50 minutes ago, abenz said:

You’re welcome @qeta! Hoping that we all share news from the adcomms as it comes in ... it’s internet karma right?

@2733amh interesting group of schools! Are you applying for sociology at all of them, and is Georgetown a JD?

@abenz they are all sociology apps + a dual degree JD/PhD app at Northwestern. Georgetown is a JD. my career goals are to get into juvenile justice and mass incarceration advocacy and policy reform + at-risk youth and child welfare/protective services advocacy + policy so I applied to a mix of PhD and JD programs because both degrees can support me in that

On 1/3/2018 at 1:41 AM, European Lumpi said:

Hey @socihk,

Look your profile seems good with a few exceptions, but no one is going to be able to tell you anything specific. And given that you've already applied, it does not really matter anyways ;) A few thoughts nonetheless:

• Given your test scores Harvard and Princeton would probably be a long shot
  • Your relatively weak Verbal, in combination with okay (but not great) Toefl scores might raise some eyebrows. From what I hear, Asian applicants can occasionally suffer from bias during the admissions process and concerns regarding your English abilities could exacerbate that problem.
  • Other than that your research experience seems great! Having co-authored two papers should be regarded highly. Depending on the people on the AdComms fit, writing samples, and your experience might be able to make up for mediocre scores. 

Right now, no one knows what to expect and we're all in the same anxious boat. I'm sorry that I'm not able to alleviate your concerns, but the only people able to do that are hopefully looking at our applications as we speak.

Best of luck. 

Thanks for the comments!

I didn't have much time to prepare for the GRE, I was too busy doing interviews and observations over the last 5-6 months.

I'm hoping next year I can do better (assuming I won't get any offer this time).

Anyway, wish you guys all get accepted!

4 hours ago, socihk said:

I'm hoping next year I can do better (assuming I won't get any offer this time).

It’s so important to remember that *none of us* know what might happen! Your stats are one part of your application but so is your writing sample, the letters of recommendation and the statement of purpose. Chin up everyone, we won’t know how everything shakes out til April 15th so we might as well be positive now!

So many of us are applying to the same schools! I keep on seeing University of Chicago / University of Pennsylvania / Indiana Bloomington / UWM (of course). I'll be frank with you guys. I am NOT a fan of y'all having better quant scores than I do. :P

It really is the luck of the draw though. We'll see. I feel like my application is a particularly mixed bag. 

1 hour ago, KevinJHa said:

I think its best to go in with the understanding that the process is pretty arbitrary, and there are lots of factors that we could not possibly control! Whatever happens happens, but I have a good feeling about all of yall <3

This cannot be stressed enough. Every insight seems to point to the direction that after making it through the cut-off (whatever makes it through that), the process becomes completely random. At this point, there's nothing we can do other than keeping our fingers crossed. For every candidate with perfect stats, there is one that got in with motivation and experience.

@latemeg I feel the same way with the quant scores and the lack of research experience on my part. However, like everyone is saying on this thread, there's only so much that we can control and we all have our other good points too. Let's cross our fingers and hope that we can begin the new year with some good news! :D

Finally finished my apps before the new year!! Unfortunately, I got sick, but I guess it'll force me to relax. Really loving all of the positive vibes here and hoping that everyone will welcome the new year with some good news about our apps! 

I am super insecure about my quant score and I feel like that's the biggest thing that could tank me (I have a mediocre undergrad GPA but I have the equivalent of a 3.9-4.0 for 2 years of masters coursework, which I hope makes up for it), because I keep hearing from people that "they really look at the quant score in sociology since everyone has a good verbal score" and verbatim "you need a 160 quant or higher to get into X program that I applied to" and that all makes me scared lol

On 1/4/2018 at 6:10 PM, qualsoc2018 said:

I am super insecure about my quant score and I feel like that's the biggest thing that could tank me (I have a mediocre undergrad GPA but I have the equivalent of a 3.9-4.0 for 2 years of masters coursework, which I hope makes up for it), because I keep hearing from people that "they really look at the quant score in sociology since everyone has a good verbal score" and verbatim "you need a 160 quant or higher to get into X program that I applied to" and that all makes me scared lol

Don't worry about it! My scores are super bad for Ph.D. programs, but they were from undergrad. I'm just worried about scores expiring. 

How's everyone holding up!?!?!?

On 1/6/2018 at 3:21 PM, pinoysoc said:

Don't worry about it! My scores are super bad for Ph.D. programs, but they were from undergrad. I'm just worried about scores expiring. 

