8 hours ago, carolynb said:

Hi! So today I received my first two rejections, one from Temple University where I went to for undergrad (that was in Clinical Psych-I know I am in the Sociology forum so bear with me) and Rutgers University. My first choice is Temple University's Sociology PHD program. Has anyone else applied? I was told they are still reviewing applications. I am also waiting on Boston University for their decision on my Sociology PHD application. They said since the deadline just ended it is going to have 4-6 weeks for them to take a decision. I did receive an interview at PCOM, Philadelphia School of Ostrepedic Medicine but they do not fund. My heart was crushed today with these two rejections and I had to call for both! I wasn't contacted. I was actually crying at work (hiding it well though). I have a masters degree in School Counseling with a 3.89 GPA and have been working as a School Counselor in Florida for 2 years. Low GRE scores but I am not a good test taker. It seems childish but I can't help wondering why no-one wants me. Am I just not made for this? I cannot be stuck as a School Counselor forever, I absolutely hate it. I am now looking at masters programs that are fully funded, even though it would be my second masters. Is anyone else just feeling extremely discouraged? 

Feel free to message me if you are in a similar boat or haven't heard from anyone either! We need to stick together :(

I'm very sorry to hear that @carolynb

First of all, I really commend you for spreading your applications in different fields. Second, I'm so thankful that you're brave enough to share these heartbreaking news to total random strangers on the internet. Lol.

However, there's a silver lining to all of this. BU is still reviewing applications so you can't necessarily count yourself out yet. You can take PCOM's acceptance as a sign that you're more than good enough to get into a school... nonetheless, a medical school! 

At the moment, my best advice for you is to just take it slow, and breathe. Looking for a master's program that's fully funded my not be in your best interest (since they're rare, but they're there). Just try to take small steps like rethinking your line of work if things don't work out for this application season. I highly suggest to take a step back from the application and reflect on what can be done better. Maybe the school wasn't a right fit (in terms of research interests). Have you revisited your SOP and see what could be improved? In terms of your GRE, I do feel you that some of us are not the best test takers (heck, I'm just like you with an abysmal 144/146/3.5), but do consider re-taking it. I was told by Utah State three years ago that my GRE's were the reason why I didn't get in. It stung, but by the time they told me, I was heading to a funded MA. 

The feeling of extreme discourage is temporary; I, myself, feel the same as each day passes and I don't hear from the schools I applied to. But, sometimes, it's hard to roll with saying 'it happened for a reason.' I wouldn't be here, applying for my third application cycle, if I gave up after getting rejected from 8 PhD programs in a row back in the 2014 application season. Heck, if you look at my activity, I was nearly depressed from all the rejections, but managed to bounce back up.

Message me if you need more help!

We're all here for you!

On 1/15/2018 at 10:37 AM, latemeg said:

I'm still hoping to get one of those UChi interviews. Entirely understand. I feel like you still have a shot at getting one. There are also the schools that interview a few people and accept others without an interview, so hold onto that thought too!

Your prediction was right. I got an interview from Rutgers! 

11 hours ago, carolynb said:

Hi! So today I received my first two rejections, one from Temple University where I went to for undergrad (that was in Clinical Psych-I know I am in the Sociology forum so bear with me) and Rutgers University. My first choice is Temple University's Sociology PHD program. Has anyone else applied? I was told they are still reviewing applications. I am also waiting on Boston University for their decision on my Sociology PHD application. They said since the deadline just ended it is going to have 4-6 weeks for them to take a decision. I did receive an interview at PCOM, Philadelphia School of Ostrepedic Medicine but they do not fund. My heart was crushed today with these two rejections and I had to call for both! I wasn't contacted. I was actually crying at work (hiding it well though). I have a masters degree in School Counseling with a 3.89 GPA and have been working as a School Counselor in Florida for 2 years. Low GRE scores but I am not a good test taker. It seems childish but I can't help wondering why no-one wants me. Am I just not made for this? I cannot be stuck as a School Counselor forever, I absolutely hate it. I am now looking at masters programs that are fully funded, even though it would be my second masters. Is anyone else just feeling extremely discouraged? 

