7 hours ago, syza said:

Yeah same here submitted two writing samples. I feel it could only help my chances if I display multiple styles of writing. Or so I hope...

Me three! My dissertation thesis is so different to the second writing sample, so hopefully it will help a little bit ...

I'm really nervous as this is the weekend that my top choice releases interview requests (2017 - 15th Jan, 2016 - 17th Jan, etc). Honestly I wish I was religious so I had someone to pray to!

1 hour ago, abenz said:

I'm really nervous as this is the weekend that my top choice releases interview requests (2017 - 15th Jan, 2016 - 17th Jan, etc). Honestly I wish I was religious so I had someone to pray to!

OMG same! I'm having some...tumult in my work life (I'm sure it will be fine but it is stressful nonetheless) and all I think about is these apps. 

One of my schools says they do an interview weekend in "early February". It is far to travel and I'm employed so further notice would be better, so I've got myself convinced they have to be sending interview offers soon. 

I've never felt so in limbo. Of course as I'm seeing other applicants, both in and out of our field, say they wished they had added more 'safety schools' I freak out a little more each day. 

28 minutes ago, CandideCoating said:

OMG same! I'm having some...tumult in my work life (I'm sure it will be fine but it is stressful nonetheless) and all I think about is these apps. 

One of my schools says they do an interview weekend in "early February". It is far to travel and I'm employed so further notice would be better, so I've got myself convinced they have to be sending interview offers soon. 

I've never felt so in limbo. Of course as I'm seeing other applicants, both in and out of our field, say they wished they had added more 'safety schools' I freak out a little more each day. 

I'm guessing we're applying to the same school then haha. Good luck with getting through the waiting period!

I have to say that I don't think there's such thing as a safety school, so I wouldn't worry too much about that! I only applied to schools where I could see myself living and working, engaged in the department, local community, and I feel so much better about the applications, rather than applying to a few extra random schools "just in case". Sure, some of my schools are ranked higher than others, and maybe they vary in required GPA averages or GRE score rates. But I applied because I love the schools, not because I thought they'd be easier to get into. I realised that my schools vary from top 5 to top 50 but they're all equal in how much I want to go! Also, you don't know who you're competing against in any situation, and it's still all about departmental fit.

TL;DR - we all worry too much :)

On 1/9/2018 at 11:34 PM, ThePastelCalico said:

Long time since I've been to this board. Haven't been here since I got into my MS program in spring 2016, but I'm back and a hopeful candidate for a few schools. Really hoping for UW-Madison; my statement was strong and so were my letters, but I feel like my writing sample is weak when compared to the rest of my app. No telling though.

Hope everyone else is having a fun time waiting like I am. Also, any suggestions on other schools to apply to for environmental sociology? I don't feel comfortable with just four applications out there. 

I'm applying to environmental soc programs too--straight out of undergrad, feeling kind of risky about it. Where'd you do your MS? And how about Brown?

2 hours ago, abenz said:

Hey Americans! Quick question - does MLK day on Monday mean that universities are closed?

Hey @abenz

Yes, MLK day is considered a holiday. Usually the spring semester starts the Tuesday immediately following it. So it will be a crazy next few weeks!

Greetings! I'm a late poster, frequent creeper. Many of you allowed me to smile as we play this waiting game, and you deserve the written credit for it. My thanks for anxiety alleviation!

My applications include Emory and GSU

I'm a non-traditional that graduates with my BS for my 40th birthday (soc). I struggled for a 2 year period over the grad school decision, and committed to it last spring by purchasing GRE books. (I'm not a social fan of the expensive requirements and hoops). I'm a first generation graduate so it's been learn as you go. My math background was shaky at best and included only 1 year of high school algebra, remedial college algebra, and the 101 required math. I took stats and econ recently to bump that (A's), but it was not enough (I was only 8 weeks in) to save me from an extremely low quant score (10%). I was really proud it wasn't 10 points lower! I also scored less than expected in verbal and written, 60% and 65%. I hesitate to spend another 200$ but I may attempt a retake next year. 

