PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

57 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

It's hard to explain. Everything was a separate piece, including the application fee, that had to be "submitted" and when it was it received a check mark. Then after everything had a check mark there was a button to "submit application". I have no idea why they did it that way. I just received an email back from them that said they do receive the pieces as they are submitted and because I paid before the deadline my application is being reviewed. So relieved! 

The Wisconsin-Madison application was like that, I think. Very glad this worked out for you!

1 minute ago, PsyZei said:

The Wisconsin-Madison application was like that, I think. Very glad this worked out for you!

Thank you! Yeah it was so different, I should have paid more attention but oh well at least it's okay! 

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

It's hard to explain. Everything was a separate piece, including the application fee, that had to be "submitted" and when it was it received a check mark. Then after everything had a check mark there was a button to "submit application". I have no idea why they did it that way. I just received an email back from them that said they do receive the pieces as they are submitted and because I paid before the deadline my application is being reviewed. So relieved! 

Oh what a strange application process. I'm so glad they are honoring your application fee! That must have been quite a scare.

5 minutes ago, pataka said:

Oh what a strange application process. I'm so glad they are honoring your application fee! That must have been quite a scare.

It really was. It's one of my top choices so I had a minor heart attack. Now back to my normal level of anxiety! 

I saw someone posted on the survey that they got an interview with UMass Amherst but the program just said psychology. Does anyone know if this was clinical or what specific track of the psychology PhD program? Just wondering if I should be worried...

2 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I saw someone posted on the survey that they got an interview with UMass Amherst but the program just said psychology. Does anyone know if this was clinical or what specific track of the psychology PhD program? Just wondering if I should be worried...

Seconded...gulp

Well...*panic mode*...

I failed to realize one of my LoR was not submitted yet as the school does not send you a link to check your status upon submission. Thanks, Indiana University! :angry: -_- Have sent an email to the writer as well as the program. Everything else was submitted in a timely manner...

Now I am mad.

6 hours ago, Boronmage said:

Hey everyone, 

I just got off the phone with a POI at UCLA for the developmental psychology program. We had a nice chat (if not a little scattered). However, he didnt mention anything about formal interviews, but seemed to like the conversation.

Is it typical to recieve a formal invite during this type of conversation or should I expect that during a post-email (or not at all)?

Just wanted to get thoughts/ others experiences!!

During the phone interview I had with UCLA, my PI extended an informal invitation but said to not take it too seriously because she would have to have the department approve it before the end of the week. While this was in social psych, I think the department as a whole may work similarly. If that’s the case, then they can’t really extend formal invites in these convos and you should wait to hear officially from the department :) I imagine they’re gearing up to send those invitations out and that’s why you were contacted! 

1 hour ago, nicokren said:

Well...*panic mode*...

I failed to realize one of my LoR was not submitted yet as the school does not send you a link to check your status upon submission. Thanks, Indiana University! :angry: -_- Have sent an email to the writer as well as the program. Everything else was submitted in a timely manner...

Now I am mad.

I can imagine how aggravating that is. Luckily you caught it today, so the person you emailed in the program will see your message before holiday break. Silver lining, I guess? I don't know. Keep your head up, though, and let us know how it turns out! I hope they understand and your letter writer knocks it out of the park to make up for the anxiety s/he caused.

I'm starting to think most applicants who have been narrowed down have been contacted by POIs for either informal interview and/or interview invites. Searching the results for past years trends seem to indicate the same thing. I guess Dec 15 applications and jan 1st applications are still being reviewed but Dec 1st applications seem to be done :(

28 minutes ago, loffire said:

I'm starting to think most applicants who have been narrowed down have been contacted by POIs for either informal interview and/or interview invites. Searching the results for past years trends seem to indicate the same thing. I guess Dec 15 applications and jan 1st applications are still being reviewed but Dec 1st applications seem to be done :(

Depends on the field, school, POI. Social psych is usually a bit late due to a bunch of important meetings/conferences in the field around this time - so I've been told. 

3 hours ago, loffire said:

I haven’t been contacted either. I really thought I had a strong application and expected to make it to the interview round. Not sure what my next step is to improve my future chances. 

Guys please don't despair - this is my second time applying and I am honestly shocked to have heard so early from any school. As a frame of reference, I heard from the same school for two application cycles, last time they reached out early/mid January..this time they reached out yesterday. Of the 14 clinical psych programs I've applied to, I've only seen 3 pop up on the grad cafe survey and they were all due Dec 1st. Easier said than done, but it ain't over til the fat lady sings (I.e. rejection). This process is awful and I spent the first time hyperventilating from about...november to march. Dont do that to yourself! Try to focus on the holiday and getting through this month. It'll be OK! And you'll see more streamlined activity in January.

10 hours ago, nicokren said:

Well...*panic mode*...

Now I am mad.

Bummer! I was in a similar panic yesterday. Hopefully they will be lenient, especially because the LOR has to be submitted by the person who is writing it and not by you so it is not entirely in your hands. And as you said you already paid. Fingers crossed for you!

I need to stop rereading my personal statements. I just found a really stupid error in one of mine that I somehow missed. I wrote "would be provide me with..." *face palm* :wacko:

1 hour ago, Timemachines said:

Guys please don't despair - this is my second time applying and I am honestly shocked to have heard so early from any school. As a frame of reference, I heard from the same school for two application cycles, last time they reached out early/mid January..this time they reached out yesterday. Of the 14 clinical psych programs I've applied to, I've only seen 3 pop up on the grad cafe survey and they were all due Dec 1st. Easier said than done, but it ain't over til the fat lady sings (I.e. rejection). This process is awful and I spent the first time hyperventilating from about...november to march. Dont do that to yourself! Try to focus on the holiday and getting through this month. It'll be OK! And you'll see more streamlined activity in January.

Going on a bender till February. See you guys then hahaha

I really needed to read this. It's my first time applying and I have no idea what to expect. Time to clear my head, stop frantically checking email, and spend some time with my family!

Thanks. I had initially thought that it was still early in the process and there's a lot of stuff still developing, so no need to panic really. But then I was reading some of the posts here that if invites were not sent out by yesterday, you likely weren't receiving one, and I began to reconsider/reevaluate how much about and how well I knew the timeline. Thanks for the assurances.

9 hours ago, loffire said:

I can understand your despair. I haven't heard from any schools yet, either. However, I'm almost positive that only 2 of my 4 schools have started contacting people yet. I really think there will be another slew of application activity come early January. Try to stay positive!

I managed to zen myself out about the being in a lull until after new years... then one of my schools + programs finally popped up on the survey yesterday. :wacko: I'm down for that bar crawl.

5 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

I managed to zen myself out about the being in a lull until after new years... then one of my schools + programs finally popped up on the survey yesterday. :wacko: I'm down for that bar crawl.

Sorry to creep but if you're talking about Nebraska-Lincoln, all of the posts I saw were rejections, so maybe that's good? :mellow:

3 minutes ago, pataka said:

Sorry to creep but if you're talking about Nebraska-Lincoln, all of the posts I saw were rejections, so maybe that's good? :mellow:

Someone posted to survey yesterday about an University of Iowa interview.... but I'm about to go check for Nebraska-Lincoln, now- lol. :D

Edited by PsyZei