Feel free to message me if you are in a similar boat or haven't heard from anyone either! We need to stick together :(

I'm sorry to hear about this @carolynb

I just want to say that even though what happened was terrible, I commend you for accomplishing the masters degree with that high GPA and being able to work as a counselor for 2 years despite hating it. That takes a lot of perseverance and hard work which is important for this application process so I say you are made for this. I also understand switching programs since I'm doing the same thing and it can be hard sometimes to translate our experiences into Sociology. Perhaps along with the other advice that was given here, try to see if you were able to show how your experiences as a school counselor would inform your research. You also have BU and the interview at PCOM going for you so don't lose hope just yet! 

I second @ThePastelCalico's statement that it is more about finding room for students. The schools want to be able to give the best amount of resources possible, but as a consequence they cannot take a lot of students.

It's okay to feel the way you're feeling now. Take the time to process the feelings. Then afterwards, see how you can grow and think about what other opportunities you can pursue. I'm not a GRE expert, but I know some resources that could help when you decide to take it again. Message me if you wanna know or just need someone to chat with. This board is full of wonderful supportive people and we are here for you. 

Hi everybody. I'm so excited and nervous for this next month, I wonder what the universe has in plan for us! I just graduated from the University of Iowa this December, with a major in Sociology and double minors in Communication Studies and Philosophy. I earned a 4.02 GPA and actually gave the Commencement speech at graduation (this is surreal considering my first years at the University (entered fall 2013) I was battling mental illness and left to seek treatment- which I did not mention on any applications after lots of thought- I am now in recovery for the past 2 years). I found my research passion as I began an internship at the University's Public Policy Center in the Social and Education Research Program. I started January 2017 on the project, which is a research-practice partnership with a local school district to address disparities in student outcomes. We conduct school climate surveys, provide recommendations and policy briefs, evaluate professional development, etc. I had always been passionate about sociology, and the power of sociological research to address social inequalities, and this internship gave me a specific area of study to focus my efforts on. Over the summer 2017, I did a volunteer internship at Johnson County Social Services and designed and conducted two program evaluations on youth programs the county is doing. I started an internship at the local school district due to my work on the partnership, and now work with the Director of Equity and Engagement. I also got a job over the summer as a telephone research interviewer at the Iowa Social Science Research Center and am now a supervisor. I decided to apply to grad school in September, as it became clearer that to be able achieve my goals and dreams, I need professional research training and expertise from a graduate program. I began to study for the GRE, I took the GRE after a few months and scored 160 V/153 W/4.5 AW. I got my CV, statement of purposes, writing samples, transcripts, and letters of rec all in order and worked so hard to get all my applications in, while also finishing school to graduate on Dec. 16th (and make a speech!), along with my jobs and internships. It was a crazy past couple months, and now I'm just working at the school district and research center waiting for results!

My research interests are: social stratification, social and educational policy, race/ethnicity.

Schools I applied to: University of Wisc Madison, University of Mich Ann Arbor, University of Penn, Duke, Northwestern, Harvard, Princeton, Indiana-Bloomington, UIowa, Cornell

I am nervous that my GRE scores aren't super competitive, my undergrad institution isn't "prestigious", and I have no publications (I have assisted in 3 research reports with the Public Policy Center though), and no grants/fancy awards. I am confident about my GPA (I'm a super nerd- I love school, writing, and reading), research experience, letters of rec, CV, and SOP.

Edited by wildflower21

13 minutes ago, wildflower21 said:

Hi everybody. I'm so excited and nervous for this next month, I wonder what the universe has in plan for us! I just graduated from the University of Iowa this December, with a major in Sociology and double minors in Communication Studies and Philosophy. I earned a 4.02 GPA and actually gave the Commencement speech at graduation (this is surreal considering my first years at the University I was battling mental illness and left to seek treatment- which I did not mention on any applications after lots of thought). I found my research passion as I began an internship at the University's Public Policy Center in the Social and Education Research Program. I started January 2017 on the project, which is a research-practice partnership with a local school district to address disparities in student outcomes. We conduct school climate surveys, provide recommendations and policy briefs, evaluate professional development, etc. I had always been passionate about sociology, and the power of sociological research to address social inequalities, and this internship gave me a specific area of study to focus my efforts on. Over the summer 2017, I did a volunteer internship at Johnson County Social Services and designed and conducted two program evaluations on youth programs the county is doing. I started an internship at the local school district due to my work on the partnership, and now work with the Director of Equity and Engagement. I also got a job over the summer as a telephone research interviewer at the Iowa Social Science Research Center and am now a supervisor. I decided to apply to grad school in September, as it became clearer that to be able achieve my goals and dreams, I need professional research training and expertise from a graduate program. I began to study for the GRE, I took the GRE after a few months and scored 160 V/153 W/4.5 AW. I got my CV, statement of purposes, writing samples, transcripts, and letters of rec all in order and worked so hard to get all my applications in, while also finishing school to graduate on Dec. 16th (and make a speech!), along with my jobs and internships. It was a crazy past couple months, and now I'm just working at the school district and research center waiting for results!