My sop is good, and my writing samples are strong but not what I would call meaty. I don't have a thesis to supplement, and that's something I may do this summer if my applications are rejected.

My GPA is at 3.77 with 4 courses remaining, and I have some well loved professors providing recommendations. 

I wish I had research experience, but alas, I do-na. I have unlimited amounts of volunteer service with teens and children.

My areas of interest revolve around stratification, poverty, homelessness, teen\family, education, deviance, some light social movement and politics thrown in for flavor; read as: pretty much everything.

Best of luck!

SO MANY INTERVIEWS ALREADY. 

Every day that passes I realize how difficult it is to get into these schools lol. I really need to commit to a plan B, as little as I want to think about not getting in. 

Can't believe some schools are already admitting. People, come and claim your interviews and acceptances! 

On 1/12/2018 at 10:43 AM, travelmug1Q84 said:

I'm applying to environmental soc programs too--straight out of undergrad, feeling kind of risky about it. Where'd you do your MS? And how about Brown?

I did my MS at Auburn in rural sociology. So I'm really worried about how the "applied sociology" angle will look at schools. 

Brown seems to be transitioning away from environmental sociology from what my advisor said. Plus I just don't think I could have gotten into Brown anyway. 

21 hours ago, Rthusia said:

Greetings! I'm a late poster, frequent creeper. Many of you allowed me to smile as we play this waiting game, and you deserve the written credit for it. My thanks for anxiety alleviation!

My applications include Emory and GSU

I'm a non-traditional that graduates with my BS for my 40th birthday (soc). I struggled for a 2 year period over the grad school decision, and committed to it last spring by purchasing GRE books. (I'm not a social fan of the expensive requirements and hoops). I'm a first generation graduate so it's been learn as you go. My math background was shaky at best and included only 1 year of high school algebra, remedial college algebra, and the 101 required math. I took stats and econ recently to bump that (A's), but it was not enough (I was only 8 weeks in) to save me from an extremely low quant score (10%). I was really proud it wasn't 10 points lower! I also scored less than expected in verbal and written, 60% and 65%. I hesitate to spend another 200$ but I may attempt a retake next year. 

My sop is good, and my writing samples are strong but not what I would call meaty. I don't have a thesis to supplement, and that's something I may do this summer if my applications are rejected.

My GPA is at 3.77 with 4 courses remaining, and I have some well loved professors providing recommendations. 

I wish I had research experience, but alas, I do-na. I have unlimited amounts of volunteer service with teens and children.

My areas of interest revolve around stratification, poverty, homelessness, teen\family, education, deviance, some light social movement and politics thrown in for flavor; read as: pretty much everything.

Best of luck!

Rthusia,

We're applying to the same programs! I'm also a non-traditional student and only a few years younger than you. I'm also a first generation student!

I wish you all the best...hopefully we get into our programs! It would be pretty cool if we got into the same program...it would be nice to have a friend from the start. 

15 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

I did my MS at Auburn in rural sociology. So I'm really worried about how the "applied sociology" angle will look at schools. 

Brown seems to be transitioning away from environmental sociology from what my advisor said. Plus I just don't think I could have gotten into Brown anyway. 

I don't think it would matter too much. I think you might just need to do a thesis. However, there are specific rural sociology programs (i.e. Penn State & Cornell's is housed under the Dept. of Development Sociology) that is somewhat separate from the Sociology department. 

Check them out here:

Cornell

Penn State

I've been checking this place a lot but haven't been able to reply to threads in awhile. Congrats to the interviews and admits! 

Does anyone know what date it would be too late for me to receive an interview notice from Rutgers? It's one of my favorite schools on my list and I'm wondering when I should be worried about receiving no interview requests. 

On 1/13/2018 at 12:59 PM, latemeg said:

SO MANY INTERVIEWS ALREADY. 

Every day that passes I realize how difficult it is to get into these schools lol. I really need to commit to a plan B, as little as I want to think about not getting in. 

Can't believe some schools are already admitting. People, come and claim your interviews and acceptances! 