How's everyone holding up!?!?!?

Meh, I've had better days! Luckily, my master's is about to start back up, which should provide some much needed distraction from constantly thinking about admissions. Who knows, I might even be able to stop frantically checking this page to see if anything has happened haha

Edited by European Lumpi

I'm having a stressful day! Just logged into Brown to see that they're waiting for my TOEFL/IETLS scores. As I'm an English-speaking, England-originating, two-degrees-from-well-known-English-universities kinda gal, I'm not sure why this has come up. I'm assuming it's just a system error now but hopefully it's not delaying any reviews of the applications. I've emailed the grad email account to ask for help. It's so frustrating behind ahead of the US, I never get any replies til early afternoon my time!

On 1/4/2018 at 6:10 PM, qualsoc2018 said:

If it makes you feel any better, I got accepted to two different programs last year (ranging from top 10-30), and my quant score was only 155. Some schools probably do look more closely at quant than verbal because they want to make sure you will be able to pass their stats sequence, but for a lot of programs, this score is only ONE part of your application. Keep your head up! :)

17 hours ago, abenz said:

I'm having a stressful day! Just logged into Brown to see that they're waiting for my TOEFL/IETLS scores. As I'm an English-speaking, England-originating, two-degrees-from-well-known-English-universities kinda gal, I'm not sure why this has come up. I'm assuming it's just a system error now but hopefully it's not delaying any reviews of the applications. I've emailed the grad email account to ask for help. It's so frustrating behind ahead of the US, I never get any replies til early afternoon my time!

I feel you! this was the feeling for me three years ago! I was living on Guam and wouldn't get notfications until midnight. being ahead of the US for 15-16 hours, it sucked big time! I even had an interview at midnight for the MA program I ended up attending!

On 1/7/2018 at 10:06 AM, European Lumpi said:

Meh, I've had better days! Luckily, my master's is about to start back up, which should provide some much needed distraction from constantly thinking about admissions. Who knows, I might even be able to stop frantically checking this page to see if anything has happened haha

That's good! I dreaded applying while I was still in my MA program. I was already distracted while writing it and had extra time in my last year because I was analyzing data already by the fall of my last year.  I told myself don't apply or else you'll fall behind with the thesis!

But good luck though! Finishing up school while applying to more school is hard!

Hi all! 

Finally time to post because it's too stressful waiting alone!

I applied to five schools (Stanford, UNC Chapel Hill, Princeton, UW Madison, and Michigan) and am concerned that 5 schools (all ranked highly) aren't enough. I have a very strong interest in the sociology of health and wrote an undergrad thesis on the topic with departmental awards and a 3.98 GPA (overall and in sociology major). My GRE scores weren't anything to write home about (V-162 and Q-159) but I'm hoping they'll be enough for one school. I feel pretty good about my writing sample (my thesis) but don't have any publications, as I went to a liberal arts college where professor research is secondary to teaching, although I did work as an RA for a publication yet to be completed. I also feel good about my letters of recommendation--three professors I've worked closely with and the president of my alma mater, who I work for now as a data analyst.  I'm also not sure about my statement of purpose. I felt really good about it but asked too many people for advice and heard contradictory things, so who knows! I'm just trying to breathe and remember that even rejection doesn't mean this isn't the right path. 

Anyone have experience with these programs? I think Princeton is the odd one out in my list, as they are moving more towards urban sociology as far as I can tell.

I have no clue what to expect but would love to chat with you all and worry with others instead of alone!

Edited by Madelene

2 hours ago, Madelene said:

Hi all! 

Finally time to post because it's too stressful waiting alone!

I applied to five schools (Stanford, UNC Chapel Hill, Princeton, UW Madison, and Michigan) and am concerned that 5 schools (all ranked highly) aren't enough. I have a very strong interest in the sociology of health and wrote an undergrad thesis on the topic with departmental awards and a 3.98 GPA (overall and in sociology major). My GRE scores weren't anything to write home about (V-162 and Q-159) but I'm hoping they'll be enough for one school. I feel pretty good about my writing sample (my thesis) but don't have any publications, as I went to a liberal arts college where professor research is secondary to teaching, although I did work as an RA for a publication yet to be completed. I also feel good about my letters of recommendation--three professors I've worked closely with and the president of my Alma mater, who I work for now as a data analyst.  I'm also not sure about my statement of purpose. I felt really good about it but asked too many people for advice and heard contradictory things, so who knows! I'm just trying to breathe and remember that even rejection doesn't mean this isn't the right path. 