My research interests are: social stratification, social and educational policy, race/ethnicity.

Schools I applied to: University of Wisc Madison, University of Mich Ann Arbor, University of Penn, Duke, Northwestern, Harvard, Princeton, Indiana-Bloomington, UIowa, Cornell

I am nervous that my GRE scores aren't super competitive, my undergrad institution isn't "prestigious", and I have no publications (I have assisted in 3 research reports with the Public Policy Center though), and no grants/fancy awards. I am confident about my GPA (I'm a super nerd- I love school, writing, and reading), research experience, letters of rec, CV, and SOP.

Welcome to the forum!

Your background sounds exciting! It's okay to be nervous since all of us come from different backgrounds and god knows what's going to happen in the next few weeks/months!

23 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Guys, I'm starting to freak out. The first Penn State acceptance came in... Oh lord knows I want to get into this program... B A D!

It looks like the acceptances last year came out over at least a week, so I wouldn’t be too worried. I applied to Penn State as well, and I’m just trying to remember that we never really know what the application process is like year to year. Especially since last year they did interviews and it doesn’t seem like they did this year, so it could be completely different this year.

13 minutes ago, Ryanrichmond said:

It looks like the acceptances last year came out over at least a week, so I wouldn’t be too worried. I applied to Penn State as well, and I’m just trying to remember that we never really know what the application process is like year to year. Especially since last year they did interviews and it doesn’t seem like they did this year, so it could be completely different this year.

Also Penn State is a state school and according to what I've read on other boards here, state schools often have university-wide fellowship competitions (usually based on GRE scores) that have earlier deadlines than the usual admissions process, so they admit the fellowship nominees first (before the other people that they accept) in order to meet these deadlines.

22 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

So, from what I've learned from my advisor is that you have to understand it less as a rejection of you and more that they couldn't find room for you in their program. I know right now that these two things seem very very similar, but there is so much that is beyond your control. You may have applied during a particularly competitive year and you can't help that; maybe they wanted to accept you but couldn't just based on funding and the availability of funds within the department; maybe the people you want to work with aren't accepting new students right now (that's the exact reason I didn't apply to Colorado-Boulder); maybe it came down to you and another student and they just happened to like their personal statement more. People are very fickle things - this is particularly true for academics. It's very scary, as I'm terrified I'll hear bad news from all of the programs I applied to and I'll be thinking the exact same thing - "Why don't they want me? What did I do wrong?" But the fact of the matter is that no one is the perfect candidate, as much as we'd like to believe we are, and there are a number of factors beyond your control that could have lead to these rejections. 

Keep your head up and realize that it's tough now, and you have the right to be upset. But grow from this - if you choose to apply again, look at your personal statement and your writing sample and see if there are ways to make those stronger to compensate for a low GRE. At the end of the day, we are worth so much more than a rejection letter. I wish you nothing but the best moving forward. 

Thank you Pastel Calico (I love Calicos-I have one myself)! My heart breaks at this point knowing most of the application deadlines are up. I applied to a Masters program today. Thank you for your beautiful words and please keep my updated on your journey!

20 hours ago, socihk said:

Glad to see another BU sociology applicant. I'm waiting for their decision too! (I got undergrad gpa much lower than yours, 3.70, and low GRE too, all 60 something percentile)

Don't worry, good news always comes late, perhaps you will hear something exciting in Feb.