I'm in the same boat right now. I've been slacking on plan B, but now I need to make sure I can find that other adventure I wouldn't mind doing if grad school applications don't pan out. 

1 hour ago, MintChocoChip said:

I've been checking this place a lot but haven't been able to reply to threads in awhile. Congrats to the interviews and admits! 

Does anyone know what date it would be too late for me to receive an interview notice from Rutgers? It's one of my favorite schools on my list and I'm wondering when I should be worried about receiving no interview requests.

It's hard to tell/pinpoint an exact "date" when interviews are sent out. Depending on the school, since adcomms change yearly, sometimes they would do all interview requests in one batch and then make you wait. Or in some cases, they'll do acceptances in waves depending who's been interviewed and who they decide to admit from that "wave." It does get nervewracking. But from experience, a lot of schools will tell you by the end of January/early February if you're accepted or not. 

Again, it's variable these days that even though we expect them to contact us during a specific time, they won't. I remember last year (from following the 2017 thread), the east coast winter hoopla didn't stop schools from contacting while some were delayed.

14 hours ago, MintChocoChip said:

I'm in the same boat right now. I've been slacking on plan B, but now I need to make sure I can find that other adventure I wouldn't mind doing if grad school applications don't pan out. 

I'm still hoping to get one of those UChi interviews. Entirely understand. I feel like you still have a shot at getting one. There are also the schools that interview a few people and accept others without an interview, so hold onto that thought too!

On 1/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, pinoysoc said:

I don't think it would matter too much. I think you might just need to do a thesis. However, there are specific rural sociology programs (i.e. Penn State & Cornell's is housed under the Dept. of Development Sociology) that is somewhat separate from the Sociology department. 

Check them out here:

Cornell

Penn State

I'm writing a thesis right now actually. I did my undergrad in sociology and my current MS work investigates the way that North Carolina's Right-to-Farm Act complicates litigation efforts for rural homeowners who are attempting to files nuisance lawsuits against industrial hog farming operations. I'm just worried people will not like rural sociology since it's pretty much considered a more applied version of sociology that isn't viewed favorably because of the rise in urban sociology. 

23 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

It's hard to tell/pinpoint an exact "date" when interviews are sent out. Depending on the school, since adcomms change yearly, sometimes they would do all interview requests in one batch and then make you wait. Or in some cases, they'll do acceptances in waves depending who's been interviewed and who they decide to admit from that "wave." It does get nervewracking. But from experience, a lot of schools will tell you by the end of January/early February if you're accepted or not. 

Again, it's variable these days that even though we expect them to contact us during a specific time, they won't. I remember last year (from following the 2017 thread), the east coast winter hoopla didn't stop schools from contacting while some were delayed.

Oh boy, I didn't realize the "waves" thing was also for interviews! Thank you for the estimated time frame though. Even if it might not be the exact time, it's helpful for me to get a general idea of when I might hear from schools.

11 hours ago, latemeg said:

I'm still hoping to get one of those UChi interviews. Entirely understand. I feel like you still have a shot at getting one. There are also the schools that interview a few people and accept others without an interview, so hold onto that thought too!

Thank you so much @latemeg. I'm rooting for you on the UChi interview! Huh, I never knew schools could also interview only some but accept the others. I'll keep that in mind.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:50 AM, Len said:

Rthusia,

We're applying to the same programs! I'm also a non-traditional student and only a few years younger than you. I'm also a first generation student!

I wish you all the best...hopefully we get into our programs! It would be pretty cool if we got into the same program...it would be nice to have a friend from the start. 

@Len it would be! I'll even take someone in there with a kind word next year if my applications don't work out this cycle.

Much luck to everyone!

50 minutes ago, MintChocoChip said:

Oh boy, I didn't realize the "waves" thing was also for interviews! Thank you for the estimated time frame though. Even if it might not be the exact time, it's helpful for me to get a general idea of when I might hear from schools.

Thank you so much @latemeg. I'm rooting for you on the UChi interview! Huh, I never knew schools could also interview only some but accept the others. I'll keep that in mind.

Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Ryanrichmond said:

It’s very quiet tonight. Seems almost like the quiet before the storm of results that are going to come out soon

I'm really trying not to stress out! I'm so ready to leave St. Louis and get started on this last leg of school for me! It's getting tiring when the work you do is someone else's baby and have no say or feel like you're not appreciated on the project!

Hi! So today I received my first two rejections, one from Temple University where I went to for undergrad (that was in Clinical Psych-I know I am in the Sociology forum so bear with me) and Rutgers University. My first choice is Temple University's Sociology PHD program. Has anyone else applied? I was told they are still reviewing applications. I am also waiting on Boston University for their decision on my Sociology PHD application. They said since the deadline just ended it is going to have 4-6 weeks for them to take a decision. I did receive an interview at PCOM, Philadelphia School of Ostrepedic Medicine but they do not fund. My heart was crushed today with these two rejections and I had to call for both! I wasn't contacted. I was actually crying at work (hiding it well though). I have a masters degree in School Counseling with a 3.89 GPA and have been working as a School Counselor in Florida for 2 years. Low GRE scores but I am not a good test taker. It seems childish but I can't help wondering why no-one wants me. Am I just not made for this? I cannot be stuck as a School Counselor forever, I absolutely hate it. I am now looking at masters programs that are fully funded, even though it would be my second masters. Is anyone else just feeling extremely discouraged? 

Feel free to message me if you are in a similar boat or haven't heard from anyone either! We need to stick together :(

Edited by carolynb

1 hour ago, carolynb said:

Hi! So today I received my first two rejections, one from Temple University where I went to for undergrad (that was in Clinical Psych-I know I am in the Sociology forum so bear with me) and Rutgers University. My first choice is Temple University's Sociology PHD program. Has anyone else applied? I was told they are still reviewing applications. I am also waiting on Boston University for their decision on my Sociology PHD application. They said since the deadline just ended it is going to have 4-6 weeks for them to take a decision. I did receive an interview at PCOM, Philadelphia School of Ostrepedic Medicine but they do not fund. My heart was crushed today with these two rejections and I had to call for both! I wasn't contacted. I was actually crying at work (hiding it well though). I have a masters degree in School Counseling with a 3.89 GPA and have been working as a School Counselor in Florida for 2 years. Low GRE scores but I am not a good test taker. It seems childish but I can't help wondering why no-one wants me. Am I just not made for this? I cannot be stuck as a School Counselor forever, I absolutely hate it. I am now looking at masters programs that are fully funded, even though it would be my second masters. Is anyone else just feeling extremely discouraged? 

Feel free to message me if you are in a similar boat or haven't heard from anyone either! We need to stick together :(

So, from what I've learned from my advisor is that you have to understand it less as a rejection of you and more that they couldn't find room for you in their program. I know right now that these two things seem very very similar, but there is so much that is beyond your control. You may have applied during a particularly competitive year and you can't help that; maybe they wanted to accept you but couldn't just based on funding and the availability of funds within the department; maybe the people you want to work with aren't accepting new students right now (that's the exact reason I didn't apply to Colorado-Boulder); maybe it came down to you and another student and they just happened to like their personal statement more. People are very fickle things - this is particularly true for academics. It's very scary, as I'm terrified I'll hear bad news from all of the programs I applied to and I'll be thinking the exact same thing - "Why don't they want me? What did I do wrong?" But the fact of the matter is that no one is the perfect candidate, as much as we'd like to believe we are, and there are a number of factors beyond your control that could have lead to these rejections. 

Keep your head up and realize that it's tough now, and you have the right to be upset. But grow from this - if you choose to apply again, look at your personal statement and your writing sample and see if there are ways to make those stronger to compensate for a low GRE. At the end of the day, we are worth so much more than a rejection letter. I wish you nothing but the best moving forward. 

4 hours ago, carolynb said:

Glad to see another BU sociology applicant. I'm waiting for their decision too! (I got undergrad gpa much lower than yours, 3.70, and low GRE too, all 60 something percentile)

Don't worry, good news always comes late, perhaps you will hear something exciting in Feb.