles, Tennessee has a habit of sending out rejection letters before sending out acceptance letters. This makes sense because it allows people to not be waiting too long. As a result, I think their acceptances for the PHD program might come out this week. Waitlisted applicants might have to wait a bit more.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Warelin

7 hours ago, katie64 said:

That's my app status as well. I think their deadline was Jan 15(?), so I imagine it may take them a little longer.

I think that might be for MA. I’m pretty sure their PhD deadline is December 1 (someone correct me if I’m wrong). 

3 hours ago, mk-8 said:

I think that might be for MA. I’m pretty sure their PhD deadline is December 1 (someone correct me if I’m wrong). 

You're right -- there's someone else on this board who applied for the MA like I did, and I thought the above poster was him/her, but different person. Whoops!

6 hours ago, Warelin said:

From what I remember of previous cycles, Tennessee has a habit of sending out rejection letters before sending out acceptance letters. This makes sense because it allows people to not be waiting too long. As a result, I think their acceptances for the PHD program might come out this week. Waitlisted applicants might have to wait a bit more.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info! I guess it's "good" that I haven't heard anything yet. 

26 minutes ago, LeeLeeCzechIrish said:

Question for you all-when you say your "app is under review" where do you find that information-on the same page where I submitted my app?

Thanks!

It varies from program to program. Most of the time, when you log into an application portal, it'll have some sort of "check status" or "check activity" or something of that nature.

Anyone care to commiserate over OSU-related anxiety? I'm particularly on edge about that one this week--it could be any moment now, right? It looks like they have a tendency to update their portals a day or more before the emails go out, so I'm constantly logging back in to see if they've posted.

11 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Anyone care to commiserate over OSU-related anxiety? I'm particularly on edge about that one this week--it could be any moment now, right? It looks like they have a tendency to update their portals a day or more before the emails go out, so I'm constantly logging back in to see if they've posted.

YESSSS SAME!!! Before I was only checking my email, now I just keep the portal open...but strangely a part of me is relieved to still see 'pending'. This process is something else

Edited by Narrative Nancy

7 minutes ago, Narrative Nancy said:

YESSSS SAME!!! 

This is torture. I didn't get an invite to Emory and now the silence is just killing me. I applied to OSU before my MA, so there's another entry for that app still in their system. I get 200 heart attacks a day it seems because I keep looking at that app status instead. :(

4 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Well, at least you have company! I posted somewhere earlier today that I can barely hold a conversation without freaking out about how I'm not near my computer/phone. 

Kind of makes you yearn for the days when decisions where rendered only by snail mail... (he writes on an iPad...)

2 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

LOL no. No need to wait any longer  than we need to in a constant state of impending doom.

True, the dread would probably be spread out over a longer period, but I think without the ability to constantly, often futilely, check portals/e-mail, the pre-Internet applicant was less manic than we are.