And it is a shame you cannot look up your application online for them! I had to email and make sure my application was complete. Let's keep each other updated and IF we both get accepted we can get together somewhere in beautiful Boston :)

Edited by carolynb

Hi guys, as some of you know I’m looking for a job rn and have found a really amazing position, for which I have an interview next week. It’s a permanent role in health research, but it’s unlikely that I’ll know about any PhD spots before I hear back from them about whether I’ve got it. In your opinion, what are the ethics of not telling them I’ve applied for a PhD? And if I have heard back and have (fingers crossed) got a space, should I take the role? My old firm has offered me a six month admin role if I do get a PhD offer, so that I can save money, but obviously field research is better even if it means deceiving the company I’m working for ... what say you? Thanks ? 

16 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

I'm very sorry to hear that @carolynb

First of all, I really commend you for spreading your applications in different fields. Second, I'm so thankful that you're brave enough to share these heartbreaking news to total random strangers on the internet. Lol.

However, there's a silver lining to all of this. BU is still reviewing applications so you can't necessarily count yourself out yet. You can take PCOM's acceptance as a sign that you're more than good enough to get into a school... nonetheless, a medical school! 

At the moment, my best advice for you is to just take it slow, and breathe. Looking for a master's program that's fully funded my not be in your best interest (since they're rare, but they're there). Just try to take small steps like rethinking your line of work if things don't work out for this application season. I highly suggest to take a step back from the application and reflect on what can be done better. Maybe the school wasn't a right fit (in terms of research interests). Have you revisited your SOP and see what could be improved? In terms of your GRE, I do feel you that some of us are not the best test takers (heck, I'm just like you with an abysmal 144/146/3.5), but do consider re-taking it. I was told by Utah State three years ago that my GRE's were the reason why I didn't get in. It stung, but by the time they told me, I was heading to a funded MA. 

The feeling of extreme discourage is temporary; I, myself, feel the same as each day passes and I don't hear from the schools I applied to. But, sometimes, it's hard to roll with saying 'it happened for a reason.' I wouldn't be here, applying for my third application cycle, if I gave up after getting rejected from 8 PhD programs in a row back in the 2014 application season. Heck, if you look at my activity, I was nearly depressed from all the rejections, but managed to bounce back up.

Message me if you need more help!

We're all here for you!

Thank you so much Pino! I pray everything does happen for a reason, it would make life a lot less stressful. I have 3 more waiting (I was going to apply to Vanderbilt too-good luck!!!!). I don't have a good feeling for myself, and all of the deadlines are pretty much up (I've been looking). Thank you so much for your kind words and I will probably be messaging you very soon. 

13 hours ago, MintChocoChip said:

I just want to say that even though what happened was terrible, I commend you for accomplishing the masters degree with that high GPA and being able to work as a counselor for 2 years despite hating it. That takes a lot of perseverance and hard work which is important for this application process so I say you are made for this. I also understand switching programs since I'm doing the same thing and it can be hard sometimes to translate our experiences into Sociology. Perhaps along with the other advice that was given here, try to see if you were able to show how your experiences as a school counselor would inform your research. You also have BU and the interview at PCOM going for you so don't lose hope just yet! 

I second @ThePastelCalico's statement that it is more about finding room for students. The schools want to be able to give the best amount of resources possible, but as a consequence they cannot take a lot of students.

It's okay to feel the way you're feeling now. Take the time to process the feelings. Then afterwards, see how you can grow and think about what other opportunities you can pursue. I'm not a GRE expert, but I know some resources that could help when you decide to take it again. Message me if you wanna know or just need someone to chat with. This board is full of wonderful supportive people and we are here for you. 

Thank you MintChocoChip! Is it crazy that I may not even go to the PCOM interview since they do not fund at all? I've had my parents pay for my undergrad and masters, I cannot put this on them. I need somewhere that offers assistance. Since I am in FL, my main goal is to go back up north (FL is not so great. At all). Trying to stay positive. Good luck to you and I can't wait to hear your status. I am definitely going to be messaging you!

31 minutes ago, carolynb said:

Is it crazy that I may not even go to the PCOM interview since they do not fund at all?

It depends! What do they say about funding? Do they support you to apply to scholarships and is there any chance that you could win a university prize or fellowship which would fund your Studies? My thoughts are that it’s better to get interview practice and make connections in the field, if there is any possibility of future help if you are admitted.