Anyone have experience with these programs? I think Princeton is the odd one out in my list, as they are moving more towards urban sociology as far as I can tell.

I have no clue what to expect but would love to chat with you all and worry with others instead of alone!

Oh god seeing all the applicants come out of the woods is terrifying haha. I applied to very similar profile schools but definitely have lower GRE and GPAs than you. I feel you shouldn't worry too much, your general profile sounds very good and I believe it will come down to research fit. 

Hi all! I decided to follow Madelene's lead and make the jump from long-time lurker to (hopefully) productive participant. :) 

I am four years out of school and have loved every twist and turn of my post-college trajectory. However, something in my gut (#ENFJ) felt like this was the year to throw my proverbial hat into the ring!

My research interests lie at the intersection of stratification & inequality and collective action & social movements. I am endlessly fascinated by the ways in which historically marginalized communities collectively identify and navigate social problems. Specifically, I am intrigued by the ways in which these processes might manifest differently across the U.S. urban/rural divide or when fortified by religious rhetoric.

I have submitted applications to eight programs and am trying to be as productive as possible with any anxiety during this time: whenever I catch myself perseverating over my chances of admission, I open Duolingo and go through French flashcards instead! I have also started training for a half marathon which gives me a healthy goal to work towards and makes me feel like I am actively accomplishing something in the midst of this liminal period.

Best of luck to all! Keep your heads above water and remember that you are so much more than whatever outcome results from this capricious process!

33 minutes ago, capslock said:

I have submitted applications to eight programs and am trying to be as productive as possible with any anxiety during this time: whenever I catch myself perseverating over my chances of admission, I open Duolingo and go through French flashcards instead! I have also started training for a half marathon which gives me a healthy goal to work towards and makes me feel like I am actively accomplishing something in the midst of this liminal period.

This is so cool! Would anyone be interested in group goals? Like working towards something with another person/a group to sort of keep each other accountable? I'm trying to get back to strength training, learn the guitar, and make more art. Anyone interested in similar things?  

1 hour ago, KevinJHa said:

Oh god seeing all the applicants come out of the woods is terrifying haha. I applied to very similar profile schools but definitely have lower GRE and GPAs than you. I feel you shouldn't worry too much, your general profile sounds very good and I believe it will come down to research fit. 

KevinJHa I've seen your posts and thought the same thing about you! Honestly, fit is what I'm most worried about. I know I'm qualified to be somewhere--my big fear is that I chose the wrong places at the wrong time, and there's just no way to know if that's the case.

24 minutes ago, Madelene said:

KevinJHa I've seen your posts and thought the same thing about you! Honestly, fit is what I'm most worried about. I know I'm qualified to be somewhere--my big fear is that I chose the wrong places at the wrong time, and there's just no way to know if that's the case.

Yes absolutely -- the uncontrollable factors are the most terrifying :unsure:

27 minutes ago, Madelene said:

This is so cool! Would anyone be interested in group goals? Like working towards something with another person/a group to sort of keep each other accountable? I'm trying to get back to strength training, learn the guitar, and make more art. Anyone interested in similar things?  

I've been playing guitar for about 11 years but over the past year -- due to career and graduate applications -- have fallen off. Over the next few months I plan on really getting back into songwriting, working out, and reading more fiction :)

1 hour ago, capslock said:

Hi all! I decided to follow Madelene's lead and make the jump from long-time lurker to (hopefully) productive participant. :) 

I am four years out of school and have loved every twist and turn of my post-college trajectory. However, something in my gut (#ENFJ) felt like this was the year to throw my proverbial hat into the ring!

My research interests lie at the intersection of stratification & inequality and collective action & social movements. I am endlessly fascinated by the ways in which historically marginalized communities collectively identify and navigate social problems. Specifically, I am intrigued by the ways in which these processes might manifest differently across the U.S. urban/rural divide or when fortified by religious rhetoric.

Best of luck to all! Keep your heads above water and remember that you are so much more than whatever outcome results from this capricious process!

Great to see another social movements person on this board! Where all did you apply (you can message me if you don't want to share publicly)

29 minutes ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Great to see another social movements person on this board! Where all did you apply (you can message me if you don't want to share publicly)

I'm social movements too!

1 hour ago, Madelene said:

I just started doing The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross and joined a gym.