Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

4 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Colorado rejection letters seem to have gone out. But we haven't gotten anything. Perhaps they're considering husband for the MA?

I didn’t get a rejection yet, but I already have my MA so I doubt that’s the case for me! Maybe they didn’t send them all out at once or are going down the list today..

3 minutes ago, clinamen said:

I didn’t get a rejection yet, but I already have my MA so I doubt that’s the case for me! Maybe they didn’t send them all out at once or are going down the list today..

Huh! Well, there goes my theory! Perhaps you are right.

27 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Huh! Well, there goes my theory! Perhaps you are right.

There could still be merit to both. Two years ago or so, Virginia and Chicago both offered MA spots to people already holding an MA in the same field they were applying.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, cafeduneant said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Brown? 

Me! I just checked my portal and don't have anything updated.

23 minutes ago, agunns said:

Me! I just checked my portal and don't have anything updated.

When I talked to the Brown grad manager last Wednesday, I told her my husband's name and she said it "should be a good thing" that we haven't heard yet, and that they do not have a wait list, but some applicants have been "set aside" and are "pending." She said we'd hear back in 1-2 weeks.

It's such a strange situation.

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

When I talked to the Brown grad manager last Wednesday, I told her my husband's name and she said it "should be a good thing" that we haven't heard yet, and that they do not have a wait list, but some applicants have been "set aside" and are "pending." She said we'd hear back in 1-2 weeks.

It's such a strange situation.

That is really strange, but also comforting to hear in a weird way! At least it's not an outright rejection. ;)

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone here know if the University of Oklahoma has started sending acceptances yet? Their department website says they make every effort to notify by the last week of February, but so far, no acceptances have been posted yet. 

On 2/27/2018 at 2:38 PM, M(allthevowels)H said:

Did I miss Arizona State notifying? They are the last school I am waiting on, (except UC Boulder, but I can extrapolate there). 

I emailed ASU and received the following reply: 

"I just double checked with the area and they don't know at this time how quickly there will be movement in the wait list. I regret that I cannot tell  you more than that you are on a place in the list where admission is still possible. As you probably know applicants have up until April 15th to let us know their decisions.  We can only hope that they let us know sooner rather than later."

It sounds like some acceptances have gone out, but they have an invisible wait list (I haven't received anything from ASU either). I only see MA acceptances on the results board though. 

2 hours ago, Wooshkuh said:

I emailed ASU and received the following reply: 

"I just double checked with the area and they don't know at this time how quickly there will be movement in the wait list. I regret that I cannot tell  you more than that you are on a place in the list where admission is still possible. As you probably know applicants have up until April 15th to let us know their decisions.  We can only hope that they let us know sooner rather than later."

It sounds like some acceptances have gone out, but they have an invisible wait list (I haven't received anything from ASU either). I only see MA acceptances on the results board though. 

Weird. Thanks for emailing. You're a star!

On 2/23/2018 at 11:37 AM, Daenerys said:

Every time I think about calling them, I see one of your posts and I know I’m not the only one! I think I’m going to need serious treatment for an ulcer by the time this whole process is over… 

Have you heard from Tennessee yet? I got an email today with a decision letter this morning (I'm wait listed). They said that they made 10 PhD offers. 

1 hour ago, Wooshkuh said:

Have you heard from Tennessee yet? I got an email today with a decision letter this morning (I'm wait listed). They said that they made 10 PhD offers. 

I got an email today too: also waitlisted.  So far I have one acceptance, three wait lists, and two programs that haven’t said anything.  Sigh.

I see one BU rejection on the board--I wonder if they have already sent acceptances or are going to soon? It seems like they've taken WAY longer this year.

7 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

I know of Purdue’s rolling admissions-but has anyone in Rhet/Comp rolled in yet??

There are a few people over on the Rhet/Comp thread that were accepted at Purdue quite a while ago. 

3 hours ago, punctilious said:

I see one BU rejection on the board--I wonder if they have already sent acceptances or are going to soon? It seems like they've taken WAY longer this year.

I was wondering about that too. They are really taking their time mulling over these applications. :/ 

On 2/8/2018 at 8:41 AM, Warelin said:

I don't think they're done notifying yet. There are several (mostly state) schools that nominate people for certain school-wide fellowships before they complete their entire admissions classes.  I hope you get a response soon though. :)

Do you still think this??   I have heard diddley squat from them. And Purdue. They are my last two. 

Edited by Daenerys

On 3/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, EspritHabile said:

I'm in at Purdue but likely to decline the offer. 

Would you be willing to share why? It's my "reach" school and I'm holding out on a decision until I hear from them. But I've been researching more info about their TA benefits and it doesn't look like it would be a good option compared to other programs, so I'm looking for anything that might help tip the scales. 

9 hours ago, maengret said:

Would you be willing to share why? It's my "reach" school and I'm holding out on a decision until I hear from them. But I've been researching more info about their TA benefits and it doesn't look like it would be a good option compared to other programs, so I'm looking for anything that might help tip the scales. 

Sure, I'll PM you once I get to a computer. 

14 hours ago, maengret said:

My biggest concern with Purdue is their placement rate.  From what I have seen from their web page, there are lower ranked schools that have better placement.  That said, I’m in R/C which generally has better placement rates than Lit.  Every university needs someone to teach writing.  For those of us that enjoy teaching writing, that’s a good thing. 

I am still waiting to hear from Purdue and Illinois (UIUC).  The two are only 2 hours apart from each other, but Illinois’ writing studies program has a 100% placement rate.  I’d stay on the wait list til the last possible second for a placement rate like that.

On 3/4/2018 at 2:24 PM, Daenerys said:

My biggest concern with Purdue is their placement rate.

Are you looking at this? https://www.cla.purdue.edu/english/documents/graduatestudies/Website Placement Sm12toSm16.pdf

The R/C placement (including most recent years) is still 100% and the TT placement is about 80%. Those are both great stats.