5 hours ago, carolynb said:

And it is a shame you cannot look up your application online for them! I had to email and make sure my application was complete. Let's keep each other updated and IF we both get accepted we can get together somewhere in beautiful Boston :)

I remember a few hours after my submission I got an email from the BU gsas saying they received my app and had forwarded to the department. (I submitted in late Dec.)

My impression is that the app system was not so user friendly. Like, they provide very limited choices of degree types in the background section but don't allow me to type in manually. My bachelor's degree is "bachelor of social sciences," and my master's degree is MPhil, a british style research master's degree. But I could not find any of them and had to fill in something like "other master degree" and "other bachelor." I have no idea whether this would do harm to my apps. Sigh...

On 1/19/2018 at 11:21 AM, MintChocoChip said:

I'm so happy for you! Best of luck with your interview, I hope it goes well :)

20 hours ago, wildflower21 said:

Hi everybody. I'm so excited and nervous for this next month, I wonder what the universe has in plan for us! I just graduated from the University of Iowa this December, with a major in Sociology and double minors in Communication Studies and Philosophy. I earned a 4.02 GPA and actually gave the Commencement speech at graduation (this is surreal considering my first years at the University (entered fall 2013) I was battling mental illness and left to seek treatment- which I did not mention on any applications after lots of thought- I am now in recovery for the past 2 years). I found my research passion as I began an internship at the University's Public Policy Center in the Social and Education Research Program. I started January 2017 on the project, which is a research-practice partnership with a local school district to address disparities in student outcomes. We conduct school climate surveys, provide recommendations and policy briefs, evaluate professional development, etc. I had always been passionate about sociology, and the power of sociological research to address social inequalities, and this internship gave me a specific area of study to focus my efforts on. Over the summer 2017, I did a volunteer internship at Johnson County Social Services and designed and conducted two program evaluations on youth programs the county is doing. I started an internship at the local school district due to my work on the partnership, and now work with the Director of Equity and Engagement. I also got a job over the summer as a telephone research interviewer at the Iowa Social Science Research Center and am now a supervisor. I decided to apply to grad school in September, as it became clearer that to be able achieve my goals and dreams, I need professional research training and expertise from a graduate program. I began to study for the GRE, I took the GRE after a few months and scored 160 V/153 W/4.5 AW. I got my CV, statement of purposes, writing samples, transcripts, and letters of rec all in order and worked so hard to get all my applications in, while also finishing school to graduate on Dec. 16th (and make a speech!), along with my jobs and internships. It was a crazy past couple months, and now I'm just working at the school district and research center waiting for results!

Hey! We're applying to 5(!!) of the same schools (UWM, UMAA, UPenn, NW, IUB). Sounds like you and I have quite similar applications too, with different research areas though; I'm more into sociology of health and illness/social epidemiology, gender, and race (w a focus on scientific racism). My GRE scores were 166V, 151Q, and 4.5AW. [I f*cking hate the AW tasks. If there is ANYTHING I'm confident about, it's my writing, and I resent being graded by a robot. Lol]. I have more TA experience rather than RA experience (in your case). I'm finishing up a MA right now with a 4.0 grad GPA, but only a 3.63 undergrad GPA (psych major). I didn't come from a prestigious undergrad either--in fact I started at the community college. No publications for me either, although I was an editor for something that did just get published. 

Congratulations on your recovery--nothing can mess up a school year quite like a bout of illness like that, and it definitely happens. It seems like you are a super dedicated applicant--I bet it shows on your applications! 

Fingers crossed for both of us -- maybe we'll end up at the same place! 

11 hours ago, abenz said:

Hi guys, as some of you know I’m looking for a job rn and have found a really amazing position, for which I have an interview next week. It’s a permanent role in health research, but it’s unlikely that I’ll know about any PhD spots before I hear back from them about whether I’ve got it. In your opinion, what are the ethics of not telling them I’ve applied for a PhD? And if I have heard back and have (fingers crossed) got a space, should I take the role? My old firm has offered me a six month admin role if I do get a PhD offer, so that I can save money, but obviously field research is better even if it means deceiving the company I’m working for ... what say you? Thanks ? 

What do you think their hiring timeline will be like? Post interview,  I mean. Some employers do two rounds of interviews and some take 1-3 weeks to make a decision on hiring. 

I'd go to the interview as normal, and unless they ask something specific about your future plans or something, I'd not volunteer the info. Let the cards fall where they may. If they offer it to you and you still haven't heard, well, cross that bridge when you come to it. 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:40 AM, carolynb said:

Thank you MintChocoChip! Is it crazy that I may not even go to the PCOM interview since they do not fund at all? I've had my parents pay for my undergrad and masters, I cannot put this on them. I need somewhere that offers assistance. Since I am in FL, my main goal is to go back up north (FL is not so great. At all). Trying to stay positive. Good luck to you and I can't wait to hear your status. I am definitely going to be messaging you!

You're welcome! I second what @abenz says about getting interview practice and making connections. It's always good to get practice and you never know what connections the people you interview with might have. I also wonder if PCOM has other positions that you might be interested in such as research positions. I don't know if it is typical in research or PhD programs, but I know in some job interviews you could get referred to other positions that could be better suited for you depending on your skill set. I understand the guilt of having your parents pay for your education since I'm in the same position. Having my parents pay for undergrad and part of my masters, I too am looking for places that fund. You're definitely not alone! Good luck to you too! 

On 1/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, latemeg said:

I'm so happy for you! Best of luck with your interview, I hope it goes well :)

I f*cking hate the AW tasks. If there is ANYTHING I'm confident about, it's my writing, and I resent being graded by a robot. Lol

Thank you! :) I think it went well. It appears I researched the department well. I'm just hoping for the best. Also, I just realized we have similar interests and a few of the same schools, although I focus on knowledge, social psychology, and social networks on top of sociology of health/med. Hopefully we both get in somewhere! 

Also, with the AW, I feel like the "writing" in the title is a misnomer. I heard that there used to be a logic section and I feel like that is what is really being tested (or the "analytical" part). It seems to be more about how much you can tear the argument or issue apart while writing in a way that makes sense than actual prose. That's why I totally believe you that your writing skill isn't reflected by your score (which is still great by the way!). 

On 1/19/2018 at 4:16 PM, wildflower21 said:

Hey there! While our research interests are different, we have a few schools in common: University of Wisc Madison, Indiana-Bloomington, and UIowa. I'd say your alma mater is prestigious to me at least (plus I have two professors that like the research that someone there did). I also come from an undergrad that isn't "prestigious" and I have no pubs. I still think we both have a shot at this though. Your accomplishments along with your recovery just shows how you didn't allow mental illness to define you and your persistence in achieving your goals. That's really awesome and I'm glad you took the time to take care of yourself. Best of luck to you and your endeavors!

1 hour ago, wildflower21 said:

My GPA stayed the same, so it's not like it really matters, but what would you guys suggest?

Email the graduate coordinators for each application to check first! You don’t want to upload a new transcript if they’re already reviewing the applications because then the documents they’re reviewing might not match the new ones you’ve submitted, which could cause confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about the UW-Madison acceptance process? I got an automated email saying that I had been recommended for the PhD program, but that the admissions office needs official transcripts. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but I need some assurance before I lose my mind.

Edited by crushinator

18 hours ago, crushinator said:

Anyone know anything about the UW-Madison acceptance process? I got an automated email saying that I had been recommended for the PhD program, but that the admissions office needs official transcripts. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but I need some assurance before I lose my mind.

The program recommends you for admission, and then you send your official transcripts to the graduate school so they will give you the OK to be admitted officially. Unless there's something wonky with your official transcript, you'll be admitted. Congrats!! Maybe I'll see you at the visit day. 

@crushinator I too would like to hear more..I found it offputting that the graduate school sent this email out without even writing 'congratulations' anywhere in the email, and that the department still hasn't contacted people yet (or at least not systematically). This on top of the funding issue doesn't exactly inspire confidence about the program, in my opinion. 

On 2/4/2018 at 12:16 AM, latemeg said:

Not yet. I'm sure it's in the official letter. Coming soon!

On 2/2/2018 at 6:09 PM, crushinator said:

Visit Day is March 9th. Found on the department website. Confirmed by calling the department on Friday. When I called, she also mentioned that we would get an email today or tomorrow with more information on the visit day and funding (though funding would not be confirmed until the March 9th visit day)